Society/Culture WA's taxpayer funded 'findyourlocalrockspider.com'

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect it's beneficial to keep the location details of a sex offender from being released to the public. It allows the police and courts to monitor the offenders whereabouts effectively with less risk of them disappearing off their radar.

And you'd have to think that Facebook group is proof that vigilantism is something to be concerned about.

Last edited:
Ah, well there's the issue.

Does the community indeed need to be notified of their presence?

That doesn't happen in the Victorian system, and Hun fear-mongering aside, it actually works quite well.

When has less information been better? Surely more information helps more informed decisions.

Sure some people may abuse this information and as a result end up in jail themselves. But they probably would go to jail anyway given their poor decision making.

When has less information been better? Surely more information helps more informed decisions.

When the benefit is very low and is outweighed by the harm.

Having people know where he is doesn't reduce the risk. Kids should be carefully educated about these things regardless of whether there is a sex offender in the street or not. If he was inclined to re-offend, having his name and general location out there isn't going to make a difference - he'd find an opportunity.

A rabble stalking him doesn't help anyone.

Hell, it could even provoke a sense of false security, given that the vast majority of child sex offenders are first-time offenders and are known to the victim - keep the kids away from the known sex offender and don't worry so much about the neighbour or uncle or teacher who wants to spend some extra time with them, and they're still at plenty of risk.

Having people know where he is doesn't reduce the risk. Kids should be carefully educated about these things regardless of whether there is a sex offender in the street or not. If he was inclined to re-offend, having his name and general location out there isn't going to make a difference - he'd find an opportunity.

Hell, it could even provoke a sense of false security, given that the vast majority of child sex offenders are first-time offenders and are known to the victim - keep the kids away from the known sex offender and don't worry so much about the neighbour or uncle or teacher who wants to spend some extra time with them, and they're still at plenty of risk.

Pretty much sums it up.

Yep fair call but stalking people isn't it's only use.

For example we do all sorts of checks on people before giving them capital. Being on a public register simply makes it easier to avoid giving one of these blokes 10 to 20 million only to find out they are not of good character.

Speaking of which, who stalks criminals other than police and loonies?

False sense? I suggest you are right, it has to fit in with an education that a register or not one has to be aware.

I see no issues with it other than 5% of the population have kiddie fetishes, meaning the full list would be pretty big if everyone with that bent was caught.

I see no issues with it other than 5% of the population have kiddie fetishes, meaning the full list would be pretty big if everyone with that bent was caught.

Your saying 5% of the Australian population has a predilection for sexually interfering with children?

Do you have anything to support that, because that's the sort of stat John Bunting would believe in....few else.

Last edited:
Ah, well there's the issue.

Does the community indeed need to be notified of their presence?

That doesn't happen in the Victorian system, and Hun fear-mongering aside, it actually works quite well.

That's because the really bad ones have their own little community outside the walls of Ararat Prison and are supervised.

I suspect it's beneficial to keep the location details of a sex offender from being released to the public. It allows the police and courts to monitor the offenders whereabouts effectively with less risk of them disappearing off their radar.

And you'd have to think that Facebook group is proof that vigilantism is something to be concerned about.

Do you really think they have the resources to do it effectively?

It is hard enough for ordinary crim's to readjust to society let alone rock spiders and now they are going to get some vigliante nutters trying to track them down. (because adding more paranoia to someone who's likely been beaten the s**t out of in prison will just go swimmingly)

Having the s**t beaten out of you in prison for being a child sex offender is the least likely reason they'd get beaten up. In the case of Victoria at least, they're all housed together in the same unit / s, so they tend not to. The unit /s they're in are pretty good and assaulting another prisoner would lead to them being put into one of management units, where they have much less relative freedom and are subject to a lot harsher daily regime.

A child sex offender in a management unit would indeed be a target for retribution so for that reason they wouldn't be allowed to runout with other prisoners and would likely only have 1 to 2 hours per day out of their cell and it would be in total isolation in a small concrete exercise yard.

