Test Rugby Wallabies Rugby World Cup discussion

How many matches does Speight miss of the RC? If any

Paul Alo-Emile missing though injury.

Squad cut down again before they go to Brisbane and changes can be made ie. the George Smith rumour plus the final 35 for the RWC will be different depending on form and injury.

Depends on his appeal this week. If the 5 weeks stands (and it should, the tackle was awful) he misses 2 tests I think.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I think Luke Jones is the unluckiest to miss out. Very surprised to see Dennis, and to a lesser extent Mumm picked ahead of him.

S120 picked JOC missing out. I'm pretty surprised he didn't at least make this initial squad.

Fingers crossed no more props get injured. With Slipper/Kepu being backed up by Sio/Holmes we should do alright. Next level down is a bit of a drop, especially at tighthead.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Props: Faulkner, Holmes, Kepu, Sio, Slipper, Smith

Hookers: Hanson, Moore, Polota-Nau

Locks: Arnold, Dennis, Horwill, Mumm, Simmons, Skelton

Flankers: Fardy, Pocock, Hooper, McMahon

No.8's: Higginbotham, McCalman, Palu

Halfbacks: Genia, Phipps, White

Fly-Halves: Cooper, Foley, Giteau

Centres: Leali'ifano, Toomua, Kuridrani, Beale, Kerevi

Outside Backs: Horne, Folau, Ashley-Cooper, Naiyaravoro, Mitchell, Speight, Tomane

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore (c)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. Will Skelton
5. Rob Simmons
6. Scott Fardy
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Nick Phipps
10. Matt Giteau
11. Drew Mitchell
12. Matt Toomua
13. Tevita Kuridrani
14. Rob Horne
15. Israel Folau

16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. Scott Sio
18. Greg Holmes
19. Dean Mumm
20. Michael Hooper
21. Will Genia
22. Quade Cooper
23. Adam Ashley-Cooper

This is probably what I'd go with for the first RC test.

Fly-half is the most difficult spot to pick for me atm. I can talk myself into picking any of the three but I'd go with Giteau first up to see what he's got straight away. We generally know what Cooper and Foley are at test level, we don't know what Giteau is right now. Has Europe improved his game? I want to find out ASAP.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Alexander is pretty unlucky as he can cover both sides of the scrum. That said the cupboard is bare.

He is more unlucky than Robinson but we have better options than him in each position. If we went into a test with Sio and Holmes on the bench behind Kepu and Slipper, we'd have quality at LH and TH, limiting the value of Alexander's ability to play both sides.

In any case, Kepu and Slipper can go both sides as well. I like the selections in the front row very much. Faulkner is ho-hum and probably only there because Alo-Emile is injured, but nevertheless, I like what Cheika has picked there.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Alexander is pretty unlucky as he can cover both sides of the scrum. That said the cupboard is bare.

Alexander gets penalised more at the scrum than anyone else so I'm pretty happy to see him missing. He's very strong and can be very good on his day but too often his technique is poor and he just gets folded in half.

Holmes can also play both sides and I believe Sio can too. Not sure about Toby Smith or Faulkner.

Gits is more a 12 now, playing 10 when needed. Think he'll either start at 12 or play off the bench.

Giteau is a horrendous 10. Don't think I haven't remembered how bad he was at 10. I like him at inside centre though, a runner, providing a decent kick option.

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
I doubt Giteau will start the first test at 10, and I'd guess he's being looked at more as a potential starting 12 and more likely as a bench option covering 10/12. If we're going to blood someone early to see what they've got I'd love to see Kerevi given a start.

His play link up play with Johnny Wilkinson in the 10/12 positions at Toulon was World Class, can't see why they wouldn't match it here

If you can name the Jonny Wilkinson number 10 in our squad, I'm all ears. Giteau is a perfect 12. He will play some first reciever anyway at number 12. Lean towards Foley at 10, but I don't think we have any great number 10's. It is a very weak position.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
Naiyaravoro MUST start. He is the one winger we have that can create a try from nothing. He is a very different winger.

Him and mitchell on the wings.

Beside the fact he was exposed on the weekend and that he'll be in Glasgow next year (no get-out clause) Naiya isn't a must pick but a game by game and opposition by opposition pick. Mitchell MUST start.

Stuff the RC and look towards the RWC and start picking a side that will win up North

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
If you can name the Jonny Wilkinson number 10 in our squad, I'm all ears. Giteau is a perfect 12. He will play some first reciever anyway at number 12. Lean towards Foley at 10, but I don't think we have any great number 10's. It is a very weak position.

Wilkinson at 35 was different to the one at 25;)

But still more a style type more than anything and that would be Foley over Cooper

Maester

Team Captain
Oct 15, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Naiyaravoro MUST start. He is the one winger we have that can create a try from nothing. He is a very different winger.

Him and mitchell on the wings.

I think the super rugby semi final against the Highlanders showed why that is maybe not the best idea. The Highlanders kicked it behind his wing a lot and did very well out of it. England and Wales would do the same all day. His defensive positioning and lack of pace count against him.

Beside the fact he was exposed on the weekend and that he'll be in Glasgow next year (no get-out clause) Naiya isn't a must pick but a game by game and opposition by opposition pick. Mitchell MUST start.

Stuff the RC and look towards the RWC and start picking a side that will win up North

The WC is this year, he is our X Factor in the WC. All our other wingers are 'solid'. Mitchell/Naiya on the wings. The rest of the wingers are only solid.

I think the super rugby semi final against the Highlanders showed why that is maybe not the best idea. The Highlanders kicked it behind his wing a lot and did very well out of it. England and Wales would do the same all day. His defensive positioning and lack of pace count against him.

That was probably his only bad game since early in the season. Did fine against every other side. He is worth a few tests, just to 'see whether he will make it'. Worst comes to worse, we just put Tomane on the wing, we know what Tomane can do.

Lions1024

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2009
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy

Yeah, he won't be making the trip to England. Cheika would be absolutely mad to take him.

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
RC Squad named.

Props: Holmes, Kepu, Sio, Slipper

Hookers: Moore, Polota-Nau

Locks: Arnold, Horwill, Mumm, Simmons, Skelton

No.8's: Higginbotham, McCalman

Halfbacks: Genia, Phipps

Centres: Toomua, Kuridrani, Beale

Outside Backs: Horne, Folau, Ashley-Cooper, Naiyaravoro, Mitchell, Tomane

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
RC Squad named.

Props: Holmes, Kepu, Sio, Slipper

Hookers: Moore, Polota-Nau

Locks: Arnold, Horwill, Mumm, Simmons, Skelton

No.8's: Higginbotham, McCalman

Halfbacks: Genia, Phipps

Centres: Toomua, Kuridrani, Beale

Outside Backs: Horne, Folau, Ashley-Cooper, Naiyaravoro, Mitchell, Tomane

My XV I want to see for the Boks test in Brisbane:

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Giteau
13. Kuridrani
14. Tomane
15. Folau

16. Polota-Nau
17. Sio
18. Kepu
19. Arnold
20. Hooper
21. Genia
22. Toomua
23. Ashley-Cooper

A mixture of wanting to try out some combos and who I want to see in the RWC.

My XV

1. Slipper
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Skelton
5. Simmons
6. Fardy
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell