2nds WAFL Watch 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

McGovern is a poor comparison, they played at different ends of the ground.

It is not a good sign when at times he is getting the oppositions third best tall defender, behind two East Perth listed players.
McGovern wasn't playing defense at Claremont at a similar age to McInness.

An AFL level big bloke playing in WAFL against no competition should have double those stats on average
Why should he? They don't always honour the lead or kick to where he is. EP are more conscious of Josh Smith and a large amount of the footy goes his way. McInnes generally has to roam far and wide to get his kicks, from the games I have watched of EP.

Played his best game yet for the Royals - but, boy, is he slow.

It's not pace that's his problem it's his lack of vertical leap and his turning circle.

Why should he? They don't always honour the lead or kick to where he is. EP are more conscious of Josh Smith and a large amount of the footy goes his way. McInnes generally has to roam far and wide to get his kicks, from the games I have watched of EP.

Which is fair enough too. Smith is considerably better contest mark at the moment.

Like McGovern was? It's still a game of football and he can't magically get the ball.

I'll be honest. If McGovern was played at East Perth as a forward the could have parked him 20m out in front of goals and put the ball on top of his head and he'd probably manage to kick five to ten goals a game depending on how well EP is doing up the ground. That's how dominant he is in the air at WAFL level.

It's not pace that's his problem it's his lack of vertical leap and his turning circle.

Which is fair enough too. Smith is considerably better contest mark at the moment.

Not knocking them for it just pointing out to the poster that teams don't always play through the AFL listed players, so they can't/won't get those stats.

Not knocking them for it just pointing out to the poster that teams don't always play through the AFL listed players, so they can't/won't get those stats.

You didn't watch the Foxtel Cup game when Smith didn't play and McInnes played full forward for 75% of the game. No presence, no quality leads, that's why he's not honoured.

I remember the same excuses being thrown around for Notte.

Big blokes on an AFL list should dominate WAFL

Someone with gif skills needs to do a gif of that moment he just stood there and got tackled and zoom in on his expression. Sums him up.

You didn't watch the Foxtel Cup game when Smith didn't play and McInnes played full forward for 75% of the game. No presence, no quality leads, that's why he's not honoured.

I remember the same excuses being thrown around for Notte.

Big blokes on an AFL list should dominate WAFL
Don't disagree that he doesn't have a presence. I am disagreeing that big blokes should automatically dominate WAFL. Paul Johnson dominates WAFL but didn't do much at AFL. From memory Kennedy didn't dominate when he went back to EF a few times either.

Don't disagree that he doesn't have a presence. I am disagreeing that big blokes should automatically dominate WAFL. Paul Johnson dominates WAFL but didn't do much at AFL. From memory Kennedy didn't dominate when he went back to EF a few times either.

If big blokes can't dominate at WAFL level, they won't get a touch at AFL level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dylan Main is someone I really hope comes on. Great size and has a really nice highlights package. Has pace, is great overhead and a good right boot.

Clem Smith will be a massive slider in the draft. Talking 3rd round to rookie pick at best.

Just not much to his game, small, fast but not super quick, sloppy disposal by foot. Lacks discipline and work rate, personally I wouldn't draft him in the rookie draft.

On the flip side Hardisty is just going from strength to strength with another 27 disposals in the ressies.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back