Review vs West Coast @ Etihad

Remove this Banner Ad

Dint' get to watch the game, just had a look over the stats great to see J. Stevens have another blinder absolutely love the way he goes about it! Bruce has been a huge surprise as well, it makes me wonder what other gems might be running around in the NEAFL for GWS...
It looks like Fisher had a abnormally quiet game did he cop an injury? He's normally pretty consistent performer.

Dint' get to watch the game, just had a look over the stats great to see J. Stevens have another blinder absolutely love the way he goes about it! Bruce has been a huge surprise as well, it makes me wonder what other gems might be running around in the NEAFL for GWS...
It looks like Fisher had a abnormally quiet game did he cop an injury? He's normally pretty consistent performer.
Hamstring injury and sat out a quarter and a half.

Spewin he's one of my favorite backmen was great to see him getting back to full fitness after struggling with injury for the past couple of seasons.

Not replacing Geary was an odd move but debuting Goddard against West Coast would have been a Dawson. The ball coming in thick and fast with the giant West Coast forward line would've been demoralising even for a competitive beast like Goddard. With Fisher out this week though Little G has to come in.

Not replacing Geary was an odd move but debuting Goddard against West Coast would have been a Dawson. The ball coming in thick and fast with the giant West Coast forward line would've been demoralising even for a competitive beast like Goddard. With Fisher out this week though Little G has to come in.

I like Lee for Fisher, both similar types. Lee can drift across the front to pick off marks and use the ball well. Goddard is probably more the right replacement for Delaney.

Gee I like watching D-Mac live. He does some extremely good things already and his overhead marking is already A-grade. Not only is he extremely strong overhead, but he not only marks it at the highest point, but he also leaps to a good height and then stretches to mark it at the highest point, which makes his marking even better. They already have the confidence to kick it to him in positions when someone who is only average overhead would be bypassed.

Yet he's also bloody good when the ball's on the ground and will hunt it for as long as he needs to with his head over it and can tackle ferociously, yet his biggest asset is probably his linebreaking run, thanks to his tank/speed combo. Then there's his kicking! He has got a LOT of potential.

And I will reiterate that he will fill out a lot stronger than someone like Jimmy Webster. Dan's legs are already stronger/thicker looking than Jimmy's and I have no doubt he has a bigger/broarder torso/frame to build on. At the ground yesterday and on the TV Liam Duggan looked incredibly thin and straight up and down. He is listed around the same height as Daniel but to me is much more skinny/lightly framed than Dan.

Last edited:
Gee I like watching D-Mac live. He does some extremely good things already and his overhead marking is already A-grade. Not only is he extremely strong overhead, but he not only marks it at the highest point, but he also leaps to a good height and then stretches to mark it at the highest point, which makes his marking even better. They already have the confidence to kick it to him in positions when someone who is only average overhead would be bypassed.

Yet he's also bloody good when the ball's on the ground and will hunt it for as long as he needs to with his head over it and can tackle ferociously, yet his biggest asset is probably his linebreaking run, thanks to his tank/speed combo. He has got a LOT of potential.

And I will reiterate that he will fill out a lot stronger than someone like Jimmy Webster. Dan's legs are already stronger/thicker looking than Jimmy's and I have no doubt he has a bigger/broarder torso/frame to build on. At the ground yesterday and on the TV Liam Duggan looked incredibly thin and straight up and down. He is listed around the same height as Daniel but to me is much more skinny/lightly framed than Dan.

Wait until he (D-Mac) has another 2 years in the system - going to be yet another great pickup by Trout, Bains and the Gang!! (Sounds like a 70's rock/pop group):p:D

Goddard would have been an ideal match-up for McCinnes, surely?

Yet he's also bloody good when the ball's on the ground and will hunt it for as long as he needs to with his head over it and can tackle ferociously, yet his biggest asset is probably his linebreaking run, thanks to his tank/speed combo. He has got a LOT of potential.

I still reckon they got the measurements wrong or he grew. He seems tallish to me. I'm 6'2 and he's not a dissimilar height to me. Maybe slightly shorter but not by much. I think that's 188cm and I would say he would be around 186 to 187. He looks spot on size wise to Farren Ray up close. Similar size and build and even in his playing style. He's quicker though.

He certainly looks really quick, and he seems very confident, even at this early stage, to back himself to out-sprint his opponent (similar to how Jack Steven takes them on). His kicking has penetration, too.

Already one of my favorite players!

