Remove this Banner Ad

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
Canning is bogan land. A lot of people who'd vote for what's left of One Nation before the party of "gays and lesbians".
Didn't seem that way when I was there, but there were One Nation ads on a shop on one of the thoroughfares. I think that's more a Perth thing. I got approached by anti-immigration types at work, which was in the city.

I saw Canning as bog-standard Australia, rather than bogan-standard Australia, but I guess it depends on what constitutes a bogan... I've been called a bogan before and I didn't agree with that. :)

Noticed the PM is back in Canning but only in structured settings, no walking through shopping centres. May have received more than what the passing comment that was made yesterday.

But at least he can say he went there.

Is Hastie related to Bernardi, certainly a little bit of resemblance there.

the city of canning is quite diverse with some funky suburbs like vic park (becoming quite a entertainment and food district), wealthy suburbs like south Perth, country suburbs like kalamunda at the top of the hill and some real dodgy suburbs.

the division canning is larger still with even more diversity and located further south than the city of canning. this includes kelmscott, armadale and mandurah representing pretty dodgy areas and remote areas such as jarrahdale and serpentine which are notorious for bikie gang drug labs.

So I guess it depends of what areas you think of as to whether you see canning as bogan or otherwise.

the city of canning is quite diverse with some funky suburbs like vic park (becoming quite a entertainment and food district), wealthy suburbs like south Perth, country suburbs like kalamunda at the top of the hill and some real dodgy suburbs.

???

Vic Park is in the Town of Vic Park, South Perth in the City of South Perth and Kalamunda in the Shire of Kalamunda.

The City of Canning is the essence of a middle-class suburban city, with a bit of variation. The northern side (Bentley, Wilson, Cannington) is poorer on average than the southern side (Riverton, Willetton, Rossmoyne).

The Division of Canning is far more varied. It also includes a very small part of the City within it.

Ratts of Tobruk

Cancelled
May 1, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ATV Irdning
If Labor really weren't trying in WA*, they will have to throw a bit at it now you'd think.

*(rather than that just being pre-emptive belittling of Abbott by Bishop)

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Didn't seem that way when I was there, but there were One Nation ads on a shop on one of the thoroughfares. I think that's more a Perth thing. I got approached by anti-immigration types at work, which was in the city.

I saw Canning as bog-standard Australia, rather than bogan-standard Australia, but I guess it depends on what constitutes a bogan... I've been called a bogan before and I didn't agree with that. :)

Well Armadale would generally fit most peoples standards of bogan

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Just heard the start of a Labor advert whilst flicking through the radio on the way back from uni
"Hastie grew up in Sydney"

If Labor really weren't trying in WA*, they will have to throw a bit at it now you'd think.

*(rather than that just being pre-emptive belittling of Abbott by Bishop)

An article in the West suggested Labor were spending $300,000 on this election which is about $50,000 more than they would have spent on it on a full national election.

They were never tanking.

Libs spending $600,000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Geof Parry: Your opponent has been on the radio this morning calling for you to say whether you support your party's cuts to defence pensions and also just to defence pay. What's your position on that?

Andrew Hastie: Yesterday I made some comments after I was asked a question. People want honest answers and I gave an honest answer on that. People are concerned that I'm going to take a partisan approach to Canberra if I'm elected. Of course I won't – I gave an honest answer yesterday about how I felt overseas, serving in Afghanistan. But what's really important throughout this whole campaign is the people of Canning. I want to be their champion, I want to fight for them and that's what I'll always come back to. They're my boss – hopefully, definitely tomorrow they'll be my boss but certainly I've been taking their issues forward over this campaign.

GP: What do you think people like Peter Tinley and Paul Papalia, who were both former serving special forces soldiers and now Labor MPs, would make of your comments about what you felt about Labor while you were fighting overseas?

AH: They're entitled to their point of view just as I am. I was asked a question yesterday and I answered it honestly [overriding as Mr Parry tries to interject] and that's how I felt.

GP: What didn't Labor do that you felt they didn't have your back?

AH: Look, as I made very clear today and yesterday I've highlighted the issues but I want to move on from that, that's in the past.

GP: But back it up, back it up! What did they do or not do?

AH: No, Geof, Geof, Geof – I mean, you can talk to [TV journo] Matt Moran, I've served with Matt Moran he did a great job as the public affairs officer in 2009 as part of the mentoring and reconstruction taskforce number two and he's seen me on the ground.

