2nds WAFL Watch 2014 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the game and here are some observations for what its worth.
Terrible first quarter, really good seconda and third quarters, and decent fourth quarter from Peel.
De boer and Ballard were both really good, but both had pretty average kicking games. Their stats flattered their impact on the game in my opinion, but both were fantastic at winning the contested football. Ballards kicking definitely needs some work, but he has improved his running and contested football winning ability incredibly since the start of the year.
A.Pearce was fantastic today. He spent the game playing on a Claremont small forward and showed brilliant agility and closing speed. His work in the first quarter where the Peel defence was underseige was fantastic. He also posseess the MJ sidestep with his ability to side-step through tackles, while also running and carrying the footy were both massive stengths in his game. His kicking still needs some work, but Im confident we have a potential star in A.Pearce.
Like others have said Wood was really skilled and composed today and Bradley competed fantastically before getting injured.
Sheridan and Crozier were also pretty good today. Eventhough neither won as much of the footy as Ballard or De Boer, both Sheridan and Crozier were more effective with their possessions.
Griffin won a ton of hit outs today, but also dropped quite a few marks and still looks significantly off his best form.
Menegola and T.Smith were both servicable without dominating today. Smith made a few costly errors and Menegola went missing for extended periods, but neither were terrible at any moment in the game. Vandeleur, Moller and Hannath on the other hand had deadset shockers. Hannath appears to be servicable when you look at the stat sheet, but when you watch him live he doesnt jum high enough and gets exposed for pace by the opposition ruckman as he is painfully slow. Vandeleur just looked like he couldnt be bothered today. He turned the ball over and looked disinterested in closing down his man.
Moller simply looked like WAFL level is a step above what he cappable of playing.

Anyway, that is my view on todays game.

Ask and you shall receive . Your turn Harry

Thanks mate

Did the Bradley injury look bad? I honestly thought he would be the next one to come into the AFL side

Sorry I didnt see it. Harry Reems had his binoculars on him at one point and said he thought he had done his hamstring.

Last edited:

"I'm quitting as coach at the end of the game if you lot win by 25 points or more!!"??

Very close but the word from the Peel rumour mill is that Peel is having a meeting with WAFC and Fremantle board on the alignment precisely on player selection and time on the ground of Fremantle players playing for the league team .
There are some very unhappy campers at Peel at the moment .
The main points to be raised I have been told from more than 1 source is that Fremantle have Peel that no Fremantle players are to play in the reserves and that Fremantle are restricting some players times on the ground during games .
The meeting has been scheduled for early next week .

Very close but the word from the Peel rumour mill is that Peel is having a meeting with WAFC and Fremantle board on the alignment precisely on player selection and time on the ground of Fremantle players playing for the league team .
The main points to be raised I have been told from more than 1 source is that Fremantle have Peel that no Fremantle players are to play in the reserves and that Fremantle are restricting some players times on the ground during games .

You never know, Freo could also have even asked for Peel to appoint a coach that has some idea how to develop players and coach a win. Without berating people he doesn't like...

I reckon Roger Hayden would be a great pick to finish out the season coaching Peel.

"We demand the right to finish dead last every season on our own terms dammit!"

"We demand the right to finish dead last every season on our own terms dammit!"
Think about it who wants to be the coach of Peel right now .
The rules that govern your ability to put a team together and to get consistency with your team is determined by Fremantle and who can play ,for how long on the ground and most of your team don't train with the rest of their team mates .
On top of that you can't drop any Freo payers to the reserves if he under performs no mater what . if you don't select him for the league team he doesn't play anywhere .
Also you have would normally play some Colts players from now until the end of the season because you may want to get exposure to league footy to see what they have got but Fremantle have a health list and want them all playing and keeping their match fitness up so its a no win situation for who ever the coach is .

^ All the more reason why it'd be apt for a Freo assistant to coach the team.

Exactly. Or if not one of our current assistants someone we headhunt for the role.

Freo providing the coach seems like the easiest solution for all involved.

