Washington Wizards (nee Bullets) Team Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Got the 'W' as they say. I only caught the last 22 seconds, just enough to watch Wall's floater and the controversy around the 'goaltend'. It wasn't an amazing shooting night from either team by the looks of it. Gortat, Wall and Beal solid from the floor though, although Wall missed 4 of 6 freethrows :/ Porter kept busy without having much impact on the scoreboard which is heartening.

Hopefully the turnovers start to recede as they continue to get used to the pace.
Can only improve from here.. Wall/Beal/Porter haven't started together in many games, especially Otto. He missed a few open shots but he's definitely on the improve. Milwaukee on the road next..

Well that first quarter was a disaster :/
And so was the third.. But what a rally in the end! Beal with an insane 14 points in the 4th quarter, including 4 Three's.
Sessions with a handy 23 pts coming off the bench. Wall with the double double (19 Pts, 10 Assists). Not too shabby, first time being 2-0 since 2005. Can easily make it 3-0 vs Knicks at home.
Otto Porter still quiet, hopefully he puts up some good numbers - needs that for the confidence.

The tree guard line-up just savaged them in the 4th. Finally a glimpse of what they can do. Now for the first home game against the Knicks who are up and about.

Well that was an anticlimax. First game at home, against a weak-ish opposition and Carmelo explodes for a 39 point game. Wall and Beal getting it done and Otto Porter finally gets some rhythm. Let's forget about that one, three day break and it's Spurs at home. Time to work on those turnovers and offensive rebounds, really affecting the scoring early.

Dudley hasn't found his rhythm after coming off that back surgery, missed two open threes which killed our momentum. He did some solid work on Carmelo though, it's just that he is a freak and was just having one of those games where he makes everything no matter how close you cover him. So far we're 2-1 against teams aiming for the 5-8th seed in the East.

I know it's only three games in, but pretty worrying having opponents score 105.7 pts per game. Has been mainly due to turnovers and a few mismatches- Greek Freek and Melo particularly.
Had one of the best defence last season, so hopefully the team gels sooner then later.

I think as they continue to get used to the new style the gap between the off rating and def rating will grow. Good win against perennial contenders in SAS today. Beal is having a massive year so far. Otto 19 points on 80% shooting, starting to find his feet. only 10 turnovers to 27 assists against the reigning Def. Player of the Year... Not a bad result.

Brad Beal not starting or playing today. Definitely can tell on the court atm, getting thumped by 25 points during the third quarter. Is this the beginning of the end for Randy Wittman? Third straight loss coming up.. 3-4 after this. Got another two home games, definitely need to string those together.
Right now the defense is getting owned due to height the last few games. Players like Millsap/Horford and Ibaka getting easy points. Can't have someone like Nene on the bench. Gortat/Humphries ain't going to cut it.

Watching Bucks-Wizards.. Porter looks like he's fitting well now, pulling off some nice fade-aways as well as threes. 11 points halfway through the second quarter. Just wish Wall would shoot more often, plays similar to Rondo most of the time- looking for that slick pass.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another pathetic team performance. Lose to one of the rising star teams by 30 odd points is unacceptable. Wall has lost the plot and Beal is pouting when things don't go their way. This season is looking shaky already. Wittman must be odds on to lose his job in the next week or so.

I can't place this team at the moment. Get destroyed by Boston one day, do a number on the Cavs the next who everyone thinks will be joining GSW in the finals. Wall found his shot which helped. Our defence held up well (LBJ 9 turnovers) but we were helped out by some bad stretches of shooting by the cavs. Humphries is becoming a non-factor but Dudley is starting to find that 3 pointer consistently after looking shaky after coming off his surgery. Beal starting to get back to the form of the first games where he was often quiet before exploding in the second halves of games. Losing Nene is big though, he's provided a lot of heart off the bench.

Even when we were 20 points up I still didn't feel confident, which is evidence of how volatile this new game style is. But there are stretches where it clicks (see 2nd Quarter) and it's the most exhilarating thing to watch.

Sad to see Martell go, he was my favourite player a couple of seasons past.

The Eastern Conference is not messing about this season o_O

Boston 10-8 and not in the top 8, whilst in the West, Phoenix 8-10 and in 8th spot.

I can't place this team at the moment. Get destroyed by Boston one day, do a number on the Cavs the next who everyone thinks will be joining GSW in the finals. Wall found his shot which helped. Our defence held up well (LBJ 9 turnovers) but we were helped out by some bad stretches of shooting by the cavs. Humphries is becoming a non-factor but Dudley is starting to find that 3 pointer consistently after looking shaky after coming off his surgery. Beal starting to get back to the form of the first games where he was often quiet before exploding in the second halves of games. Losing Nene is big though, he's provided a lot of heart off the bench.

Even when we were 20 points up I still didn't feel confident, which is evidence of how volatile this new game style is. But there are stretches where it clicks (see 2nd Quarter) and it's the most exhilarating thing to watch.

