Teams Washington Commanders - Приветствую командиров ™

Remove this Banner Ad

Redskins TE Logan Paulsen (turf toe) will undergo surgery Monday, and is out for the season.

This was expected after Paulsen visited with Dr. Robert Anderson this week. With Niles Paul on I.R. and Jordan Reed (hamstring) sidelined, the Redskins could add a free-agent tight end. Fred Davis and Zach Miller are among the veteran options available. Washington could also consider bringing back Chris Cooley.

Source: Mike Jones on Twitter

Washington could also consider bringing back Chris Cooley.

Redskins can't sign Cooley. He's a team employee, designated retired. Means he can't re-sign with the team until he's been totally off their payroll for 12 months

So it's not the OL.....

-------------------

Colt McCoy posted a perfect 158.3 quarterback rating in relief of Robert Griffin III in Thursday's preseason game.

This, after RGIII got shellacked behind Washington's Trent Williams-less "offensive line." First off the bench, McCoy completed 5-of-6 passes for 80 yards and a score. Kirk Cousins was equally effective with the third string, converting 8-of-12 throws for 91 yards and a touchdown of his own. The battle is close, but McCoy has a leg up on Cousins to back up Griffin. Whoever wins figures to make starts this season.
Related: Kirk Cousins

Third-round RB Matt Jones rushed eight times for 44 yards and a touchdown in Thursday's preseason game against the Lions.

Mixing in with the first-team offense, Jones was the lone highlight for the Redskins on a night were Robert Griffin III got impaled behind a shoddy offensive line. Showing a lightning first step and real quicks in and out of his breaks, Jones averaged 5.5 yards per carry. He's now up to 82 yards on only 13 preseason totes (6.30 YPC). The Redskins' third-down back, Jones is a threat to Alfred Morris on early downs.

AP_895570872894.focus-none.fill-735x490.jpg
ALEX BRANDON/AP
This might be the saddest thumbs up I've ever seen.

AUGUST 21, 2015

Robert Griffin III and the Redskins were very Redskiny in their second preseason game, in gif form

BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice Staff

As noted here a month ago, the Redskins are going to be an absolute dumpster fire this season. Over the last two seasons, the Redskins have had the worst point differential (-281) and worst turnover differential (-20) in the NFC, and they've given up the most touchdowns (112) in the NFL.

In games Robert Griffin III played the majority of the snaps in 2014, the Redskins went 1-6. He threw four TD passes on the season, was picked off 6 times, fumbled 9 times and was sacked 33 times. 33 sacks in seven games! He had a TD-sack ratio (not that that's a real stat) of 4 to 33. And yet, for some ungodly reason, the Redskins named RG3 their starter... in February.

In their second preseason game against the Lions, RG3 took an absolute beating. On eight dropbacks, he was 2 of 5 for 8 yards, with 3 sacks, and 6 hits taken. But those stats don't even tell the story of how bad it was. A recap, in gif form:

• Here' the #5 overall pick in the 2015 draft, Brandon Scherff, getting bulldozed back into Griffin for a sack.

RGIII-11.gif

• Batted pass, but hey, at least he didn't get hit here.

RGIII-2.gif

• Griffin gets destroyed by a Lions linebacker coming on a delayed blitz.

RGIII-3.gif

• Yanked to the ground like he weighs 30 pounds.

RGIII-4.gif

Another sack.

RGIII-5.gif

And cue the Benny Hill music.

RGIII-6.gif

The eight Redskins fans in attendance booed after that last play, and Griffin left with a concussion. The Redskins might be the worst team in the NFL this year.

Redskins acquired TE Derek Carrier from the 49ers for a conditional 2017 fifth-round pick.

The "conditions" are related to playing time and stats. Carrier just turned 25 years old and has absurd measurables, running 4.49 with a 40-inch vertical at 6-foot-3, 240 coming out of Beloit College in 2012. He probably should've played over both Vance McDonald and Vernon Davis last year, but wound up handling under 200 snaps. Carrier is a converted wide receiver who earned positive run and pass blocking grades from PFF in 2014. He gives Washington a No. 2 tight end following Niles Paul and Logan Paulsen's year-ending injuries. We wouldn't totally rule out the possibility of Carrier pushing always-injured Jordan Reed once he picks up Jay Gruden's system.

Related: 49ers

According to ESPN's Jason Reid, "people in the building know" the Redskins have "no chance" if they stick with Robert Griffin III at quarterback.