A good win for peel today. I listened in on the 3/4 time address. Most of the coaching seems to be handled by the line coaches but I must say Shepherd was quite calm and measured in his talk. He spoke about lowering eyes when delivering inside 50 and not to bomb it long all the time. There was a good vibe in the group at 3/4 time, it would sure help the development of the players if they were in a winning position more frequently. sherrif has done a great job with the match report. I concur with the bit about Pearce. He's very clever in traffic, in congestion he keeps the ball moving with his hands. He raises it high to keep it off the opposition and waits for the best option for the handball. I'm not sold on woody yet. He sure is skinny but he does seem more likely to develop a physique than someone like Wilkins for example. Tanner smith worries me at times, he's a competitor but his abilities are in the schoenmaker range rather than the mcpharlin range. Tabs played a bit a FB but was badly beaten in 1 marking contest with handley in the goal square resulting in a goal to the tiges. He just didn't put any bodywork on him, he played mostly forward in the last qtr. Crozier is amazing at times. It's just a matter of time before he becomes a regular for freo. In the first qtr he had a running shot on goal from about 60m out into a slight breeze which bounced in the goal square 2m from the line. Unfortunately it bounced straight up and was easily gathered by the defender, it could just have easily bounced through for a goal. Duffy was good today, he ran hard, end to end at times but he didn't always get rewarded. It's the first time I've seen him play where he really looks fit. Hopefully he'll get a chance to develop his game in the remainder of the season. Deboer was very good as an inside mid. I don't know what it is about menegola but no matter how much of the ball he gets I just don't seem to notice him. He played as an inside mid and did quite well. From my previous reports you can probably tell I'm a big fan of Ballard. I really liked his game today, he's by no means an elite mid but he works hard and gets to every contest. He easily blew off orzel's tag with strength and hard running. There is a bit of a knock on his kicking, he used his right foot on a couple of occasions where he should have used his left and kicked over the head of a leading player once but it's still pretty good. You're not likely to get a fyfe with a 3rd round pick in the rookie draft but you could be lucky enough to find another Barlow. Sheridan struggled with the Fong tag but the tactics employed by Fong would not have gone unnoticed in the afl, they were disgraceful. It just proves how good crowley is at the role that he does it so effectively without doing anything illegal. To sheridans credit he only lost his temper once that I saw but it resulted in a free to peel.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

. I concur with the bit about Pearce. He's very clever in traffic, in congestion he keeps the ball moving with his hands. He raises it high to keep it off the opposition and waits for the best option for the handball. Crozier is amazing at times. It's just a matter of time before he becomes a regular for freo. In the first qtr he had a running shot on goal from about 60m out into a slight breeze which bounced in the goal square 2m from the line. Unfortunately it bounced straight up and was easily gathered by the defender, it could just have easily bounced through for a goal. Duffy was good today, he ran hard, end to end at times but he didn't always get rewarded. It's the first time I've seen him play where he really looks fit. Hopefully he'll get a chance to develop his game in the remainder of the season. I'm a big fan of Ballard. I really liked his game today, he's by no means an elite mid but he works hard and gets to every contest. He easily blew off orzel's tag with strength and hard running.

Cheers, great report. Enjoyed hearing the above in particular- especially as a crozier and duffy fan.

For old folks like me with bad eyesight, some minor adjustments to PR's post...

A good win for Peel today.

I listened in on the 3/4 time address. Most of the coaching seems to be handled by the line coaches but I must say Shepherd was quite calm and measured in his talk. He spoke about lowering eyes when delivering inside 50 and not to bomb it long all the time. There was a good vibe in the group at 3/4 time, it would sure help the development of the players if they were in a winning position more frequently.

sherrif has done a great job with the match report. I concur with the bit about Pearce. He's very clever in traffic, in congestion he keeps the ball moving with his hands. He raises it high to keep it off the opposition and waits for the best option for the handball. I'm not sold on woody yet. He sure is skinny but he does seem more likely to develop a physique than someone like Wilkins for example.

Tanner smith worries me at times, he's a competitor but his abilities are in the schoenmaker range rather than the mcpharlin range. Tabs played a bit a FB but was badly beaten in 1 marking contest with handley in the goal square resulting in a goal to the tiges. He just didn't put any bodywork on him, he played mostly forward in the last qtr. Crozier is amazing at times. It's just a matter of time before he becomes a regular for freo.

