2nds WAFL Watch 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Eastern Rangers you've changed your name...is that in reference to the new WAAFL club?

Correct. Eastern Hills Hawks are now the Hills Rangers and have a side in the WAAFL Colts comp.

Personal for me because my dad helped start the Eastern Hills Hawks many moons ago. Before they existed everyone had to travel down the hill from the Mundaring area to play beyond U12's. He passed away last year and he'd be really pleased that the club has re-merged with Darlington/ Parkerville and now have better pathways for kids to follow.

Last edited:
Correct. Eastern Hills Hawks are now the Hills Rangers and have a side in the WAAFL Colts comp.

Personal for me because my dad helped start the Eastern Hills Hawks many moons ago. Before they existed everyone had to travel down the hill from the Mundaring area to play beyond U12's. He passed away last year and he'd be really pleased that the club has re-merged with Darlington/ Parkerville and now have better pathways for kids to follow.

I'm sorry to hear of your father's passing East, my thoughts go out to you. I think the name change in honour of your dad is perfect :thumbsu:

is pickering brook in that comp?I used to play U12s there

What were Lycetts goals like? Set shots? Joe the goose? Free kicks? On the run 50 out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's not AFL grade. I can't see his positives.
  • He's slow
  • Skills are c grade
  • Can't take a mark
  • Doesn't kick goals
He's just making up the numbers. Worsfold wasn't speaking too highly of him before he left. He's his is peak and unfortunately it's just too low.

Funny you say that because:

• He's much faster than Priddis
  • He can hit targets on the outside unlike Priddis
  • Has taken some great marks including one memorable one under pressure against Adelaide last year iirc
  • Started to kick goals in the AFL in his last game against GC before being dropped from the side inexplicably and regularly kicks goals in the WAFL, including 3 in last years grand final where he was BOG. has been injured since the start of this season but kicked a few goals in teh pre-season for us before being injured.
  • Has played less than 20 games in the AFL and is only young (22ish) so has plenty of time for improvement.
You might need to check up on these things about players and watch them a bit closer before you call them out incorrectly.

What were Lycetts goals like? Set shots? Joe the goose? Free kicks? On the run 50 out?

Sold more candy than Cadburys salesman of the year. Goal from set shot 45m out, another from the boundary then others from picking the ball up off the ground and running around his opponent.

• Has taken some great marks including one memorable one under pressure against Adelaide last year iirc
  • Started to kick goals in the AFL in his last game against GC before being dropped from the side inexplicably and regularly kicks goals in the WAFL, including 3 in last years grand final where he was BOG. has been injured since the start of this season but kicked a few goals in teh pre-season for us before being injured.
  • Has played less than 20 games in the AFL and is only young (22ish) so has plenty of time for improvement.
You might need to check up on these things about players and watch them a bit closer before you call them out incorrectly.
Are we talking about big tones? I've found he has no opposite foot, which is a worry.

I reckon he's ok but he's not going to solve out midfield woes. Priddis would easily regularly kick bags in the wafl too.

We simply need to draft as many mids as we possibly can and stop trading our picks like we're in premiership mode.

I wouldn't say there's much difference between Priddis and Hutchings. I'd have Hutchings in the best 22 but he's going to be no more than a solid workhorse. They're not carbon copies, no two players are but he has far more in common with Priddis than Shuey.

- He doesn't play fast. It's not a key trait of his. People pay too much attention to controlled tests.
- Based on 2013, they had almost identical efficiency. Obviously that's only one statistic but irrespective of inside/outside, they hit the target at similar rates.
- Marks are not going to be a feature of his game. It's about as relevant as me suggesting Priddis is a better marker than Lewis Broome.
- Hutchings has kick 1 career AFL goal. Hutchings' 16 goals in 2013 is more prolific than any WAFL season Priddis has had but across their WAFL careers, their goal rate is near identical, Hutchings 0.55 a game and Priddis 0.51 a game. Regardless, WAFL goals at that rate are largely irrelevant.
- He's 2 months off 23. It's easy to suggest everyone will improve, they probably will, the rate of which is most relevant. I don't think he has a large scope for improvement.

Now, I'm hoping I'm wrong and he becomes Sam Mitchell, I just don't think he will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hutchings isn't AFL standard. A hard working minor contributor and a good WAFL player. Sorry we need to move on and I am sure we will.
If he wins a Brownlow in 3 years I will retract otherwise I am spot on.

With the Gov going out, EP might get smashed again with so few players who can play KPD, I can see McInnes or Blee given a shot down there, hopefully not Tunners though since we need him to further develop as a forward atm. Using Brennan and Wilson as KPD's will never work. Hoping that for his and our sake, Hill finds some form in the WAFL in the next few weeks, he needs to play more like he did 2 seasons ago.

Last edited:
He's 2 months off 23. It's easy to suggest everyone will improve, they probably will, the rate of which is most relevant. I don't think he has a large scope for improvement.

Given that the bulk of our list is about 23, one could argue that having him in the side and keeping his form up at least gives us longer-term depth which matches the average age of our squad. We're one of the youngest teams in the AFL right now (especially with Glass & Cox gone soon) and our window is really 2016-2018 IMO. Priddis will be on the out or already gone by then so persevering with Hutchings carries some merit in my books.

That said, I feel that right now they both contribute similar value to the side. Having them both in the 22 is probably OK though.

is pickering brook in that comp?I used to play U12s there
I played colts there mattyc75, a fair while ago now. ;):( And we used to hate Mundaring, sorry ER.

I also am saddened by your loss E R, having suffered the same thing last year. :footy::footy:

And yep we weren't fond of Mundaring. Couldn't beat them tho.we always came second bloody cold playing early morning games in Mundaring too

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

How was your midfield?

How was your midfield?

Bloody awesome. I was part of it. ;)

You probably couldn't beat Mundaring because one of their player's brothers was the umpire mattyc75 :p We won 3 in a row, I think. Mid 80's for me.
Ian Ross was the heart and soul, Merv Mountford the coach. :thumbsu:
Yes, Della Franca's were a good footballing family.

Bloody awesome. I was part of it. ;)

You probably couldn't beat Mundaring because one of their player's brothers was the umpire mattyc75 :p We won 3 in a row, I think. Mid 80's for me.
Ian Ross was the heart and soul, Merv Mountford the coach. :thumbsu:
Yes, Della Franca's were a good footballing family.
Can't remember too many names.I was only u/13s

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

With the Gov going out, EP might get smashed again with so few players who can play KPD, I can see McInnes or Blee given a shot down there, hopefully not Tunners though since we need him to further develop as a forward atm. Using Brennan and Wilson as KPD's will never work. Hoping that for his and our sake, Hill finds some form in the WAFL in the next few weeks, he needs to play more like he did 2 seasons ago.

Brennan flew over as an emergency as well did he not so they don't even have him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back