Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
Couldn't see another thread on this so if there is one already I apologise.

I saw this on afl.com.au yesterday and was surprised there was nothing about it on here. Considering the discussion in particular between WA footy fans and those of clubs in shocking stadium deals at Docklands I thought it was interesting that this causes the potential for WCE/Freo to be stuck negotiating a contract with a stadium operator and having no leverage. What potential impact will this have on the revenues of the clubs? Will it be an Adelaide Oval situation?

"This decision also presents us with a range of concerns about the potential user agreements for our two AFL clubs at Perth Stadium and whether they will generate sufficient returns to sustain football in Western Australia."

WA's sport and recreation minister Mia Davies was confident WA's AFL clubs, Fremantle and West Coast, would have no issues negotiating user agreements with Stadium Australia Operations.

"We are very confident they will be able to continue to negotiate along with the state," Ms Davies said.

Will this take the "footy development" in WA out of the hands of the WAFC? Or will they be subject to a discretionary government budget?

The Premier also said that WA football would continue to be funded via a revenue stream generated from the stadium despite football not operating the venue.

"Out of this contract, to be finalised, there will be a profit sharing arrangement and a revenue flow for the state government," he said.

"Out of that we will be able to maintain funding for the WA football commission and local football. Obviously still some work to be done but a big step forward for the stadium."

Relevant articles are here

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-08/wa-footy-misses-out-contract-to-run-new-perth-stadium

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-09/wa-football-in-good-hands-says-wafc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back