In the first qtr he had a running shot on goal from about 60m out into a slight breeze which bounced in the goal square 2m from the line. Unfortunately it bounced straight up and was easily gathered by the defender, it could just have easily bounced through for a goal. Duffy was good today, he ran hard, end to end at times but he didn't always get rewarded. It's the first time I've seen him play where he really looks fit. Hopefully he'll get a chance to develop his game in the remainder of the season.

Deboer was very good as an inside mid. I don't know what it is about menegola but no matter how much of the ball he gets I just don't seem to notice him. He played as an inside mid and did quite well.

From my previous reports you can probably tell I'm a big fan of Ballard. I really liked his game today, he's by no means an elite mid but he works hard and gets to every contest. He easily blew off orzel's tag with strength and hard running. There is a bit of a knock on his kicking, he used his right foot on a couple of occasions where he should have used his left and kicked over the head of a leading player once but it's still pretty good. You're not likely to get a fyfe with a 3rd round pick in the rookie draft but you could be lucky enough to find another Barlow.

Sheridan struggled with the Fong tag but the tactics employed by Fong would not have gone unnoticed in the afl, they were disgraceful. It just proves how good crowley is at the role that he does it so effectively without doing anything illegal. To sheridans credit he only lost his temper once that I saw but it resulted in a free to peel.

The move of Taberner to FB was terrible I agree . Grey and Smith were competing very well so why Cam went that one had to be a brain fade .
Menengola isn't WAFL quality never mind AFL . He has absolutely no idea where to run to or how to impose himself on a contest . My gut feeling is that he will be gone by seasons end . Wood was very good today . Very quick to sum up where the ball was going in flight and made good position to take marks on the lead . By far his best game so far for Peel .
De Boer was very strong at the contest and always making good position around the packs to get the ball or stoping a Claremont player have an easy possession . Griffin took some strong marks and dominated Seby all day .
Hannath is a big boy and gives a contest but Jesus if he had a brain he would be dangerous .
Claremont were denied space all day and the pressure applied by Peels defenders was first class .
Kepler dominated his opponent all day and he is deceptively quick when on a lead . The body was thrown all over the place and he was the go to man across HF ,as a result he was getting a lot of attention which freed up Wood to run into space and receive . You could tell the difference when he went off with the hamstring and Peel had to work harder to get the ball past the FH line .
Ballard has taken another step along the path to play in the league team ,his fitness and capacity to get to contest after contest all through the game awesome .
One a couple of points I will raise is that there were 2 players on the ground today that we should look to recruit in this coming draft one from peel and the other from Claremont . Dan Edwards finds the ball ,delivers I lace out finds time and space as well he moves through traffic mature age recruit but is such a player . The Claremont boy is No 19 Brendon Abbott , he has been recruited from Albany and for the first 6 weeks at Claremont played in the reserves because of fitness issues but he has improved that and is a first choice player for Claremont now .
When I spoke to the Claremont assistant coach they want him to build his fitness to go into the midfield but he has to build his running capacity before they are willing to play him there .
He reads the play beautifully and has a very strong physique and has terrific core strength . Very hard to move out of position and has a great pair of hands . He really stood out for me .This kid can play .

Oh FFS...

Another one for old folks like me with bad eyesight.

The move of Taberner to FB was terrible I agree . Grey and Smith were competing very well so why Cam went that one had to be a brain fade.

Menengola isn't WAFL quality never mind AFL. He has absolutely no idea where to run to or how to impose himself on a contest . My gut feeling is that he will be gone by seasons end.

Wood was very good today. Very quick to sum up where the ball was going in flight and made good position to take marks on the lead. By far his best game so far for Peel.

De Boer was very strong at the contest and always making good position around the packs to get the ball or stoping a Claremont player have an easy possession. Griffin took some strong marks and dominated Seaby all day.

Hannath is a big boy and gives a contest but Jesus if he had a brain he would be dangerous. Claremont were denied space all day and the pressure applied by Peels defenders was first class.

Kepler dominated his opponent all day and he is deceptively quick when on a lead. The body was thrown all over the place and he was the go to man across HF, as a result he was getting a lot of attention which freed up Wood to run into space and receive. You could tell the difference when he went off with the hamstring and Peel had to work harder to get the ball past the FH line.

Ballard has taken another step along the path to play in the league team, his fitness and capacity to get to contest after contest all through the game awesome.