Sad to see Martell go, he was my favourite player a couple of seasons past.
Add got embarassed by Lakers at home to the list.
What the hell is going on? Can't string together some solid performances and just get the W and move on. Did we even play Cavs last night, given how poor we were today? The main difference this season has been easy turnovers, today had 23. Averaging 17 for the season.
It's obvious this volatile game play isn't reliable enough. It's brilliant in stretches, but during the crunch the team just goes missing big time.
Porter missed a few open jump shots - 2 / 8 FG against a young team. Seriously needs some late night practice. Not sure how much more the team can take playing 'Small Ball'.
Also this team only plays as well as Wall plays. 34 pts, 11 assists. But where was Beal, Dudley, Humphries? Missing Nene big time, him and Gortat the only talls that contribute. Another frustrating, unnecessary loss

I wonder if they'll catch up to the pace they're trying to play at before Wittman is fired? Thankfully Wall is starting to put up those all-star numbers again but he is still averaging almost 4 and a half turnovers per game (as pointed out on The Starters, where Leigh made a case that he was the most disappointing player so far this season).

These 1:30 stretches were we have four turnovers are way too common to be forgiveable. It happened when we were up 14-7, then we fought back from 18 or so to lead, then had another one. I think what's happening is they go in too fast, the defence collapses around them but they're going to fast to pass effectively. Then they get flustered and try to go even faster to get the points back quickly. Rinse, repeat. Giving up 16 offensive rebounds doesn't help. I don't get how our defence has failed so badly this year... Surely you can still have a fast offence without your defence going to pieces.

Humphries is better as a rebounding machine, not so much as a floor spacer.

I wonder if they'll catch up to the pace they're trying to play at before Wittman is fired? Thankfully Wall is starting to put up those all-star numbers again but he is still averaging almost 4 and a half turnovers per game (as pointed out on The Starters, where Leigh made a case that he was the most disappointing player so far this season).

These 1:30 stretches were we have four turnovers are way too common to be forgiveable. It happened when we were up 14-7, then we fought back from 18 or so to lead, then had another one. I think what's happening is they go in too fast, the defence collapses around them but they're going to fast to pass effectively. Then they get flustered and try to go even faster to get the points back quickly. Rinse, repeat. Giving up 16 offensive rebounds doesn't help. I don't get how our defence has failed so badly this year... Surely you can still have a fast offence without your defence going to pieces.

Humphries is better as a rebounding machine, not so much as a floor spacer.
Another one of those weird games today vs Phoenix. Some periods where we are at our best, great shooting and spread on the floor. Then yet again 2 or 3 turnovers in a minute or so and we're back to the same struggles. Wall with 7 turnovers, a player of his calibre simply shouldn't be having that many. Our offence seems a bit rushed and looking for the fast break or inside pass too early. But Beal is really standing up, a few misses here and there but he's definitely one of the most improved this season.
Missing Gortat and Nene injured stretched the defense but great effort by the bench.
Happy to get the scrappy win, hopefully Wall and Beal just have minor soreness and nothing too serious- can you clarify this Rough_Edges ?

Well, on the plus side, wall had less than 65980 turnovers today against Dallas. Shame we let them shoot OVER 50 ******* PERCENT FROM THREE.

Well, on the plus side, wall had less than 65980 turnovers today against Dallas. Shame we let them shoot OVER 50 ******* PERCENT FROM THREE.
Wall has seriously been too quick in his passing and always looking for the fast break score. As the captain some steady plays would be suffice, back to basics. We live and die on Wall's offensive plays and it's causing the team some real frustrations.
Wesley Matthews with 10 Threes- another hack/average player that has a career/season high night against us. Understand we had limited talls, but no excuse for the back court not to limit the perimeter.
Hoping Wall's injury is nothing major and just a bruised knee. Need Nene and Humphries (as much as I hate to say it..) back fast.

Well then...

How do you analyse that one???

We beat another Eastern contender who shot 59.4%... In truth I think the only reason we won that one was because Miami never got past the missed travel call on Beal. Wall has stepped it up this month. I saw a graphic at the end there where it said he was #1 in the league in points, fast break points, FGM, and two others that I can't remember for the month so far. Neal and Sessions just keep being fantastic off the bench, 14/19 shooting. It's just a shame that the only 3 pointer Neal missed was the one where he was as open as he's ever been in his life.

Back to one game under .500... yay??

Well then...

How do you analyse that one???

We beat another Eastern contender who shot 59.4%... In truth I think the only reason we won that one was because Miami never got past the missed travel call on Beal. Wall has stepped it up this month. I saw a graphic at the end there where it said he was #1 in the league in points, fast break points, FGM, and two others that I can't remember for the month so far. Neal and Sessions just keep being fantastic off the bench, 14/19 shooting. It's just a shame that the only 3 pointer Neal missed was the one where he was as open as he's ever been in his life.

Back to one game under .500... yay??
Tbh not sure what to take from that one. Weren't as effective in past wins, but it's enough to get the job done. That travel call on Beal was the game-changer agreed, surprised wasn't reviewed. But fair to say alot of travel calls have been let go the last few seasons.
This game mainly set up by Otto's huge 1st quarter and a half. 8 rebounds early and 7 pts-ended up with the double/double (13P/14R). BB3 with another handy 20+ point game. But gee Wall has been incredible the last 4 games.
Neal has been the real 'veteran' leader. Taken over Pierce's role and is even better.
Have to say the most frustrating thing is the opposition's FG%. Some of the shots that go in are ridiculous. Yesterday against Dallas and today. 50% is damn good but 60% is freakish.

Otto inefficient as hell but his second DBL DBL of his career tonight.

Wish we could get some kind of consistency going.

Considering how shorthanded we are, to go 2/3 against Phoenix/Dallas/Miami is decent going.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back