There was an offender housed in the protection unit where I sometimes did shifts, he wasn't a pedo or general garden variety rapist, he'd committed other unrelated offences but during his trial blamed the local Aboriginals. When it turned out that it wasn't the local Aboriginals, he was sentenced and sent to prison. He couldn't be housed in mainstream because that was where most of the Aboriginals were and his trial had been reported in the media, so for his own protection he was housed in with the pedos and rapists.

The prisoners would get let out of their cells at 8am each day and locked up again at 4pm. For the whole day he used to work or work out in the gym. I was having a chat with him one day and asked him why he worked so hard everyday. He told me that when he first got into the unit, he'd sit down on one of the couches in the day room to watch the tv. He told me that the pedo's used to sit there and share stories about their victims and get each other excited.

He chose to keep himself busy all day after a couple of those encounters, it used to make his skin crawl.

To those of you who aren't supporting them as far as their offending is concerned, but are absolute in your support for them to be released and housed somewhere in the community anonymously, would you be as happy about it if you were a parent of young children and they moved into the premises next to you?

To those of you who aren't supporting them as far as their offending is concerned, but are absolute in your support for them to be released and housed somewhere in the community anonymously, would you be as happy about it if you were a parent of young children and they moved into the premises next to you?

If they were released anonymously how would I know?

If they are considered fit for release they should not be treated any different to anyone else in society.

If they aren't fit for release they shouldn't be released, the end.

If they are considered fit for release they should not be treated any different to anyone else in society.

Who judges their fitness for release though?

If they've served their full sentence, they've been a model prisoner, what grounds are there to detain them any longer?

There's no temptations for them in prison.

When someone visits a prisoner, they are allowed to drop of articles for them before entry, it would normally be things such as newspapers which would be checked before being released to the prisoner. It wasn't unusual for a pedo to receive newspapers that would be stuffed with store catalogues from places such as Target and the like full of images of children in underwear.

They used to get quite upset when their papers would show up minus the catalogues.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your saying 5% of the Australian population has a predilection for sexually interfering with children?

Do you have anything to support that, because that's the sort of stat John Bunting would believe in....few else.

I was interested in the number to understand the so called reason for internet filtering.

I googled and googled without success but then asked a labor poli and got a similar number from a lib poli.

I have no idea if the number is correct but given the high rate of people interfered with it might be right. Do you have a more accurate number than the poli's?

If they've served their full sentence, they've been a model prisoner, what grounds are there to detain them any longer?

When someone visits a prisoner, they are allowed to drop of articles for them before entry, it would normally be things such as newspapers which would be checked before being released to the prisoner. It wasn't unusual for a pedo to receive newspapers that would be stuffed with store catalogues from places such as Target and the like full of images of children in underwear.

They used to get quite upset when their papers would show up minus the catalogues.

This is the problem with our system.

We have a criminal system and a medical system. What we are lacking is the integration of both and more importantly the medical system doesn't deal with mental health very well.

So rather than being released with a cya later approach, rather than locking them up indefinitely; how about appropriate mental health support which may include further detention or other?

And now where getting to the real issue, sentencing.

Let's see someone who kills someone just totally going against their behaviour because they snap or whatever.

Or someone who has a sadistic urge to rape kids.

Now it's rather obvious that the murderer in this case is less of a threat then other the rock spider, because the act goes against his character and personality it was all down to the events surrounding that lead up to the killing.

Yet it doesn't matter if person straight away turns themselves into police has countless therapists explain all indications show it was a one off, they will almost always receive a longer sentence then:

The kiddie fiddler, who from everything where told has an underlying urge to rape kids, everyday is a battle not to get their rape on.

Now if we want to start readdressing sentencing based on psychological profiling as well as evidence and the risk of reoffending when released I'm in full support.

In fact I believe anyone who's assesed as having urges to hurt others, should be given an open sentence. That they should only be released when a psychological assessment determines they are either no longer a threat or that threat is so low the odds of a new incident occuring is determined to be an acceptable risk.

And if they reoffend the sentencing was wrong and the post incarceration support was wrong. It not only let the prisoner and the victim down but all of society.

