No Oppo Supporters WADA Megathread - talk about it all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

Bailing them out is wrong but the AFL will never let any club fold. In reality it's a green light to clubs to take all sorts of risks because they know their exposure is minimal. This is why we have tanking.

Would love to see a relegation system.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-22/balme-blasts-wada-calls-for-afl-to-break-away

This is, in the most pretentious way that AFL media and such call it, an "industry expert" giving his opinion that could hold some weight. That tripe.

He sounds like a drunk down the pub mouthing off to the bar staff who are definitely not listening and just extending the conversation until he buys more schooners.
Makes you wonder is Balme is worried about some Geelong skeletons in the closet. Robinson was there in 2007-2011 (i think), and Dank was providing advice. All co-incided with Geelong's era of dominance. Wonder if Balme is worried that new testing methods on old samples might raise a few eyebrows.

No evidence or accusations, but when someone comes out with comments like this, you've got to wonder what his motivation is.

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned but I think back to that Essendon match where we were all over them in the first half. And they reeled back the huge deficit to almost beat us.

Surely that was the peptides at play?

I remember Essendon jumped out of the blocks early on in that season but fell into a heap. Guess their bodies just broke down throughout the season. Goes to show the supplements program was not at all healthy for their bodies.

Excuse me if this has already been mentioned but I think back to that Essendon match where we were all over them in the first half. And they reeled back the huge deficit to almost beat us.

I remember Essendon jumped out of the blocks early on in that season but fell into a heap. Guess their bodies just broke down throughout the season. Goes to show the supplements program was not at all healthy for their bodies.

I remember the first round that year and my shock at the Essendon players. They had gone from pretty skinny to quite a lot larger over the pre-season. If it's one or two players then it's nothing but when it is most of the squad, it's suspicious. It is that shock that had me convinced from the day that it was reported that they had been cheating.

The falling in a heap was due to soft tissue injuries. Rapid muscle growth leads to increased strength that the body is not used to and then you get injuries. Robinson said that he advised increasing aerobic workouts to bring the bulk back down and reduce the soft tissue injury risk. Hird ignored his advice because he wanted big bodies. Instead he got lots of injuries that he blamed on Robinson. You are absolutely correct, not at all healthy.

I think the thing to say after reading this article is 'and so say all of us' http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...f-it-separated-from-wada-20160124-gmd9tb.html

I remain bitterly disappointed at the response of so called AFL hierarchy to the ruling. Media weren't far behind.

Balme's statements are ludicrous, and as per usual when it comes to Collingwood, entirely in their favour. After all, they've already received all their govt funding & built their facilities:cool: What happens to the rest of us is just too damn bad it seems. This govt funding is crucial to the Swans with the Moore park development ramping up, as I'm sure the Swans have made their needs clear in regard to training & office facilities etc.

I think the thing to say after reading this article is 'and so say all of us' http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...f-it-separated-from-wada-20160124-gmd9tb.html

I remain bitterly disappointed at the response of so called AFL hierarchy to the ruling. Media weren't far behind.

Balme's statements are ludicrous, and as per usual when it comes to Collingwood, entirely in their favour. After all, they've already received all their govt funding & built their facilities:cool: What happens to the rest of us is just too damn bad it seems. This govt funding is crucial to the Swans with the Moore park development ramping up, as I'm sure the Swans have made their needs clear in regard to training & office facilities etc.

We wouldn't be the only ones to lose out in the Govt funding area. Geelong would go into massive debt over the continuing developments of Skilled Stadium while the Hawks would have to forget about moving to Dingley as well as the Saints back to Moorabbin. Use of Government controlled Stadiums (such as the MCG) would be brought into question. Then there is the State League and regional league funding plus Auskick so getting rid of WADA isn't as simple as some think it would be.

It's pretty clear that Fitzpatrick and his cronies need to be moved on before the AFL can begin to put this sordid affair behind it. The arrogance and boys' club mentality consistently displayed by the AFL's head office is disgusting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's pretty clear that Fitzpatrick and his cronies need to be moved on before the AFL can begin to put this sordid affair behind it. The arrogance and boys' club mentality consistently displayed by the AFL's head office is disgusting.
Spot on. Fitzpatrick was responsible for the Goodes disgrace and now this. Balme is literally and figuratively a dummy for McGuire.

Re-posting link from main BF WADA board - because its a darned good read and answered more than a few questions I had. Also, utterly smites Gordon's huff & puff.
https://chriskaias.wordpress.com/2016/01/25/the-essendon-cas-verdict-your-top-15-questions-answered/
Very good read. Breaks it all down in an easy to understand way. Again, it shows how secretive the whole thing was. I was interested however, in how damning the comments about Gordon not having a clue what he was talking about were. This is supposed to be a partner in a highly recognised legal firm and yet he is effectively dribbling s**t and giving false advice. No wonder he is one of Eddie's puppets.

I seem to recall 2 or 3 seasons where Essendon jumped out of the blocks and then died in the arse at around the half way mark of the season. I believe that Gerard Healy contacted the AFL suspicious about how big they were and how quickly their performance yet was ignored.

I seem to recall 2 or 3 seasons where Essendon jumped out of the blocks and then died in the arse at around the half way mark of the season. I believe that Gerard Healy contacted the AFL suspicious about how big they were and how quickly their performance yet was ignored.

It was actually pretty funny. They jumped out of the blocks again in the 2nd year, and everyone on bf was calling their mid season collapse during the first few rounds of the season. An that's exactly what happened.

If I recall correctly, they fell apart even quicker in that second season.

The consensus was that they had just bulked up too much and their muscles couldn't carry the extra weight. However, that was prior to the doping knowledge.

It'd make an interesting case study, to determine the likely cause of the injury. Was it merely a weight thing? Or was it the fact that the muscles were built too rapidly, meaning they didn't have the strength a naturally developed muscle would have and therefore more prone to injury

Whatever the case. The proof is in the pudding. Their practices were risky and dangerous and the bombers should have been hauled over coals.

Hird has some nerve trying to defend his actions.

The results speak for themselves.

I don't blame the players for appealing. I know I would if I signed a document provided by the club to say what I was being given was safe and within the regulations. I'd be filthy that I've been suspended too and want to clear my name from knowingly doing any wrong. The issue is however the regulations deem the players to be responsible no matter the situation. They are responsible for what goes into their bodies. With or without a signed consent form from a club, group or other individual or entity. In all honesty though I'd highly doubt any of the players are seemingly equipped with the knowledge to specify a difference between one particular drug code and another. XYZ778X and AOD709 means nothing to the players, they just want to be assured it's safe and legal (which they were).

From the view of the players I'm sure they believe they did no wrong and I would support them on the facts of the case as I understand them to be. They signed consent forms which clearly indicated no illegality. They then were given something that was illegal. From their point of view how could they have stopped this? How could they be suspended and proven to have done wrong when this is the case? Obviously there is more to it which I am not aware of as I can't see how the liability and responsibility falls on their shoulders when the described scenario is the case (i.e. being mislead).

The thing I find amazing in all of this is the players doing the whole "sticking by the club" BS. It is the club & those charged with running it at the time they should be absolutely filthy and seeking revenge upon. Those that misled them and put their health in danger.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back