WACA Wallys

Remove this Banner Ad

What would someone from Perth know about a decent sporting stadium?

Perth people are rich as * at the moment. We travel everywhere to see the best stadiums. Your mining boom aint * all compared to ours QLD.

Plus that Gabba having those tri-coloured seats to make it look like its full hasn't fooled anyone for 10 years now.... your tests get * all attendance.

So how come the Indians aren't playing a test there?
Because it's a one off 4 test year, CA decided on losing the stadium with the lowest capacity. Both Nine and the BCCI wanted Brisbane to miss. Because it's a one off they let it pass. People calling last weekend's test the last test at the WACA are way off the mark though.

Hobart. Going through a re-development now to bring the capacity to 20,000. Sure their crowds aren't great either, but they don't get to hold "the big tests", only tests against teams no-one really wants to see, hosting an Ashes test would easily see people flock to the venue

Hobart? Could just about guarantee the test would be a washout!

Why won't they play a test at subiaco? Holds 43000, the facilities are substandard but surely they're better than the WACA? Its not like its being used over summer. If they did this for the next 4 years that would do until the new stadium is built?

Why won't they play a test at subiaco? Holds 43000, the facilities are substandard but surely they're better than the WACA? Its not like its being used over summer. If they did this for the next 4 years that would do until the new stadium is built?

Because the cricket would be substandard due to the dimensions of the ground and the facilities are s**t.
And nowhere near 43,000 people would turn up.

The cricket has less shade but no splinters in your arse.

This is the bit where there needs to be a bit of market research done. Is the demand for test match tickets being dampened because it is at the WACA? Are people being put off going to the cricket because they have to sit out in the hot sun all day? I'm certainly in that category as a white-boy Dutchie, I just fry out in the sun.

The first question should be 'why is a sell out match not filling the stadium'? At least the first 3 days of the Ashes test were sold out (might have been 4), yet there are lots of empty seats, predominantly in the members, who still operate under the archaic system of having their supposed best customers lining up at bullshit am to get a seat where they won't get skin cancer. If you could guarantee them all a nice undercover seat with a good view it's probably fair to say a lot more of them will show up.

The first question should be 'why is a sell out match not filling the stadium'? At least the first 3 days of the Ashes test were sold out (might have been 4), yet there are lots of empty seats, predominantly in the members, who still operate under the archaic system of having their supposed best customers lining up at bullshit am to get a seat where they won't get skin cancer. If you could guarantee them all a nice undercover seat with a good view it's probably fair to say a lot more of them will show up.

All the members were in the bar, thats why.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, i've been in that bar a few times and it doesn't hold three thousand people. You'd be struggling to give more than a couple of hundred a view of the game.

The Long Room it aint.

The bar was jammed packed on day 1, to the point security were blocking the doors and only letting people in as people left. Plus they also built a new two storey bar next to the players pavilion which could hold a few hundred people, and behind both the players pavilion and Southwest stand were an undercover area with a TV. Plus also got to consider Friday is a working day. Not all members would have been able to get it off.

That's like suggesting playing a test at footy park if AO was unavailable or something... There would be two men and a dog there haha

I'll admit I've never been to the WACA so I'm just going off what I have heard about it, but for the next stage of redevelopment, they should build a huge Western Grandstand to ensure sufficent shade (to replace the western hill) and an artificial beach to replace the eastern hill (similar to South Bank in Brisbane).

If I could go to the beach and watch live cricket all day I would seriously consider going to a WACA test. There should be tourist $$$ to be made.

I'll admit I've never been to the WACA so I'm just going off what I have heard about it, but for the next stage of redevelopment, they should build a huge Western Grandstand to ensure sufficent shade (to replace the western hill) and an artificial beach to replace the eastern hill (similar to South Bank in Brisbane).

If I could go to the beach and watch live cricket all day I would seriously consider going to a WACA test. There should be tourist $$$ to be made.

The problem is where the money is coming from. What you're suggesting is still several million dollars, probably in the tens of millions.

There is zero state government money available because they are already building a new stadium on the opposite bank of the river. The WACA's only hope was to raise funds privately through the apartment development and use the profits from that to build a new grandstand on the western side, not too far away from what you're suggesting. But that has collapsed now.

