List Mgmt. Walker and Burbury to be promoted to senior list

Remove this Banner Ad

Unlike most in here, I wasn't surprised at all that he was promoted to the senior list. He's a far better footballer than Stringer IMO, and as we know he was promoted. So, based solely on that alone, I saw his promotion as a formality. Given more time and opportunities, I'm certain that he'll develop into a great player.
Like yourself and MD , I like Burbs a lot, didn't look out of place in his 2 senior games,tackles strongly and can take a mark.

Walker being upgraded was a no brainer with the club being rather thin in the development of our key position stocks, particularly with Pods contract not being renewed.

He's been in the system for a few years, can play at either end and is a better option than an underdeveloped Hamling or an 18yr old kid in the draft.

If Hawkins happened to have a similar season injury wise, we'd be in trouble without the extra tall on the list.

Similarly down back if Taylor or Lonergan were to be injured.

He adds key position depth, is a nice size and seems to be progressing nicely with his improvement since he first came to the club. He's also had exposure at AFL level and played some fairly handy games in the VFL.

I agree with the reasoning as to why he was upgraded.
I have watched all Walkers Afl games,but only a handful of his
Vfl appearances.Probably only 7 or 8 to date.
He competes well,makes a contest,chases and tackled well too.
Having said that,at Afl level so far he looks a bit lost to me.
Seems to lack a bit of awareness and footy smarts,especially when up
forward.
With his below par foot skills and set shots at goal,he will need to
excel in other areas to make it i think.
Will be interesting to see if he can take a big step up if he gets a few consecutive
games next year. That might help with his confidence at the very least.?
Like you mentioned MD,i see him as basically cover for an injury to a key forward or back.
I would be interested to see him as a 2nd or 3rd Tall Defender, a la Lonergan.
He has the tools for that role in my opinion.
At the moment i don't see him anywhere near our best 22.

I agree with others on Stringer - he could well be gone at next seasons end. Just did not do enough this season in the VFL. Surely GHS is a better option to get senior games because he has more potential than Stringer IMO. Gets his hand on the ball more than Stringer.

Stringer seems like a good VFL player but that seems to be his level from what I have seen.

I reckon at least 2 younger guys will get delisted at seasons end for sure - so he would need a good season if he is to make the cut and I just do not see him getting game time ahead of GHS and Caddy - and he is competition with these two.

Burbury is a really interesting one.

- Not tall, yet from the games in the VFL that i saw he was often playing full forward, not just lead up but deep. Seemed to have good hands.
- Very slim and not an inside mid type but appeared to have some strength in one on ones
- not pacy but quick first few metres
- ungainly kicking style but appeared to be reasonably accurate, at least with shots on goal

Only clear assets were tackling which always appeared very good and an ability to turn opponents inside out.

Maybe getting a little carried away but in some (admittedly VFL) games, appeared to have a bit of a "presence" that you see with players who are going to be special. Reminded me of the wonderfully skillful but tragically always injured Paul Lynch in the 90's.

Really hope he does well, but a big step up from the VFL. If you aren't tall or pacy or great kick or can play as an inside mid, it is going to be hard to do the step up.

agree on Burbury…..

I believe if the draft had been of deeper quality we would have delisted Walker. I just can't see him being any more than a stop gap selection….a good VFL player but not quite there for an AFL presence.

I hope he proves me wrong...

A good start would be kicking practice!!

agree on Burbury…..

I believe if the draft had been of deeper quality we would have delisted Walker. I just can't see him being any more than a stop gap selection….a good VFL player but not quite there for an AFL presence.

I hope he proves me wrong...

A good start would be kicking practice!!
Chest marking might be a better place to start.

Sorry Josh, I do like you. I know sometimes it doesn't look that way.

I think people are bieng a little harsh on Walker.
Key forwards take time. Most people on here say that.
Unfair to say that then dismiss Walker after only 10 or so games.
Off the top of my head - look at Tyrone Vickery and Michael Hurley. Both high draft picks who haven't ensactly set the world on fire just yet. I keep hearing people defending them saying they need more time to develop. If they wernt such high picks their fans would call for their heads.
I can't see why they can improve but Walker cant.
With that in mind Walker deserves 2 years on the main list to improve and be given a chance.

