Watson to Hird: Don't come back in 2014.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
He was asked by Anthony Hudson on AFL360 "Have you worked out what role James is going to play" Thompson "um, no. Not exactly - he comes back pretty soon so we will have a chat"

38.20 minutes in.
Recruiting, list management, training... there are so many roles that he could fill, I'm sure they hadn't worked out his specific role at the time.

Hird himself has said months ago that he wouldn't return to coach this year. Put the club before himself, like we all knew he would.

bomber c

Debutant
Jun 28, 2007
torquay
AFL Club
Essendon
No story yet again by the trial by media press ,bomber boys soon to have thier say in court .
Will be a lot of nervous bullies out there ,17 more sleeps till you face the music.
Have a look at rohan conollys tweet featuring jimmy on the hangar and all you nuffies out there will see another aod 9604 moment again.
No comprimises mr little take them all down.

Last edited:

dvas987

Club Legend
Oct 11, 2011
Pyongyang
AFL Club
Carlton
Meh i don't think Hird will coach next year at all, surely the board will see that bomber thompson is a better coach than Hird is.
Blasphemy! It is a scientific fact that James Albert Hird completes all tasks he is assigned to do at 100% perfection better than anyone else!!

To continue my car trip analogy - you tell your mate to keep his eyes on the road but he doesn't, and crashes due to being distracted, does that make you guilty?

Hird played a role, nobody worth listening to is denying that, however his role is massively overstated thanks to Caro's agenda and the AFL's decision to make him the scapegoat.
Your analogy works better if you add the part where an Ex-con was invited along for the trip to tell the driver where all the speed cameras where along the way. While the passenger told the driver "just get me there as quickly as you can!".

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Aside from the fact it was the plan for the past 5 months, Little said in his media statement that Hird made the suggestion and it was agreed by the club.
Could have fooled me. He said on his return he would talk to Bomber about what his role would be. If it was all decided why say that?

chelseacarlton

BLUE it's the Magic Number
10k Posts Sensible Type Chess Club Member Pantskyle
Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Hey mods,
I thought the Hillsbro stuff was more than relevant:mad:

BlueWorld

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Recruiting, list management, training... there are so many roles that he could fill, I'm sure they hadn't worked out his specific role at the time.

Hird himself has said months ago that he wouldn't return to coach this year. Put the club before himself, like we all knew he would.
Maybe he can be responsible for spread sheets. Isn't that what you do with useless ex players you have nothing better for them to do? Hopefully he's better at it than Wallis. Fraser Brown says hi btw.:p

chelseacarlton

Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
Maybe he can be responsible for spread sheets. Isn't that what you do with useless ex players (whom like to place illegal bets)you have nothing better for them to do? Hopefully he's better at it than Wallis. Fraser Brown says hi btw.:p
Efa

chelseacarlton

Apr 13, 2008
So Frang
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
The Anti-Theists
No story yet again by the trial by media press ,bomber boys soon to have thier say in court .
Will be a lot of nervous bullies out there ,17 more sleeps till you face the music.
Have a look at rohan conollys tweet featuring jimmy on the hangar and all you nuffies out there will see another aod 9604 moment again.
No comprimises mr little take them all down.
So glad we waited 7 odd years for that 87th post bomber c

hoianbulldog

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2006
Hoi An, Vietnam. I am off the grid.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
did you ever think he came back a week early to coincide with Essendon's bye, so as not to cause a distraction?

No of course not...

Regarding that article, it's ludicrous - of course there will be a meeting to decide outcomes. It doesn't mean Hird didn't agree or needed to be told. What a joke.
You mean so the team playing football wouldn't distract the media attention of his return?

bomber c

Debutant
Jun 28, 2007
torquay
AFL Club
Essendon
So glad we waited 7 odd years for that 87th post bomber c
I only post quality as you can see blueboy.
By the way how did our bias media miss out on jimmys return ,no press insight on his arrival?
They know nothing and why did the footy show embarass themselves by going to air with all those no comments from essendons board members last night.
Worthy of another walkley award for purple it was so riverting.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
hey Laphroaig, totally off topic, but I finally took up your suggestion and got a bottle of the Tar & Roses shiraz. For the price point, a damn fine drop. Cheers.

Pleasure to be of service. T&R will keep very well into the medium term, and the peppery dryness which can be a tad obtrusive fades with age into a nice background tang, letting the fruit shine through.

Most of the Heathcote region wineries sit on amazing cambrian soil, of a nature to make a Frenchman drool. Sadly, they tend to price accordingly whether they are well constructed wines or not.

At the top end Wild Duck Creek shiraz is well worth a spin. Can be hard to get coz they export a lot of product, and it ain't no budget wine. The estate got it's international rep by accident in the early 90s with some shiraz grapes left on the vine way too long, but bottled anyway to try and squeeze a dollar out of it. They called it "Duck Muck" and it was astoundingly good, but it was much more of a fortunate * up than the master stroke the current literature pretends it was.

Back