WAFL games moving to Channel 7

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 18, 2013
Perth WA
AFL Club
Fremantle
According to AFL.com.au, WAFL games will be televised on Channel 7 this year, as ABC cutbacks mean they can't guarantee they can cover the few games they already televise. Anyone got any more info on this? Hopefully it means that we'll get more Peel games televised each year, and preferably more than one match a week.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-01-24/wafl-moves-to-seven

Last edited:

ABC covered 1 game per week and whilst pleased we will still see wafl on TV it is only 18 games plus finals meaning that we will miss 3 or 4 regular season matches :(

Would rather the WAFC/7 treat all clubs equally. It's not helpful when all WAFL clubs struggle and two already have some degree of advantage with their AFL alignment. It should be Game Of The Round. In the rare chance Peel are good enough to get to that level, then they deserve as many GOTRs as any other team.

It might get some tv audiences. They can afford to advertise, cross promote and what not.
q
I agree, I have no idea ( and one or two wines ) but how easy is it going to be for east perth to get more sponsorship, with their main money man also running the tv coverage.
East perth will get coverage the first game of the season when there is no AFL on and oh surprise Peel have buy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad to find that WAFL football is leaving the ABC after all these years. I'm sure that Ch7 will provide a less than adequate replacement coverage.

The ABC's coverage of WAFL over the past decades is very underrated.

I'm expecting to see during the 7 coverage, the commentators flogging "framed prints of the 2014 Subi Premiership team" & "Basil stands up to Steve Hooper" prints.

What's the bet that in this PC world we live in the ABC still manage to cover the women's sports that about 3 people actually bother watch.

The PC world must have crept up on you because Women's Basketball has been on the ABC since the early 1980's. I'm not a fan of it, but I must be one of the 3 people you mentioned who has watched every game of the W-League in the past 7 seasons.

Shortly after the Fed Govt. funding cuts the ABC announced in November that they'd be cutting the Women's Basketball and W-League Soccer, as well as coverage of the Shute Shield, the NSW state Rugby competition.

There's been speculation about the ABC ending coverage of the WAFL for a number of years. Broadcasting of the SANFL went from the ABC to Ch 7 last year, the ABC's VFL coverage was already going as they commentators mentioned it would be their last year during some of the games and were speculating if their commentators would cross over to the commercial.

Do we know who will be commentating yet? The only positive will be if they bring over the ABC commentary team (minus Ken Judge).
One positive is it cant be Basil assuming he is still ruining Saturday arvo AFL.

Maybe someone like Mark Readings could be in line? (not much better than Basil)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back