WANTED: Help for a book on tassie footy

Remove this Banner Ad

hey norchypies the old woodsdale ground is on woodsdale road just before the woodsdale road and buckland rd t section paddock on the right looks if ploghed up just see cricket pitch on google maps mate would send it to you but i have very poor comp skills:)

hey norchypies the old woodsdale ground is on woodsdale road just before the woodsdale road and buckland rd t section paddock on the right looks if ploghed up just see cricket pitch on google maps mate would send it to you but i have very poor comp skills

Oh yeah I see it now. Thanks for that. :D
Will have to ask them when they moved to the present ground.

JS#35 said:
Anyone know where I can find some ladders from the Tasman? Would love to have a look. :thumbsu:
Had a bit of a flip through a few old football yearbooks and there's not a lot of info on the Tasman unfortunately.
The League had not bothered to send in details to the yearbook as other league had done so, there wasn't a lot out there. I'll have a further look though.

1990 Tasman FA Clubs
Dodges Ferry
Dunalley
Triabunna
Cambridge
Campania

No ladder provided.

The 1989 flags were won by Dodges in the Seniors and Reserves with Campania taking out the Under-16's title.
The TFA Best & Fairest medal winners in 1989 were Scott Berry from Cambridge taking the seniors medal.
A four-way tie in the Reserves between David Hoggett (Dodges), Carl Bresnehan ('Bunna), Michael Willmott (Dunalley) and Brett Cusick ('Bunna).
The Under-16's got taken out by Michael Berry of Dodges.

The 1991 flags were won by Dodges in the Seniors and Reserves and Triabunna in the Under-16's.
Bruce Coles, Stephen Bailey and Tony Anderton were the respective coaches.

north derwent start in the tasman comp in 1991 they lost the grand final craig stevenson won the seniors ass bandf . north derwent had not had a team since 1986 in the old stfa .hey norcy pies woodsdale moved to the new ground in 1977:)

north derwent start in the tasman comp in 1991 they lost the grand final craig stevenson won the seniors ass bandf . north derwent had not had a team since 1986 in the old stfa .hey norcy pies woodsdale moved to the new ground in 1977

Cheers Kenton :).

North Derwent. Won the 98 GF and lost all their players in the off season. Read somewhere they applied to join the ODFA in 2002 I think it was but got denied as they thought it would impact Bothwells ability to recruit players.

thats right mate they did apply to join odfa in 2002 if they had of it could of seen the end of bothwell . there is only one team in the derwent valley in newnorfolk,years ago there was teams in most towns.pitty now you only need one team in odfa they could not form a team up that way again:cool:

thats right mate they did apply to join odfa in 2002 if they had of it could of seen the end of bothwell . there is only one team in the derwent valley in newnorfolk,years ago there was teams in most towns.pitty now you only need one team in odfa they could not form a team up that way again

Could they still make a team up that way today? Always thought you could get a few in the derwent valley. From looking at population figures you could mabey have at least teams from Lachlan, Maydena-Westerway type area, bushy park/Gretna, Hamilton/Ouse, and mabey molesworth. Could revive the old DVFA. Would only need around 110 people to play. Could play in the mornings so people could still go to the New Norfolk game if they usually do.

prob not enough people for a ass in derwent valley has not been one for 26 years now .best bet would be put a team in the odfa only need bout 25 to 30 players.could be based at bushypark or hamilton depends on what the odfa says .lot of work would have to be done and a bit of intrest show by the towns folk up that way prob never get off the ground.pitty i grew up in the area but moved away when i was 16 for work.:rolleyes:

prob not enough people for a ass in derwent valley has not been one for 26 years now .best bet would be put a team in the odfa only need bout 25 to 30 players.could be based at bushypark or hamilton depends on what the odfa says .lot of work would have to be done and a bit of intrest show by the towns folk up that way prob never get off the ground.pitty i grew up in the area but moved away when i was 16 for work.

Well the derwent valleys populating in 2009 was about 13,000 so I would assume that for example a reformed Upper Derwent FC would have enough support. Hamilton I reckon would be a better place to put it as transport wise its easier to access from the Midlands highway.
------------------------------------------------

Back on Topic will be going into the state library for the day Wednesday and getting some info together on teams, leagues, locations of grounds. Have been finding it easier to find out the teams and then finding the grounds.

