List Mgmt. Walker and Burbury to be promoted to senior list

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2013-10-29/cats-elevate-rookie-pair
Geelong has promoted two of its AFL experienced rookies to the senior list.

Josh Walker and George Burbury will be upgraded with the Cats last two picks in the 2013 draft.

Their elevation means the Cats will have three picks in this year’s rookie draft with Jackson Sheringham remaining on the list as a Category A rookie and Mark Blicavs as a Category B rookie.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2013-10-29/cats-elevate-rookie-pair

Not surprised Blicavs was left on the rookie list to be honest.

It means the club either remains positive about the McIntosh/Simpson injury situations, or they'll upgrade him anyway with Menzel remaining on the LTI list.

Let's hope another Mumford situation doesn't eventuate if he develops quicker than expected.

We now enable Wells to once again weave some magic with picks 16, 36 and 41.

I like the idea of entering the draft with 3 selections.

Prudent list management there. Why upgrade players when you don't need to?

Burbury and Walker needed to be elevated or delisted.

That's my point. Blicavs didn't need to be delisted, the other two did. Once again, they know what they're doing, at least with list management.

Well then wouldn't you say both Burbury and Walker needed to be upgraded.

Unless I've misinterpreted your point, are you saying those 2 players should have been delisted in your opinion.

Unless I've misinterpreted your point, are you saying those 2 players should have been delisted in your opinion.

No I'm pretty sure he's saying they did what needed to be done and it was good list management.

I'm happy with this result, both players have great upside and I'm glad we're keeping them. We needed a forward pocket and a KPF, 2 great options in those positions given here.

I took it he meant it was smart to leave Bliclavs on the rookie list. Think that's all he was say

I took at as meaning he thought it was smart Bliclavs was left on rookie list. Think that's all he meant. People aren't idiots and realise the other two needed to be elevated.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out if:

a) Blicavs establishes himself as a best 22 player early on, plays pretty much the whole season in the seniors and shows rapid improvement; or

b) Blicavs finds it hard to establish himself at AFL-level (especially if McIntosh, Simpson and Vardy have relatively injury-free years) and spends practically the entire year in the VFL.

a) Blicavs establishes himself as a best 22 player early on, plays pretty much the whole season in the seniors and shows rapid improvement; or

b) Blicavs finds it hard to establish himself at AFL-level (especially if McIntosh, Simpson and Vardy have relatively injury-free years) and spends practically the entire year in the VFL.

Or C- spends time in the VFL but also plays around 7-8 games to cover for injuries.

Prudent list management there. Why upgrade players when you don't need to?

Apologies Partridge, I assumed the last part of your post was directed at the 2 elevations, until I re-read the first part.:oops:

Presumably they can use the same ploy North did with Majak Daw - sign him to a multi-year contract now that ensures he'll be upgraded at the end of next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess that's the gamble. If it's option "a", he should be upgraded to the senior list at this time next year, and if it's "b", and he hasn't made progress, the club might re-assess.

glad for this result. i had originally championed leaving blitz as a rookie but was persuaded that they wouldn't do that by the masses on here. :p

moved on west, upgraded walker, no need to also upgrade blitz too, unless we are trying to field a basketball team, and if that was the case bathie would still be around...

or maybe they just don't rate him.
I get the feeling Stephen Wells has his eye on a ruckmen in the draft, going by what they've done with West and Blicavs.
Either that or he thinks any old 6'6 girrafe can be a ruckman. Which is about right. Personally I'd like to see them import a giant basketballer from the US as our next ruck 'experiment'. That would be pretty cool.

I guess that's the gamble. If it's option "a", he should be upgraded to the senior list at this time next year, and if it's "b", and he hasn't made progress, the club might re-assess.

Yes, but I think if (a) happens, we'll have blown the chance to sign him at a discount this year and given him the associated security of 2-3 years of being very well paid (compared to most people his age) to play football. And if (b) happens, I wonder what they'll do if he's absolutely atrocious, but they had a 'nudge, wink' handshake deal to put him on the senior list at the end of 2014.

I would have been much happier to delist Cowan and pick him up again in the rookie draft. It's not like other clubs would be fighting to pinch Cowan in the national draft.

or maybe they just don't rate him.

Sounds like a good way to kick off another Blicavs/Vardy/West debate. I'll leave it alone, other than to say that they obviously rate him. He got his start out of necessity/desperation, but he kept his spot throughout the season (don't think he played a VFL game, from memory), even when other ruckmen were healthy.

I get the feeling Stephen Wells has his eye on a ruckmen in the draft, going by what they've done with West and Blicavs.
Either that or he thinks any old 6'6 girrafe can be a ruckman. Which is about right.

Well, to start with, that height probably has to be closer to 6'9 these days to be an effective ruckman at AFL level with nothing else going for you. Tom Hawkins is just shy of 6'6.

Sounds like a good way to kick off another Blicavs/Vardy/West debate. I'll leave it alone, other than to say that they obviously rate him. He got his start out of necessity/desperation, but he kept his spot throughout the season (don't think he played a VFL game, from memory), even when other ruckmen were healthy.
Well actions speak for themselves. And if he was rated highly he would be promoted. He was only in the side because McIntosh and Simpson were injured. And didn't win too many hitouts. The thread is partly about Mark Blicavs so I can post what I like about Mark Blicavs, thankyou

Well actions speak for themselves. And if he was rated highly he would be promoted. He was only in the side because McIntosh and Simpson were injured. And didn't win too many hitouts. The thread is partly about Mark Blicavs so I can post what I like about Mark Blicavs, thankyou

If he wasn't rated highly, why was he selected over West? During finals whilst injured, no less.

Great to see Blicavs remain on the rookie list, and on behalf of those howled down by some saying it shouldn't and wouldn't happen I say here, here. And :thumbsu: to Blitz.
As someone who had a foot in both camps (that is; thinking Blicavs did enough to warrant elevation but could also see the "bigger picture" with regards to List Management) I'm not too sure whether I should be hugging you or punching you. :confused: :D

Good luck to both Walker and Burbury next year and with the LTI to Menzel there is no doubt Blicavs will have the opportunity to play early on if form, structure and other clichés allows it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back