Great to see Billings getting a fair bit of it week in week out now. Just missing a few opportunities that he should take but that will come. The main thing is he is consistently getting 20 odd touches and creating opportunities. I think we'll see him spending more time in the midfield as the season goes on.

Yep, Billings has really only played to his potential for one quarter this year, yet he is averaging 21 possies per game, despite playing mostly forward all year. A lot to look forward to. You can pretty much pencil him in for a point when he has a set shot from within 30m of goal though. Just misses time after time from in close.

Did we really start Weller in the back half? Jeeeeezus that's an absolute howler IMO. Shenton is a walking turnover and Dempster is pretty close, throw in Weller back there and we've got no hope of clearing it out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Billings has really only played to his potential for one quarter this year, yet he is averaging 21 possies per game, despite playing mostly forward all year. A lot to look forward to. You can pretty much pencil him in for a point when he has a set shot from within 30m of goal though. Just misses time after time from in close.
A little pet peeve of mine is players who chose to use a 'pitching wedge' type kick when kicking for goal only 20-30m out... They always seem to miss cos it's unnatural to kick like that

Go back, kick it like your hitting a '3 wood' & kick through the ball with some purpose

Did we really start Weller in the back half? Jeeeeezus that's an absolute howler IMO. Shenton is a walking turnover and Dempster is pretty close, throw in Weller back there and we've got no hope of clearing it out.
They matched Weller to Le Cras across half back... A matchup error of epic proportions IMO

They matched Weller to Le Cras across half back... A matchup error of epic proportions IMO
Not thrilled with Eli as a defensive forward either just quietly! Kept Hurn quiet but that means he's quiet as well.

That was no-where near as epic as going into the game so short down back and being in all-sorts if our one and only KPP option (who is 33yo and has a recent history of multiple injuries and who will be required to play a more explosive role, at FB, on someone like Kennedy) happens to get injured. I thought it was a bad move when I first saw the team on Thursday night and it sure turned out to be a stinker.

That was no-where near as epic as going into the game so short down back and being in all-sorts if our one and only KPP option (who is 33yo and has a recent history of multiple injuries and who will be required to play a more explosive role, at FB, on someone like Kennedy) happens to get injured. I thought it was a bad move when I first saw the team on Thursday night and it sure turned out to be a stinker.

Agree

Chips isn't a spring chicken, we've got to manage him.

Don't do that by playing him FB when he's been playing so well as a CHB.

I was so sure they'd play Simpkin.

Everyone appears to scoff at the notion, but he was emergency so they must of at least toyed with the idea of it?

Yes he is undersized, but Dempster was on him at times anyway, so there goes that theory.

Blake Acres is another one I reckon you really have to see live to get the best appreciation of what he is like or how good he can be. He's got something special that you can see in the way he moves around the ground and through traffic and so-on and being the height he is makes it stand out even more. He is classy, tall, smooth and as he showed yesterday- when he broke away from a couple who were chasing him, by arching his back and putting his foot down- has gears that he can access when he really needs to. He just catches the eye more than most and has the potential to be very good and linebreaking, in an inside midfield role.

Got 3 more 3rd-up hitouts yesterday as well, after getting a bunch a couple of weeks earlier in the televised VFL game. Going to be very useful at that.

So this notion that Acres is slow is buried now? He's not Usain, but goes well for a big unit.

Blake's GPS shows that he definitely is not slow. He's worked hard on his running since last season. I think he's just one of those guys that gives the perception on field that he's a little lazy.
That's something that stood out at the ground yesterday. At one stage he had a possession across HB and what only seemed like a couple of seconds later he bobs up and gets the ball again about 50m further up the field and kicks it into the forward 50. Only someone with some genuine speed (probably from his long, loping strides) would have been able to cover the ground that quickly to get on the end of it again. Did the same sort of thing at least 3 times in that VFL game against Casey a couple of weeks ago. He genuinely breaks lines.

That's something that stood out at the ground yesterday. At one stage he had a possession across HB and what only seemed like a couple of seconds later he bobs up and gets the ball again about 50m further up the field and kicks it into the forward 50. Only someone with some genuine speed (probably from his long, loping strides) would have been able to cover the ground that quickly to get on the end of it again. Did the same sort of thing at least 3 times in that VFL game against Casey a couple of weeks ago. He genuinely breaks lines.
Blake BontemAcres

McCartin 3 goals and White 2 goals against Box Hill today in the 2s...

Have to come under at least a bit of consideration if Big Hick gets spelled and Roo doesn't come up...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back