GP: As far as I know he's not a member of the Labor Party. Your comments were about the Labor Party. I'm just wondering what they did or didn't do that gave you that feeling that they didn't have your back.

AH: Look Geof, I'm on the public record, I've made those statements, I want to move on –

GP: But you haven't backed them up.

AH: I believe I have actually Geof, so –

GP: So what was it? I might have missed it.

AH: No, no, you should read more carefully because I made the point very clear

GP: No, I've heard you say it twice, you said it at the state conference that they didn't have your back, but you didn't say why you felt that way.

AH: Look, with respect Geoff –

[bystander yells good-naturedly] Hastie, you dickhead!

Another reporter, taking the opportunity: Is there one example, Mr Hastie, of what the government did or failed to do that left you with the feeling that you weren't being properly supported?

AH: Look, people asked me yesterday why I've gone into politics. I have firsthand experience of what it's like to serve within a policy framework. And so the point I made yesterday was that the policy framework that I worked under I didn't think was a great one. And that's inspired me, among other things, to go into politics. Now that's unfortunately become a headline this morning; I didn't want it to be that way, because this is ultimately about the people of Canning. And –

GP: You've made a big deal about your military service, and the allegation is you took a cheap shot at Labor on a couple of occasions accusing them of not having your back, and you did it for some sort of political advantage.

AH: People can say what they want. Ultimately when I was asked the question I gave an honest answer.

Mr Hastie got some relief when a reporter broke in to ask about his ice action plan, and was able to return to speaking about his efforts to speak with people "on the ground."

http://theage.com.au/federal-politi...no-geof-parrys-questions-20150918-gjpu6u.html

Lion of Panjshir

Team Captain
May 7, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The God-like perception that public has of our soldiers is truly mind-boggling. Sure, they served, but they are paid more than any other soldier in the world with, often, far less risk.

Hastie seems to like the sound of his own voice. Reckon it will get him into trouble when he keeps wheeling out war stories. Will find parliament a far different enemy, IMO.

Mar 17, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
The God-like perception that public has of our soldiers is truly mind-boggling. Sure, they served, but they are paid more than any other soldier in the world with, often, far less risk.

Hastie seems to like the sound of his own voice. Reckon it will get him into trouble when he keeps wheeling out war stories. Will find parliament a far different enemy, IMO.

He's also a 'Calithumpian Creationist', un reconstructed at that! He & Abbot would be an interesting pair at a dinner party:rolleyes:

GoldenSky

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Hastie always seemed to me to be a candidate with Abbott written all over his selection.

Although, seeing Hastie fail to support the PM in the media the other day (unwilling to state whether he wanted the PM campaigning on the ground with him) confuses me.

In any case, Keogh is definitely the better candidate by a country mile.

If Hastie is one of those now infamous captain's picks, then the Libs have missed a good chance to get some talent into a fairly safe seat. It's difficult to see him being anything other than a career backbencher.
He really reminds me of Bernardi. There is an arrogance about him that I can't stand in people.
Fancy bring up Labor let the troops down? If I was in the army he certainly wouldn't inspire me to lay down my life for him. Wishy washy sook.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Carlton
The really reminds me of Bernardi. There is an arrogance about him that I can't stand in people.
Fancy bring up Labor let the troops down? If I was in the army he certainly wouldn't inspire me to lay down my life for him. Wishy washy sook.

Labor pissed more money into defence than the libs did. Jesus, have we forgotten the recent renumeration tribunal fiasco when Lambe got stuck into Abbott for the freezing of soldiers pay, and the stripping of entitlements?

That said as an ex serviceman, soldiers hate Labor. Most of the enlisted blokes would vote for One Nation if given a chance.

An article in the West suggested Labor were spending $300,000 on this election which is about $50,000 more than they would have spent on it on a full national election.
That figure by Labor would have to be more than suggested. They needed to replace all their marketing material hastily this week which had Abbott plastered over it.

Crawb

Norm Smith Medallist
SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Has anyone seen Andrew Hastie and Cory Bernardi in the same room? Coincidence, I think not!! ;)

Seriously though with the rise of Turnbull it has probably taken all the fun out of this. Hastie will hold on but the question will be by what margin. The only other remotely interesting thing about this by-election is which party finishes 4th and gets to claim the 'best of the rest' really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back