All it took was four bad series for Griffin's shaky standing as the Redskins' starter to again become unmoored. Griffin was nightmarishly bad before getting concussed against the Lions on Thursday, but seemed to have little chance behind a leaky offensive line. Of course, RGIII's issues with getting rid of the ball may have encouraged Detroit to bring the house. To the naked eye, Colt McCoy and Kirk Cousins have both appeared far better than RGIII this summer, but against second- and third-string defenses.

Related: Colt McCoy, Kirk Cousins

Source: Jason Reid on Twitter

Sadly these kind of stories are becomming all too common and it's so deflating. It's not just the press, but it's the continual own goals that seem to happen year in, year out.

It's depressing that we've gone from one of the Elite teams where success was often attained, and expected, to a laughing stock like the Lions, Browns, Buccaneers and pre-Kraft Patriots had been and/or still are.

To make it worse, with a parity driven NFL, a turnaround is a lot quicker than ever. While there is hope for a lot of struggling teams the Redskins seem to be always bogged down in the mire even with a sudden playoff berth here and there.

It seems like almost every move the Redskins make is a backwards one. Our Free Agency spree on washed up players. Keeping Norv Turner too long. Not keeping Marty long enough. Spurrier. Whiffs on 1st Round QBs in Shuler, Ramsay, Campbell, probably Griffin. Sacrificing so many draft picks in poor trades. Snyder and his meddling and the name controversy, among many other things.

You try and have hope. I'm pretty resilient, I rode out Fitzroy in their dark days and - while the Redskins situation is nowhere as dire as that - it's still hard sitting by hoping for the best but seeing so many reports indicating otherwise.
Scott McCloughan is making some nice moves and the foundation is there, but I'm just waiting for Donald Trump to buy out the team, that's the way things are going :D

I guess I have to hold out for when this team has succumbed to pressure and changed their name to the Washington Players in their multi coloured tops to represent every ethinicity and with their Rainbow flag socks to keep all the PC parties happy, but for now I'd just love to feel confident in the direction we're heading and excited that we're building for a title which I don't at the moment.

Some of it too is, despite our lack of silverwear in recent seasons, is that the franchise is still successful off the field (#3 on Forbes most valuable NFL franchises) so while money is being generated/syphoned off fans the on field success kind of feels give-or-take while the franchise is bringing in the cash. Cynical? No doubt, but it's hard to think otherwise with the results on the board.

Once more, I hope my pessimism is misguided :D

I feel so depressed :(
Maybe it was a bit extreme, but just using this page as a sample:
-Redskins have "no chance"
-Trading for a player
-Various GIFs to the tune of the Benny Hill theme
-Grantland paying out on Washington
-Matt Jones impressing
-RG3 stats poor against backup QBs
-Paulsen out for season
-Redd out for season

2 of the 8 stories are negative (and surprisingly without a mention of the teams name or Snyder!) and while I'm sure there's an element of piss taking, it's also reflective of the general NFL media. Redskins writers and generally pretty positive for the most part, but we've become one of the NFLs whipping boys and what makes it more frustrating is a lot of it is due to our own doing.

I'd be happy with a break even season with improvement as the season progresses to the point that we are in very good shape in the upcoming season. If I was to be honest with myself I think we'll miss the playoffs and probably be treading water again. I'll be sticking by them and I hope I'm wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't a panic, more frustration with a dash of disillusionment.

Yeah it's preseason (2-0 baby, we're flying :D) and I'm excited about our defense who I barely hear anything about. Maybe this is the nature of the media nowadays, but when I venture outside of Redskins biased reporting it's negative.

Most of my news comes from what I read in the online media and it's obvious we haven't been the best organisation for a good while and the outside vibe of our team doesn't fill me with confidence. Having sat through many a disappointing season I can't help but feel "Here we go again". Like I've said I'm happy to be proven wrong, but that's how I'm feeling about the team at the moment.

This isn't a panic, more frustration with a dash of disillusionment.

Yeah it's preseason (2-0 baby, we're flying :D) and I'm excited about our defense who I barely hear anything about. Maybe this is the nature of the media nowadays, but when I venture outside of Redskins biased reporting it's negative.

