Wake up to yourselves!

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't believe some of the soft posts I've read tonight. We were crap when it really counted.

Probably none of you will like what I'm about to say, but I don't give a ****.

Want to win a flag? I know what is required (albeit in a different code).

Anyone who thought tonight was good enough is a loser. And those who offer any excuses.

Many here know my background - a born and bred NRL fan who got into AFL living in Sydney and in 1998 chose the hard road going for the Dogs, rather than the Swans or Dons, Pies etc.

But I was born and bred a Manly-Warrinigah NRL fan and in our hey day, we were a powerhouse team.

Sure we did all sorts of bad crap like raping poor clubs, which I do not support. Not only would have got Chris Grant (despite the twenty cent thing) but also Johnno and Westy.

Why am i posting this?

Because I used to support an NRL team that expected success.

Do you? Really?

I know what it feels like to go for a powerhouse team, and if you know your NRL history, we did OK but also failed a lot.

But I know what it means to go for a team that won flags, and failure in the finals, for whatever reasonable reason, wasn't good enough. And when we failed, it damned hurt.

Fast forward to AFL, Dry Rot, 2006 and tonight. Sure it was #1 vs #8. Sure it was unlikely we would win.

But we got utterly pantsed by the WCE, who are a likely a GF side again.

We were simply were not good enough, which is OK in it's self as far say the players go, but we can play a lot better than that.

I bet Eade isn't saying that he was really proud etc. He would be be spewing and so should all of us.

A loss like tonight is simply not good enough, and if you are not really hurting inside about how how we bowed out, then you don't really want a premiership.

Dry Rot said:
Care to elaborate on your ignorance?

Yes dude .. Though i do take some quasi umbrage at being labelled ignorant.

Firstly you had an avatar of the Sniper propaganda hero ... Then Stalin's wonderboy Zhukov ... So i assumed this one was also of one of your soviet heros ...

Alas i am not a walking talking encyclopedia of all historical figures.

I checked Google & gleefully agree that is indeed a picture of chuck.

It was not ignorance sir, twas simply a case of never laying my eyes on the visage of your hero Chucky boy.

Cheers Comrade

Jason Voorhees said:
Yes dude .. Though i do take some quasi umbrage at being labelled ignorant.

Firstly you had an avatar of the Sniper propaganda hero ... Then Stalin's wonderboy Zhukov ... So i assumed this one was also of one of your soviet heros ...

Alas i am not a walking talking encyclopedia of all historical figures.

I checked Google & gleefully agree that is indeed a picture of chuck.

It was not ignorance sir, twas simply a case of never laying my eyes on the visage of your hero Chucky boy.

Cheers Comrade

That's OK, I have some some sympathy for folk who have either been snap frozen or blind. And make gratuitous barbs about people here.

Chuck has been my avatar for a few months now. An interesting fellow - I can recommend you read up on him.

Dry Rot said:
That's OK, I have some some sympathy for folk who have either been snap frozen or blind. And make gratuitous barbs about people here.

Chuck has been my avatar for a few months now. An interesting fellow - I can recommend you read up on him.

OK - Dry Rot - sorry if i've annoyed you .. Time to shake hands. :)

This time i'm off & no further snipes from me.

Cheers mate .. Pretty sure 2007 will be a much better Footballing year for us.

Seeya!

Jason Voorhees said:
OK - Dry Rot - sorry if i've annoyed you .. Time to shake hands. :)

This time i'm off & no further snipes from me.

Cheers mate .. Pretty sure 2007 will be a much better Footballing year for us.

Seeya!

Fair enough. Hard to tell who has drunk more tonight. :)

Let's kick ar$e in 2007!

Cheers

Hi DR how are you feeling this morning?

It's good to see a [former] mod having a bit of a spray every now and again. It is certainly warranted after last night.

And thanks for teaching me how to get around the swear filter with fl@ir and v1m rather than f****n ast*****ks.

:D :D :D

Dry Rot said:
I can't believe some of the soft posts I've read tonight. We were crap when it really counted..............A loss like tonight is simply not good enough, and if you are not really hurting inside about how how we bowed out, then you don't really want a premiership.
Absolutely 100% spot on DR. We cannot accept that effort or we will wallow in mediocrity forever.