One a couple of points I will raise is that there were 2 players on the ground today that we should look to recruit in this coming draft one from Peel and the other from Claremont:
  • Dan Edwards finds the ball, delivers lace out finds time and space as well he moves through traffic mature age recruit but is such a player;
  • The Claremont boy is No 19 Brendon Abbott, he has been recruited from Albany and for the first 6 weeks at Claremont played in the reserves because of fitness issues but he has improved that and is a first choice player for Claremont now.
When I spoke to the Claremont assistant coach they want him to build his fitness to go into the midfield but he has to build his running capacity before they are willing to play him there. He reads the play beautifully and has a very strong physique and has terrific core strength . Very hard to move out of position and has a great pair of hands. He really stood out for me. This kid can play.

couldhavebeen and PurpleReign learn to use the whole paragraph concept please, thanks muchly...

Dan Edwards??? Or Ed Dann perhaps? From the moment I saw him play against swannies early in the season I wondered where this guy had been hiding. If ever we were in the market for a small running half back this would be the guy.

Regarding A Pearce, was his nomination as emergency this week serious? Is he ready for a taste of afl? Is he going to be a defender? What does he need to work on?

Taberner playing back seems almost a mixed message to me, Pearce was "rewarded" by being selected as an emergency yet in recent weeks Taberner has been tested down back suggesting possible dissatisfaction with either Pearce's form as a defender or his actual role as a defender itself. Has he been tested forward much?

It's hard to say what's a Freo directive and what's a Cam Shepperd directive though with Peel and we have a lot of talls running around for them so maybe just a bit of a shuffle around to see who can play where now that their season is over. I thought Tabs had been developing nicely as a key forward so the swap to key defender has thrown me a bit, I actually like it because there's a lot of Tarrant about him, can run all day and is reasonably athletic and a good field kick too.

Deliberately drawing a long bow for the sake of discussion only but then you factor in Tanner Smith coming back into the fold who as far as I know has always been seen as a key defender and Keps being thrown forward suddenly and it's all a bit strange. I still like Pearce as an eventual MJ replacement.

Taberner playing back seems almost a mixed message to me, Pearce was "rewarded" by being selected as an emergency yet in recent weeks Taberner has been tested down back suggesting possible dissatisfaction with either Pearce's form as a defender or his actual role as a defender itself. Has he been tested forward much?

Pearce has been injured for half the season though hasn't he?

Like you say Pearce appears more of an MJ replacement, whereas I assume they hope Tabs could have potential to be more of a genuine KPD type.

I can't really see it myself, but he was always going to be a bit of a long shot in any position.

Pearce has been injured for half the season though hasn't he?

Like you say Pearce appears more of an MJ replacement, whereas I assume they hope Tabs could have potential to be more of a genuine KPD type.

I can't really see it myself, but he was always going to be a bit of a long shot in any position.
MJ replacement? Isn't Peace like 199 or something? That's pretty tall for a plus one running back.

Could have been a Freo directive perhaps?
Is this Freudian?

The selection of Pearce as emergency did seem like a token gesture. He had an ok game against the royals in his first game back from injury but nothing to warrant selection. He was better yesterday and will continue to improve. The thing he needs to work on most is his body but that is just a matter of time. Having said that his body size is similar to bootsma's who has played at the highest level, so perhaps that wouldn't stop you from giving Pearce an afl game. I think, with time, Pearce's body will fill out more than bootsma's.

I think the move of keplar to FF yesterday was one of necessity with both Gumby and Apeness missing. It's a shame he got injured as he was looking good up there albeit against a smaller opponent. He pulled a hammy on the far wing diving for a mark and slammed his fist into the ground as soon as he'd done it ala Nathan Buckley a few years back.

I also think the fact that we came perilously close to running out of tall big bodied defenders recently has prompted us to try Tabs at FB. I'm pretty sure this move was a freo directive and was done for 2 reasons. One, to continue to explore his capabilities as a defender and two, to restrict his running as he is obviously the emergency for today.

As Esti says, Tabs is a long shot no matter where we intend to play him. He's not great below the knees and has a big turning circle but his apparent "reluctance" to hit a marking contest hard will be a deal breaker at both ends of the ground if he can't improve this part of his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back