Analysis Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

Was Letting Go of Adcock the Right Move?

• Yes

Votes: 37 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 58 61.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Leppa also mentioned the 3-4 then 2-3 mature bodies who we'll bring in outside the draft. Sounds likely to me that adcocks role will be filled by those folks and/or youngsters. We're basing any opinions on this now on half the info but worth revisiting after the trade/fa period

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern is there's one fewer experienced guys to go around and mentor the kids. I'm hoping that there's some magical change of heart that can often happen post-season.

We have these guys to come back in and possibly a trade in as well as maybe play a draftee or 2.
Potentially 10 or 11 to squeeze in with only a couple of outs. Someone has to make way. I would have had Jed stay, but can understand that any given path the club thinks we should take might see him not get games.
Claye Beams
Dayne Beams
Michael Close
Darcy Gardiner
Ryan Harwood
Ryan Lester
Jaden McGrath
Nick Robertson

Sauce was on triple m on Thursday morning saying there's a handlful that don't get along with Leppa. I nearly crashed the car when he said that live. Im hoping theres not more departures to come. I cant handle this.

It seems bizarre to think that Adcock wouldn't be in Brisbane's best team next season. Brisbane should think very carefully about the course they are considering, you only have to look at what it has done to Melbourne and Carlton to see why.

He had at least another year in him left. His experience and leadership is too important. Also he was only 29 which is very young.

Also his last game was exceptional and played really well and just goes to show what will miss now that he will leave the club.

The writing was on the wall since the captaincy decision. Clearly, he isn't a part of the Lions' vision for the future and hasn't been for a while now.

And if not for injury, he would've been selected a lot less this season.

I can only hope that there was some sound logic behind the decision to not offer Adcock a new contract next year. His performance wasn't great this year, but was definitely best 22.
IMO, it is more about the manner the club handles the players expectations when making list management decisions. Issuing a redundancy (and that is what list cuts are), is a highly emotive experience, and if not conducted with empathy, will ripple throughout the organization.

The real question is - will Adcock improve enough to take the Lions forward in 2016?

Unfortunately I don't think so.

Culling anyone is difficult but necessary sometimes.

I hope he gets another contract with another club - he was a good member of the Lions - unfortunately his time has passed.

Thanks for your participation all Lions supporters appreciated your input and effort over the years you have been at the club.

Whether it was a right or wrong decision publicly Jed has handled it with absolute dignity.
Another year would have been nice .but no one knows the full story.
The boys sent him out in style on Saturday.he was obviously well liked.

It seems bizarre to think that Adcock wouldn't be in Brisbane's best team next season. Brisbane should think very carefully about the course they are considering, you only have to look at what it has done to Melbourne and Carlton to see why.

Heath Shaw says hi.

Heath Shaw says hi.
I don't see your. (1) Heath Shaw was out of form and considered a disruptive influence on the group (2) We traded him and got the equivalent of a top 10 pick (3) He was never an ex captain.

I don't see your. (1) Heath Shaw was out of form and considered a disruptive influence on the group (2) We traded him and got the equivalent of a top 10 pick (3) He was never an ex captain.

My point is, clubs make what they see as the best calls that they can for the list and there are no sacred cows. Jed is definitely a well loved member of the side, but he's not a lock for best 22. There's certainly an argument that he should be in there, but there's equally a valid argument that he might've struggled for a place. Just like you think it was valid to trade Heath Shaw, where to an outsider it looks like you got rid of one of your better, proven players for a less proven kid with his own behavioral problems.

Mostly I object to the presumptuous, condescending warning to a group of people who follow this side more closely than you, especially when you guys are hardly a model of maintaining team unity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My point is, clubs make what they see as the best calls that they can for the list and there are no sacred cows.
I think most reasonable people would say that getting rid of Adcock is not the best decision for the club. If h chooses to play on next season he'll almost certainly find a club and I'd guess he'd be capable of playing regularly for most teams in the AFL. It is therefore difficult to see why he couldn't be playing regularly for a team that finished 17th. It is also not difficult to draw a parallel with clubs like Melbourne who made similar decisions with their experienced clubmen and paid the price for it.

Lastly, given player retention has your club in crisis, it is perplexing to see them jettison an ex-captain from Victoria who actually had the loyalty to remain in Brisbane in spite of the club being poor for the majority of his career. Loyalty is a two way street and Brisbane will have trouble keeping young players so long as they know the club is capable of treating them the same way they treated Adcock.

Lastly, given player retention has your club in crisis, it is perplexing to see them jettison an ex-captain from Victoria who actually had the loyalty to remain in Brisbane in spite of the club being poor for the majority of his career. Loyalty is a two way street and Brisbane will have trouble keeping young players so long as they know the club is capable of treating them the same way they treated Adcock.

Players retained until the end of their career before/around the GH5 started the "exodus" narrative:

Black
Brown
Drummond
McGrath
Selwood
Stiller
Notting
Charman
Copeland
Lappin

Players that went elsewhere at the end of their career:

Power
Bradshaw
And now (potentially) Adcock

Seems awfully like you're taking a result and ascribing a cause that simply doesn't bear up under closer examination. Loyalty is indeed a two way street but pointing a finger at a single case versus many counterexamples is just your own confirmation bias.