Dry Rot said:
I can't believe some of the soft posts I've read tonight. We were crap when it really counted.

Anyone who thought tonight was good enough is a loser. And those who offer any excuses.

Many here know my background - a born and bred NRL fan who got into AFL living in Sydney and in 1998 chose the hard road going for the Dogs, rather than the Swans or Dons, Pies etc.

But I was born and bred a Manly-Warrinigah NRL fan and in our hey day, we were a powerhouse team.

Sure we did all sorts of bad crap like raping poor clubs, which I do not support. Not only would have got Chris Grant (despite the twenty cent thing) but also Johnno and Westy.

Why am i posting this?

Do you? Really?

I know what it feels like to go for a powerhouse team, and if you know your NRL history, we did OK but also failed a lot.

But I know what it means to go for a team that won flags, and failure in the finals, for whatever reasonable reason, wasn't good enough. And when we failed, it damned hurt.

Fast forward to AFL, Dry Rot, 2006 and tonight. Sure it was #1 vs #8. Sure it was unlikely we would win.

We were simply were not good enough, which is OK in it's self as far say the players go, but we can play a lot better than that.

I bet Eade isn't saying that he was really proud etc. He would be be spewing and so should all of us.

A loss like tonight is simply not good enough, and if you are not really hurting inside about how how we bowed out, then you don't really want a premiership.

Quite sad really that someone would think that getting angry on an internet site would change attitudes at a Footy club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dry Rot said:

Want to win a flag? I know what is required (albeit in a different code

Anyone who thought tonight was good enough is a loser. And those who offer any excuses.)..

I think Eade knows what is required and part of his 5 year plan is develop the playing list to achieve that goal. I am proud of the club and how they have performed all year. I am disappointed in last nights results but know our team will be better for the experience. There are many excuses but at the end of the day we weren't good enough. The main problem is that we lack a definite forward target (except Johnno).

Are we losers if we feel pride in our football club for what it achieved during the year? No.
Because we didn't win the flag and accept that and feel proud of where we finished do we accept mediocricy? No.

But one needs to take a reaslistic viewpoint on where we are at - we just aren't a top 4 side right now. Yep we can play at that level for periods at a time but we are not consistent enough at present.

Dry Rot said:

Why am i posting this?

Do you? Really?

Your analogy on Manly is quite amusing since they entered the competition in 1947 and did not win their first premiership for 25 years. They did not have a winning culture for a long period of time. They changed this culture (just like Eade is trying to do at present) but it did not happen overnight. Therefore patience and belief is required to deliver results and unfortunately there are periods of pain and grief along the way. One of those being last night.

We massively overacheived this season and still some arent happy.

What were your expectations before the season and how did we go against them? Thats what you judge our season on mostly, not so much last night.

localyokel said:
We massively overacheived this season and still some arent happy.

What were your expectations before the season and how did we go against them? Thats what you judge our season on mostly, not so much last night.

We came off a season showing massive improvement and just missed the 8. This year, I expected that we would be bottom 8 and we were (5-8). Even with our injuries, on paper we should have been better than at least 7 other teams and we were. I think we did well, but I wouldn't call it massive overachieving. I am pleased with our improvement, but not confident of a really big gain next year unless we get a get a tall or two.

Dry Rot said:

So you will be an assistant coach next year?

FFS, some people need to get a grip. All those who are contemplating slashing wrists after last nights game are seriously kidding yourselves.

Last night was a game against an experienced, physically intimidating side playing in their home state in a cut throat final.
What the game did is put our current situation into perspective. We truly have a long way to go before we can challenge for a premiership. Last night also showed how important it is to finish top 4 and play home finals.

I am dissapointed in the way the season finished but I truly hope that those at the club are not about to overreact like some people are.
Anyone dissapointed that we did not win a premiership this year is a fool.

The season as a hole (and not just a few quarters last night) showed we are on the right track. We have a way to go but we are on the right track.
I am proud of my club at the moment. Probably more so than I have been at any stage in my 42 years supporting them. Not because of last night, but because of what i believe the future holds. This year was never about winning a premiership after our luck with injuries. It was about gaining experience. If last night didn't show some of the young guys what is required at the pointy end of the season then nothing will.