I think people are bieng a little harsh on Walker.
Key forwards take time. Most people on here say that.
Unfair to say that then dismiss Walker after only 10 or so games.
Off the top of my head - look at Tyrone Vickery and Michael Hurley. Both high draft picks who haven't ensactly set the world on fire just yet. I keep hearing people defending them saying they need more time to develop. If they wernt such high picks their fans would call for their heads.
I can't see why they can improve but Walker cant.
With that in mind Walker deserves 2 years on the main list to improve and be given a chance.

Absolutely fair assessment. Given the time we demand others get we can't deny it to Walker. Depends whether he's liked or disliked as to whether he gets that latitude however.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

mine is for duncan and bartel.:) (wait that's not a good thing.:p)

But I bet you can take a step back and say well Duncan didn't think too clearly in the last quarter of the Prelim, and Bartel was far too casual too often when disposing of the ball in the backline. Doesn't mean they're completely useless, just that you can recognise and admit when they stuffed up. Mine was the Richmond game when only due to Bobby's video I had to admit Guthrie leaked goals even though at the game I thought he was very good. Shows they all have things to work on.

But I bet you can take a step back and say well Duncan didn't think too clearly in the last quarter of the Prelim,

what i dont understand is why people forget bundy's stupid shot at goal that iirc went oob or even the fact duncan took an epic mark going back with the flight of the ball? everyone just remembers the mistake he made afterwards. yes,it was a mistake (he might have made it twice) but that epic mark fills me with confidence for the future.:)

i disagree, thought he was average, maybe a good vfl player but definitely not afl level.

Agree.
Backup player at best at this stage, yet to impress, but he has opportunities to improve and prove me a poor judge.

Stringer deserved to be upgraded on the back of what he did in 2012.
Not sure what happened to him this year though.
Deserved? When did his off field stuff VC? Can't remember. And after how many years on the rookie list he was either better than other options or not. Right now , Im sort wishing we had Sully on our list rather than him. Make this years draft a lot easier. Would anyone have him in our best 22 for the start of 2014? I fear he is just another player who is leasing his spot , and lease runs out soon.

if stringer gets games in the seniors this year, our injury list must be pretty deep.
Or our drafting must be pretty ordinary. GHS , Smedts , Schroder ...... all must perform and gets games as well. If they dont we have messed it up somewhere. 2014 is their year.
Burbs and Walker are not quite to that yet... however Id say Burbs will not have years to show his worth. He may get 6 games to show what he can do. I still feel he can offer something thru the middle , not just as a FP. Walker will be a while yet and will be given the time.

Deserved? When did his off field stuff VC? Can't remember. And after how many years on the rookie list he was either better than other options or not. Right now , Im sort wishing we had Sully on our list rather than him. Make this years draft a lot easier. Would anyone have him in our best 22 for the start of 2014? I fear he is just another player who is leasing his spot , and lease runs out soon.
He was playing bloody good footy before the off field incident.

Dont forget to look at game time far right.
And it's not just stats. He was doing a lot of heavy grunt work that year.

He definitely looked up to being an inside mid at the top level.
Only his disposal seemed to need polish for mine.

Screen Shot 2013-11-09 at 11.37.12 AM.png

You'll also notice he played 8 games straight.
He got in trouble the week after his last game and missed the rest of the year.

You'll also notice he played 8 games straight.
He got in trouble the week after his last game and missed the rest of the year.

But deserved? All he has shown is a bit of ability at the top level , and after so many years at the club I'd hope he would be able to. A bit , not a lot. He is hardly deadly by foot unless you mean deadly to our chances.

Rookies come from a long way back , then to finally get in front ..to be getting games to get involved with criteria that could involve police ...not smart. But plenty of smart players are dumb people.

Then in the GF ,when we were down , a big chance to step up... he showed that he can be dumb on field as well.

Dumb off , Dumb on. DumbDumb is not a recipe for success at AFL. It usually means you get the bullet.

Right now if he is 30-35 on the list after 4 years , he is not a rising star.. more a dull glimmer.

He was playing bloody good footy before the off field incident.

average disposal, not overly quick and not a clearance king going by those stats you posted.

also, on those stats, it kind of says he wasnt doing grunt work due to the amount of uncontested possessions and lack of clearances. and those teams he played against were pretty ordinary apart from the crows and pies.

my worry is that chris scott see's something in him and keeps giving him games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back