Game Day Vs the Crows - Etihad Stadium - 3:20pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Swing the axe!

Out: Maister, Wright, Newnes, Armitage, Savage, Stanley

In: Lee, Bruce, Billings, Ross, Milera, Hickey
Wouldn't disagree with any one of these changes individually, but mass changes never have a positive effect on a team. Maister and Savage have to go and obviously Wright is injured, I'd leave it at that.

Well it wasn't incredibly productive but I at least thought swapping Gwilt and Maister at half time showed that the coach won't stick stubbornly to a gameplan if things aren't working.

Our defence was just unbelievably terrible today. Fumbling 15m out from Crows goal several times. Midfield wasn't crash hot either. We won a lot of clearances but they were such low quality. Stanley got some chances but thought overall our forwards were just getting shafted four out of five times.

Well thank god that's over.

At least we kept the margin below 100, not many other positives though.

Me too mate. I change the channel if Jarman is ever on TV.

I flicked over to it briefly today just to see that awesome goal from Aussie Jones in the 2nd quarter, that was the highlight of the day.

He kicked a similar goal against West Coast in our miraculous last quarter comeback at Subi in '98, Spida Everitt played a blinder that day too. Two of my favourite Saints players of all time, both had talent in spades.

When Savage kicked that goal in the last quarter Drew Morphett said "He still doesn't look as good as that other no.5 for St Kilda Aussie Jones" and then Scott West replied "Not many better Drew".

Damn right.

Swing the axe!

Out: Maister, Wright, Newnes, Armitage, Savage, Stanley

In: Lee, Bruce, Billings, Ross, Milera, Hickey

FB: Webster - Delaney - Dempster
HB: Gwilt - Bruce - Geary
CR: Jones - Hayes - Montagna
RK: Hickey - Dunstan - Ross
HF: Saunders - Riewoldt - Milera
FF: Billings - Lee - Longer
Int: Templeton - Curren - Ray
Sub: Steven

Geez you've wielded the axe there Uncle.

Maister and Savage deserve the chop, Wright is obviously out injured.

The others Newnes, Armitage and Stanley still have enough runs on the board to get a reprieve imo.

Stanley was alright. 13 touches, 9 marks and a goal. Not bad considering our disposal. Newnes is one of our few good users, he needs to stay in the team. Eli looks like he's out of puff give him a break. Maister rubbish, wright injured.

In: lee, billings and Bruce
Out: Maister, wright and Eli

The lack of effort was what disappointed me most. I don't care about the margin but some players looked like they didn't want to be out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not for making several changes just for the sake of it, but this week I think it may just be necessary, for a variety of reasons.

-Beau to go and I'm sure this needs no explanation, as he's just horribly out of form and surely it's demoralising to the team. Likely to be replaced by Lee.

-Savage to go because he's just not earning his spot I don't think and needs to go and earn it back again in the VFL. Likely to be replaced by any of Milera, Billings or Schneider, who possibly all deserve it more due to VFL form, past credits, or both.

-Wright to go due to injury. No direct replacement, position-wise, so one of the above 3, Bruce, or Ross, to take his spot in the 22.

-Eli may be due for a break. Played 93% game time last week and 92% this week but had just 8 possies. No harm to let him find some footy in the VFL, possibly playing midfield. Likely to be replaced by any of Milera, Billings, Schneider, or Ross.

-Longer out. Not much explanation necessary. Needs plenty of game time in the VFL I think, to build up both form and match-fitness. Hickey back if fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the pressed AR said Wright will miss 10-12 and Armo only 50/50 chance of playing next week

I just think they were buggered

The Dogs were pretty flat against North after their trip to Perth, they've since bounced back with good wins against Richmond and GWS.

The long trip and playing in warm conditions clearly has an effect so we should probably cut our players some slack.

We need to respond with a better effort next week though.

The Dogs were pretty flat against North after their trip to Perth, they've since bounced back with good wins against Richmond and GWS.

The long trip and playing in warm conditions clearly has an effect so we should probably cut our players some slack.

We need to respond with a better effort next week though.

We play Bombers and they'll be coming back from Perth and have a ton of injuries including Goddard

In hindsight probably could have rested seven or eight really after Perth, use the squad.

Would be poor coaching IMO, Richo is still a new coach, he would not know first hand how our players would cope after the "longest trip in footy" and now he has a clearer idea.

I just think they were buggered

A lot of players were, no question. But I thought there was a couple that we're going through the motions. Maister being one.

I know it's tough to criticise being our first disappointing game of the year, but I think we all at least want to see the 22 on the park giving everything they've got.

Stanley was alright. 13 touches, 9 marks and a goal. Not bad considering our disposal. Newnes is one of our few good users, he needs to stay in the team. Eli looks like he's out of puff give him a break. Maister rubbish, wright injured.

In: lee, billings and Bruce
Out: Maister, wright and Eli

No Schneider???

Remove this Banner Ad

Back