Last night was a bad result but in needs to be put into context and used as a platform for the next 5 years.

Good luck to all over the next 6 months and bring on 2007.

As big Kev said..............I'M EXCITED!

Tassiedog, the angry ones are angry over the lack of skills during the match and capitulation in the last quarter, not the result. Their anger is justified and so is your optimism.

I somewhat agree with you Dry Rot,

Its not a good habit to accept mediocre prefermance. Our history shows we have accepted this for way too many years. It was one of the things I agreed with Wallace on. Have a winners mentality. You have to have a winners attutide and every year you should aim for the premiership. Perceptions of who is a good team or who is a good player is 50% mental at this level.

Yet overall about 6th is were we are. Yet we were weak last night.

LondonBulldog said:
I somewhat agree with you Dry Rot,

Its not a good habit to accept mediocre prefermance. Our history shows we have accepted this for way too many years. It was one of the things I agreed with Wallace on. Have a winners mentality. You have to have a winners attutide and every year you should aim for the premiership. Perceptions of who is a good team or who is a good player is 50% mental at this level.

Yet overall about 6th is were we are. Yet we were weak last night.

Do you think the team are accepting a mediocre performance like last night ?

Or are you talking about us supporters. If so you are dreaming if you think it matters a crap if we accept it or not. And i would hope that we arn't happy with the game last night but if i asked you last week how well we were going you probably would have been full of praise and excitement.

Today some people feel the need to slag off certain players and vent there anger over a bad loss. I can understand the latter, but please have a think about the season as a whole and you will find that sides with lots of younger up and coming players are inconsistant at best and be grateful that we have seen some of the future in performances this year.

Dry Rot said:
We came off a season showing massive improvement and just missed the 8. This year, I expected that we would be bottom 8 and we were (5-8). Even with our injuries, on paper we should have been better than at least 7 other teams and we were. I think we did well, but I wouldn't call it massive overachieving. I am pleased with our improvement, but not confident of a really big gain next year unless we get a get a tall or two.

Are you for real?

This season we lost Darcy, Murphy, Hahn for the season, Minson for a decent chunk of the season, all key components of the side, plus Walsh and Williams (talls who could have easily been given a go given our other injuries).

Despite this, the team managed to pull of fantastic victories against Adelaide, West Coast in Perth and play an exciting brand of football, all when we could barely put a team out on the pitch.

The team has exceeded expectations this year massively considering the injuries we've had, and whilst youre never happy to lose any game, let alone a final, in the manner which we did, the team has done fantastic and I am very proud of them.

And who are you to be calling Jason Voorhees ignorant? I remember you being all high and mighty to other posters who spoke like that to others whilst a mod on this board and the main board.

Maybe its you who needs to wake up to yourself. Coming down off your high horse wouldnt hurt either.

Realist view this goes a long way back. Dad and I would go to the Whitten oval and be happy if we had a few good home wins each year, finals 85 was a bonus yet never really expected success. Yet a side like essendon and their supporters expected success week in week out year after year. Why? Its because the culture of one club was that of winners. We had some champions around that time as well. Some did a lot better when moving to other clubs. It was clear at the dogs a few goods wins was good enough.

I think they have changed this mentality, yet it must be pushed through each year at each opportunity. Nothing less than 6th will be good enough, hell aim for number 1.

We dont have a winning culture but I think we are on our way to getting one. The confidence Eade has brought to the club is unbelievable.

We actually played alright last night except for our kicking (huge part of the game, I know). You could see it in the 1st qtr, all our kicks where going over the heads of our targets whereas WC were hitting all of their kicks. After qtr time all of kicks went bloody short. I dont know if it was the breeze, the rain or just poor play all round but I think overall we fought really well for the 1st 3 qtrs. That last qtr is quite possibly the worst qtr of footy we played all year.

But make no mistake about it the boys and Eade will be well ****ed off with that.

This year was a massive success considering injuries.

Everyone should be proud of the efforts the boys game this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back