The dumb thing is for all we know Jed was offered a contract by us and another club, and the other clubs contract was greater than ours. Both parties agreed to put off talks until the end of the year to see if performance changes anything. It didn't so both the lions and Adcock part ways respectfully.

I mean really, there's no chance in hell of Adcock not knowing where he'll be next year. Let's not kid ourselves.

So you have a ex Captain and 200 gamer who wants to stay but you tell him to go.
Then you complain the young kids are not loyal and do not want to stay.. And wonder why.
I would take Adcock over Aish any day as one of them wanted to play for the lions.
You're clearly ignoring things that don't fit your narrative here.

Someone should let Leppa know this. Hopefully Lambert can talk sense? Otherwise can someone tweet him for me? I don't tweet....

Jed = not flashy, good tackler, hard at it, good kick, solid without setting the world alight.
Jack = same, maybe a touch softer + a touch flashier.

Jack sees Jed lose his spot, thinks, that'll be me in a few years...
Meanwhile at other clubs they respect their older players for longer, especially super loyal ones... I might move somewhere else. They used to do it, Brown, McGrath, Lappin etc when they slowed up but new agenda is too ruthless. I'm going somewhere with heart for their players and loyalty, as I'll never be cult hero unlike my old best mate (til Glory went to his head) Rockliff, or a power forward like Browny.

Didn't have to say Jed no spot, just Jed depends on form. No spot is stupid thing to say. If he's carving it up a la last round he should be playing to teach others.

We have to have some level headed guys around the club or we will be GC 2.0. With Maguire, McGuane, Staker, Adcock gone that's a lot of maturity vanishing. Rockliff may be a good leader, but not a mature one. Penultimate professionals in the Raines/Adcock mould are valuable. Family men are valuable as they show the boys how to live when life becomes more than football.

I think this is a huge mistake by the football club. They should offer him a 2 year contract
- games Based on form (1 year)
- rookie listed and captain/dev coach of reserves (year 2) a la the people's beard
or
- 2 year contract... (Reserves Dev coach part time).

The notion of strategic player management at BL is flawed. Hopefully lamberts will help. Hopefully they take this advice.

Again, someone please tell Leppa. Even if subconscious, moving on Jed would have affected Jack. As simple as... So this is how they treat loyal non-showponys in the long run. Might as well earn & learn what I can now.

Someone should let Leppa know this. Hopefully Lambert can talk sense? Otherwise can someone tweet him for me? I don't tweet....

Jed = not flashy, good tackler, hard at it, good kick, solid without setting the world alight.

Meanwhile at other clubs they respect their older players for longer, especially super loyal ones... I might move somewhere else. They used to do it, Brown, McGrath, Lappin etc when they slowed up but new agenda is too ruthless. I'm going somewhere with heart for their players and loyalty, as I'll never be cult hero unlike my old best mate (til Glory went to his head) Rockliff, or a power forward like Browny.

Didn't have to say Jed no spot, just Jed depends on form. No spot is stupid thing to say. If he's carving it up a la last round he should be playing to teach others.

We have to have some level headed guys around the club or we will be GC 2.0. With Maguire, McGuane, Staker, Adcock gone that's a lot of maturity vanishing. Rockliff may be a good leader, but not a mature one. Penultimate professionals in the Raines/Adcock mould are valuable. Family men are valuable as they show the boys how to live when life becomes more than football.

I think this is a huge mistake by the football club. They should offer him a 2 year contract
- rookie listed and captain/dev coach of reserves (year 2) a la the people's beard
or

The notion of strategic player management at BL is flawed. Hopefully lamberts will help. Hopefully they take this advice.

Again, someone please tell Leppa. Even if subconscious, moving on Jed would have affected Jack. As simple as... So this is how they treat loyal non-showponys in the long run. Might as well earn & learn what I can now.

Do you actually think the Lions said "Jed, we have absolutely no spot for you in our list"?

He got a better offer from another club and took it over our lesser offer. Hold me to that.

or

No need to tweet it, I'm sure he'll read it one of the 15 threads in which it appears.;)

Do you actually think the Lions said "Jed, we have absolutely no spot for you in our list"?

He got a better offer from another club and took it over our lesser offer. Hold me to that.
I think he was told we can't guarantee you games. Not what you said in "".

If we look at our own voting, prior to his stellar round 23 game, Jed was here:

50 - Dayne Beams
48 - Stefan Martin
28 - Mitch Robinson
28 - Allen Christensen
24 - Dayne Zorko
23 - Daniel Rich
19 - Tom Rockliff
11 - Jack Redden
10 - Harris Andrews
10 - Lewis Taylor
8 - Ryan Lester
8 - Pearce Hanley
7 - Daniel McStay
6 - Jed Adcock
5 - Tom Cutler
5 - Nick Robertson
5 - Marco Paparone
4 - Claye Beams
4 - Matthew Leuenberger
4 - Justin Clarke
3 - Josh Green
3 - Sam Mayes
3 - Daniel Merrett
1 - Jaden McGrath

Jed's been great up front this year, but mostly playing at his half-back role. Cutler plays that role and had pretty much polled the same as him with the limited senior time he's had.

Back