Well the derwent valleys populating in 2009 was about 13,000 so I would assume that for example a reformed Upper Derwent FC would have enough support. Hamilton I reckon would be a better place to put it as transport wise its easier to access from the Midlands highway.
Trouble is a lot of the young blokes are into the pot up there these days.
Too busy having a sleep in the forward-pocket, trying to smoke the playing surface or getting the munchies 9 times a quarter to play actual footy LOL.
My ex lives up there, sounds like the whole place is on the toke.

Changing demographics of the area would stop footy from lasting up there, plus not much work or money around.

Too busy having a sleep in the forward-pocket, trying to smoke the playing surface or getting the munchies 9 times a quarter to play actual footy LOL.

Changing demographics of the area would stop footy from lasting up there, plus not much work or money around.

Guess your right there. Haven't been up that way since about 2007 except for driving through to Queenstown so I cant really comment. Did you get that message from Ozguy kingpin about the site?

LOL:D

Nothing wrong with a few joints. Some of the most talented dudes I've seen spend a lot of their time stoned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

there was a comp down dover way it folded in the late 1960s called the esperance football ass .it had 4 teams dover,southport,glendevie and reminea.the dover ground was at the school and glendevie oval is on the esperance coast road .the info is in the bucks fellas book

there was a comp down dover way it folded in the late 1960s called the esperance football ass .it had 4 teams dover,southport,glendevie and reminea.the dover ground was at the school and glendevie oval is on the esperance coast road .the info is in the bucks fellas book

I rember that now. Glendeive originaly played near the hill across the road. Its all bush now. John Stowards book has some info too.

the comp folded in the 60s team were strugling for number i think they tried to put a team in the huon ass think they got knocked back. now no teams down that way kermandie gone to .wonder if they ever try to reform tried last year but no go pitty that so many teams have gone

What southern tasmania needs is a few one team per club leagues like the ODFA but based more in the city. So clubs like Kermandie if one year they struggle for 2-3 teams they can join the 1 team per club league until their ready to step back up. A lot of clubs have from what I've read gone in to recess in leagues where you had to fill 2-3 teams.

would be great if there was more ass like that ,up north west there is the leven the same as the odfa.since 1995 there has been 21 clubs in the south fold or had to join together and 2 folded and restarted in woodsdale and campania.:footy:

would be great if there was more ass like that ,up north west there is the leven the same as the odfa.since 1995 there has been 21 clubs in the south fold or had to join together and 2 folded and restarted in woodsdale and campania.:footy:

Just trying to think of who they all are here.

1) Sandy Bay
2) Southern Cats
3) Lachlan
4) North Derwent
5) Cambridge
6) Railway
7) Friends'
8) Ross
9) Bothwell (now part of Central Hawks)
10) Oatlands (now part of Central Hawks)
11) Kempton (now part of Central Hawks)
12) Franklin (now part of Huonville Lions)
13) Huonville Bulldogs (now part of Huonville Lions)
14) Kermandie
15) Risdon Vale
16) Port Arthur
17) Nubeena
18) Eaglehawk Neck
19) Premaydena
20) Dunalley
21) Tasmania Devils
22) Tunnack

:diamond: Not long before that you had Bridgewater go, New Town Old Scholars (NTOS) in the Southern Amateurs went in the late 1980's, Colebrook in the ODFA went in 1994, Sorell went into recess in about 2003 and reformed a year later.

:diamond: Mangalore were forced to change their name to Brighton in exchange for the Brighton Council building them their clubrooms at Pontville in 1995.
There was an original Brighton FC that played in the SDFA comp during the 1930's-1950's that wore Brown & Gold, my grandfather played for them.

:diamond: Kingston changed their name to Kingborough Tigers.

:diamond: Triabunna have been rebadged as East Coast Bombers, now being part of Lauderdale's reserves.

So many changes. In fact the damage would be even greater if you started at 1981 and looked at the numbers that have folded, merged or been rebadged.

Had to post pone until Friday. Will be going for about 4 hours in the afternoon. I'd say I will be going in next week at least once as well.

Went into the library yesterday. Had a look at the microfilm newspapers. Had a look at the 1999 season, the 1997 season (read quite a bit about the proposed mergers between the Hobart city teams and the southern districts licence). Also had a look at the 1980 season for a while but ran out of time.

Listed all the southern teams from those years as well.