That beach idea is batshit insane. Firstly, where's it going to go? Even a pool would have so many problems. You can't fit either there. And what are you supposed to do, have people with bronze medallions standing around? It would be absolutely packed and no fun at all. You'd have queues and people upset about having to wait all day to only get a 45 minute swim or something. Then you have the heady cocktail of alcohol, heat, and water... Ludicrous.

The WACA should be a boutique little ground if anything. And that's probably all it could ever be. It doesn't need gimmicks.

Anyway, here's a hypothetical. It's 2017 and Cricket Aus have said they'll Bellerive or Canberra the fifth spot for tests series instead of the WACA. Cricket Aus are all in favour of Burswood Stadium hosting cricket, but the WACA just isn't up to it. The WACA however can do up the ground, make it presentable and not some dilapidated joint, in time for a 2020/2021 test series. Yet the WACA sit $5 million short of investment cash – until a company offers to pay that sum in exchange for 12 years of naming rights.

Would the WACA take the hit to their ego and let the WACA Ground become Bankwest Stadium and continue to host Australia? Or would they rather shift off to the Burswood Stadium and have only the Warriors play at the WACA?

Anyway, here's a hypothetical. It's 2017 and Cricket Aus have said they'll Bellerive or Canberra the fifth spot for tests series instead of the WACA. Cricket Aus are all in favour of Burswood Stadium hosting cricket, but the WACA just isn't up to it. The WACA however can do up the ground, make it presentable and not some dilapidated joint, in time for a 2020/2021 test series. Yet the WACA sit $5 million short of investment cash – until a company offers to pay that sum in exchange for 12 years of naming rights.

Would the WACA take the hit to their ego and let the WACA Ground become Bankwest Stadium and continue to host Australia? Or would they rather shift off to the Burswood Stadium and have only the Warriors play at the WACA?

TCA took the hit and got a naming sponsor for Bellerive to help fund their redevelopment, because like the WACA and unlike every other cricket ground they dont have the luxury of the AFL's wallets (well enough of it anyway). I dont think the WACA can afford to be sentimental about its name. Was probably a last resort but if this isnt a last resort scenario then I dont know what is.

Well it's the wrong shape for a start, the straight boundaries would be extremely short.
Because the cricket would be substandard due to the dimensions of the ground and the facilities are s**t.
Dimensions of Subiaco are 191 x 132m, which is comparable to Adelaide Oval's 190 x 130m. Nothing wrong with a short suqare boundary - nobody said all cricket grounds were exactly the same!

Dimensions of Subiaco are 191 x 132m, which is comparable to Adelaide Oval's 190 x 130m. Nothing wrong with a short suqare boundary - nobody said all cricket grounds were exactly the same!

You're right, nothing wrong with a short square boundary, which is what Adelaide Oval has. Subi though will have a short, straight boundary, which is a no no.

You're right, nothing wrong with a short square boundary, which is what Adelaide Oval has. Subi though will have a short, straight boundary, which is a no no.
Unless the ICC allows an East-West pitch like ANZ Stadium :p

Crowd for the 1st Big Bash game was just 15953. They kept the temporary stands up that were set up for the Ashes, which made the capacity around 24000. Was at the game and there were plenty of seats free in the Inverarity stand, and there was more people on the members side for day 4 of the test than there was yesterday. Maybe it was too close to Christmas for some people to turn up, but I think talk about needing a bigger stadium for Big Bash could have been premature.

I went last night, the ground is poor in nearly every aspect for supporter facilities, it's sufficient enough to hold a WAFL match or a Sheffield Shield match, but internationals and other big name cricket events definitely needs to improve substantially to compete with the four grounds in the country that are higher than it in the pecking order for tests and big name cricket international T20s and ODIs.

I went last night, the ground is poor in nearly every aspect for supporter facilities, it's sufficient enough to hold a WAFL match or a Sheffield Shield match, but internationals and other big name cricket events definitely needs to improve substantially to compete with the four grounds in the country that are higher than it in the pecking order for tests and big name cricket international T20s and ODIs.

From a distance it looked like a good animated crowd, the tight tense game helped the atmosphere no doubt. Surely they will be able to hold the big games at a new stadium. BBL may draw bigger crowds given a new comfortable stadium. The WACA would handle 1st class cricket & WAFL games?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back