Most of my news comes from what I read in the online media and it's obvious we haven't been the best organisation for a good while and the outside vibe of our team doesn't fill me with confidence. Having sat through many a disappointing season I can't help but feel "Here we go again". Like I've said I'm happy to be proven wrong, but that's how I'm feeling about the team at the moment.
See AmericanCrow on the Browns thread or manureid on the Raiders thread. It's a healthy self-balancing mechanism

ESPN Redskins reporter John Keim said the "feeling" is the NFL will announce whether or not they will suspend OLB Junior Galette this week.

It is not clear from which of Galette's off-field incidents the possible suspension stems. Galette was accused of domestic violence in January, but that case was later dropped. The NFL was also investigating a 2013 video purportedly showing Galette involved in a brawl in South Beach. If a suspension is announced, the Redskins are hopeful it will be two games or less.

Source: ESPN

Redskins OLB Junior Galette will miss the entire season with a torn Achilles'.

The Redskins fears were confirmed. Galette went down toward the end of Wednesday's practice. It's an extremely tough blow. Galette signed a one-year, $745,000 contract in an effort to prove the Redskins right and thank them for taking a chance on him following his release from the Saints. With Galette out, DC Joe Barry will rely on OLBs Trent Murphy and Preston Smith opposite Ryan Kerrigan.

ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini reports the Redskins plan to start QB Kirk Cousins Week 1.

Russini made her bones as a reporter in DC, so she is as plugged into the team as any national reporter. ESPN's Ed Werder reported GM Scot McCloughan is determined to change the team's culture and could decide to move on from Robert Griffin III. The mystifying situation surrounding Griffin's concussion may have given him that shot. Cousins is the owner of a 59-percent career completion percentage and has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns in 14 regular season appearances.
Related: Robert Griffin III

Source: Dianna Marie Russini on Twitter

NFL Network's Albert Breer said the Redskins have yet to make a decision on their Week 1 starter.

This negates a report from ESPN's Dianna Marie Russini, who said Kirk Cousins had been tabbed for Week 1. Russini spent several years covering the Redskins, so she is aa plugged in with the team as any national reporter. Robert Griffin III (concussion) may not be cleared to play by Week 1, which would make this all a moot point. The bigger point to take away from the last week is the Redskins' organization is about as dysfunctional as they come.

Source: Albert Breer on Twitter

Redskins coach Jay Gruden said he will discuss his quarterback decision with GM Scot McCloughan, team president Bruce Allen and owner Daniel Snyder.

Gruden added he had the final say in the quarterback decision, but if that were the case Robert Griffin III likely would not have been named the starter in February. Kirk Cousins was shaky in the third preseason game, but at this point he may offer Washington the best chance to win. Griffin may not be cleared from his concussion in time to play Week 1, so all of this may end up being a moot point.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Redskins "front office officials and coaches" want to move on from Robert Griffin III, but are "meeting resistance from team ownership."

It's no secret owner Dan Snyder played a major role in spoiling RG3, resulting in clashes with both the Shanahan and Gruden coaching staffs. It now sounds like GM Scot McCloughan is on board with cutting ties on Griffin, but Snyder isn't letting the move happen. Schefter reports the Skins have gone so far as to shop RG3 on the trade market, "but have found no interest." A split between the Redskins' organization and Griffin seems imminent.

Source: ESPN.com

This was my fear given the statline in the first preseason game that this controversy would raise its' head once more. I know Cousins fared poorly in his starting role last season and interceptions have been an issue of his, but he consistently shows up RG3 and is channelling his inner Frerotte to RG3s Shuler :p

Taking my team preference out of it it's always hard for teams to write off a 1st round pick (not to mention what was given up to get that pick) and then committing to a backup who is outperforming the starter, but the discussion lately seems to be centered around that unfortunately and maybe it's an inevitability.

This was my fear given the statline in the first preseason game that this controversy would raise its' head once more. I know Cousins fared poorly in his starting role last season and interceptions have been an issue of his, but he consistently shows up RG3 and is channelling his inner Frerotte to RG3s Shuler :p

Taking my team preference out of it it's always hard for teams to write off a 1st round pick (not to mention what was given up to get that pick) and then committing to a backup who is outperforming the starter, but the discussion lately seems to be centered around that unfortunately and maybe it's an inevitability.
Another report from rotoworld came out fairly soon after the last one i posted which denied there was a rift between snyder and staff regarding rg3, and that they're all on board with him as starter. so take that with a grain of salt. there's obviously something going on. it is what it is, unfortunately for the redskins. the new gm will no doubt want to draft his own qb. i dont think any of the qbs you have are any good fwiw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back