I am pretty relaxed about the whole issue but why settle for failure? Pretty pathetic attitude for anything (not meant as a dig).

Last edited:

And if they reoffend the sentencing was wrong and the post incarceration support was wrong. It not only let the prisoner, the victim and society.

I am pretty relaxed about the whole issue but why settle for failure? Pretty pathetic attitude for anything (not meant as a dig).

And if they reoffend the sentencing was wrong and the post incarceration support was wrong. It not only let the prisoner, the victim and society.

I completely agree, sentencing in this country is ****ed. It's outdated and in major need of review.

That is not justification to continue to treat people released from prison with prejudice.

Instead of putting things In the two hard basket and coming up with feel good stop gap measures, we need a complete overhaul of the system.

I completely agree, sentencing in this country is ******. It's outdated and in major need of review.

That is not justification to continue to treat people released from prison with prejudice.

Instead of putting things In the two hard basket and coming up with feel good stop gap measures, we need a complete overhaul of the system.

Yep this is a hard one with no real solutions. But an overhaul, better understanding and hard work could/ should or hopefully produce better results.

Were you talking about Mr Comeagain?

In 2000, he disclosed to a psychologist that he had sexually offended against 41 victims​

http://www.news.com.au/national/ser...isk-to-community/story-e6frfkp9-1226418987190

Absolute piece of filth that man.

Makes me sick thinking how his victims must of felt when they saw him on television dancing when he walked out of prison.

Having said that, there are protocols in place for monitoring such individuals post release....the local police in the area he has been located know where he is and will be watching for him to step out of line - believe me.

Absolute piece of filth that man.

Makes me sick thinking how his victims must of felt when they saw him on television dancing when he walked out of prison.

Having said that, there are protocols in place for monitoring such individuals post release....the local police in the area he has been located know where he is and will be watching for him to step out of line - believe me.
Easier to shoot him

That's because the really bad ones have their own little community outside the walls of Ararat Prison and are supervised.

Well, the really bad ones are actually kept in gaol though there's only a few of those.

The difference between those on the grounds of Ararat and those in the community isn't necessarily to do with differences in risk.

They both have to meet the same high bar for risk of reoffending.

In many cases, those in the former category just have nowhere else to go, while those in the latter may have someone who will take them in, or are able to provide their own accommodation.

NT version coming soon

http://newsroom.nt.gov.au/mediaRelease/14636

Territory to introduce public sex offender website to protect families
14 September 2015

The Northern Territory will this week become the first jurisdiction in Australia to introduce legislation to Parliament for a publicly accessible website featuring the details and locations of convicted serious sex offenders.

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice John Elferink today handed over the Sex Offender and Child Homicide Offender Public Website Bill 2015, (Daniel’s Law), to Denise and Bruce Morcombe.

The Bill is named 'Daniel’s Law' in memory of Daniel Morcombe – a victim of a child sex offender and a murder victim.

The website will list serious offenders - those being life and 15 year reportable offenders under the Child Protection (Offender Reporting and Registration) Act. These offenders are serious child sex offenders and include those convicted of the murder or manslaughter of children.

The website will also include other reportable offenders who have absconded and whose whereabouts are unknown, and offenders who come to the Northern Territory and have equivalent convictions in other jurisdictions.

----

“The details of an offender that will be published on the website will be limited to the person’s name, date of birth, limited details of offences committed, a photograph of the person and the general location in which the person resides,” Mr Elferink said.

“The website will exist for members of the public to access information and it is expected people will use this in an informative and measured way.

“I have been clear since the announcement of this policy that vigilante behaviour will not be tolerated and we have structured the Bill to enforce this.”

Pretty strong critique of this type of law on Crikey:
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/northern/2014/10/26/the-nts-daniels-law-alarmed-but-not-alert/

“Daniel’s Law” is modelled on its American cousin, “Megan’s Law” (versions of which have proliferated on a State-by-State basis across the USA over the last twenty years). There is now a significant corpus of research into the effectiveness of these laws, and the evidence is in: they do not reduce the incidence of sexual offending, the type of offending, or recidivism.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back