Tasmanian Australian National Football League
*Glenorchy
*Clarence
*New Norfolk
*North Hobart
*Sandy Bay
*Hobart

Southern Tasmanian Football Association

:diamond:Railway
:diamond:Cambridge
:diamond:Risdon Vale
:diamond:Upper Derwent
:diamond:Bothwell
:diamond:West Hobart (Played a game at Clare street in the only detailed article I could find, anyone know if it was their home ground?)
:diamond:Lachlan
:diamond:Maydena
:diamond:Buckingham

Tasmanian Amatuer FL (SOUTH)
:diamond:Claremont
:diamond:Sorell
:diamond:Bridgewater
:diamond:Lindisfarne
:diamond:Hutchins
:diamond:Friends
:diamond:Richmond-Campania
:diamond:OTOS (New Town High OS)
*OHA
*University
*OVA (St Virgils)
*DOSA

Oatlands DFA
*Parattah
*Oatlands
*Tunnack
*Ross
*Mt Pleasant
*Kempton
*Woodsdale
*Tunbridge

Huon FA
*Franklin
*Huonville
*Cygnet
*Kermandie
*Kingston
*Channel

Tasman FA
*Triabunna
*Mangalore
*Dunalley
*Copping
*Dodges Ferry
*Lauderdale
*Nubeena
*Port Arthur

Also Swansea in the Fingal DFA which is technically in the south.

Also found results and articles for some of the northern/NW leagues.

Deloraine FA
*Mole Creek
*Chudleigh
*Red Hills
*Hagley
*Elizabeth Town
*Meander

Western Tasmanian FA
*Roseberry
*Queenstown
*Toorak
*Zeehan
*Tullah
*Lyell-Gormanston

Fingal DFA
*Campbell Town
*Fingal
*Avoca
*St Marys
*St Helens
*Swansea

Southern TFL Clubs
*Glenorchy
*Clarence
*New Norfolk
*North Hobart
*Sandy Bay
*Hobart

Tasman FA
*Swansea
*North Derwent (Played at boyer for at least 1 game, might of moved in 97 and not 98?)
*Richmond
*Cambridge
*Dodges Ferry
*Campania
*Triabunna

Huon FA
*Kermandie
*Cygnet
*Franklin
*Huonville

Oatlands DFA
*Kempton
*Bothwell
*Oatlands
*Tunnack
*Woodsdale
*Ross
*Mt Pleasant

Old Scholars FA
*St Virgils
*OHA
*University
*Friends
*Hutchins
*DOSA

Southern Tasmanian FL
*Channel
*Lachlan
*Claremont
*Kingston
*Brighton
*Sorell
*Lauderdale
*Lindisfarne

Peninsula FA
*Port Arthur
*Nubeena
*Eaglehawk Neck
*Premaydena

Oatlands DFA
*Woodsdale
*Mt Pleasant
*Bothwell
*Ross
*Oatlands
*Tunnack
*Kempton

Old Scholars FA
St Virgils
*DOSA
*Friends
*Hutchins
*OHA
*University

Southern FL
*Sorell
*Kingston
*Hobart
*Brighton
*Cygnet
*Huonvile
*Lindisfarne
*Lauderdale
*Kermandie
*Claremont
*Channel

Southern TSFL teams
*Glenorchy
*Hobart Demons
*Southern Cats
*Derwent Eagles
*Clarence

Tasman FA

*Cambridge
*Triabunna
*Dodges Ferry
*Risdon Vale
*Richmond
*Swansea

Peninsula FA
*Port Arthur
*Nubeena
*Eaglehawk Neck
*Premaydena

Had a few other leagues from up north from the 97/99 seasons but cant be bothered posting them at the moment after all that.

great work mate;:thumbsu: lots of info in the book by buck anderton(football the peoples game) bout the esperance ass and the grounds from page 189 on.keep up the good work

great work mate;:thumbsu: lots of info in the book by buck anderton(football the peoples game) bout the esperance ass and the grounds from page 189 on.keep up the good work

Yeah it has some good info will have to borrow it again. Think the league went for a few more years than the book says though. The book ''Australian Rules Football in Tasmania'' says it didn't finish up to I think about 1970.

Haven't done a lot lately. Will and try and get into the library for a day before the end of the month. My dad (in charge of taking the photos) reckons this book will take a few years to complete so I have plenty of time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back