Ways to watch the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

doberman

Team Captain
Sep 9, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Sorry if this should be on the main board, but I'm thinking one or two informative replies would be enough to close the thread.

Just wondering about the different avenues to watch the footy on the big screen this year. Aside from Free-to-Air

i'm looking for a comparison and any feedback from people who watch footy through different means.

- Foxtel: i think its 50 a month now? This would be the safest option, but then we'd have a foxtel subscription after the season. Cancellation fees?

-Afl Live App: $90 or so for the year although accessed through tablet or mobile. Could use chromecast to put on the bigscreen. Data usage? Reliability?

-Afl TV: not sure how this differs from the afl live app. My understanding is that there's no live streaming?

Sorry about the format, sent from my phone.

Let me know your experiences or any other options.

I was thinking Afl app for cost, but those very reasons were the main drawback. I thought i read on another thread that the chromecast works, which mirrors to the tv.

Id assume data usage would be quite large watching at least 3 games a week in high def.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk

I was thinking Afl app for cost, but those very reasons were the main drawback. I thought i read on another thread that the chromecast works, which mirrors to the tv.

Id assume data usage would be quite large watching at least 3 games a week in high def.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using Tapatalk
I've got Tesltra home broadband so the AFL content is unmetred and doesnt go towards my ~500gb a month allowance!

I've gone the AFL app due to cost.

Downside is i don't get the shows that Foxtel has and I think they have disabled mirroring the device through your TV on android or using Airplay for Apple phone/tablet.

Not true, I mirror my phone to my Apple TV, and it works a treat. For value for money I think AFL live app beats everything else hands down.

I've gone the AFL app due to cost.

Downside is i don't get the shows that Foxtel has and I think they have disabled mirroring the device through your TV on android or using Airplay for Apple phone/tablet.

I used the Apple airplay to watch on the big screen for the Sydney game.

I use a thing called screenbeam that mirrors my phone onto the 55' TV. The quality is probably just a bit worse than ch7 broadcast. This is due to scaling onto a bigger screen though. If the tv was say a 45' tv it would probably be better than the ch7 broadcast.

If you tv is 60' or bigger the quality i suspect would be too poor to watch.

Just went out and bought one of these and it works a treat. I'm a bit miffed that when I renewed my afl live subscription I thought I was getting the same product that I had last year. I didn't see any notification that they'd disabled Apple tv streaming, that was a bit cheeky. Anyway I'm back to watching footy on my widescreen so it's all good now. Thanks for the advice JamFrank.

Just went out and bought one of these and it works a treat. I'm a bit miffed that when I renewed my afl live subscription I thought I was getting the same product that I had last year. I didn't see any notification that they'd disabled Apple tv streaming, that was a bit cheeky. Anyway I'm back to watching footy on my widescreen so it's all good now. Thanks for the advice JamFrank.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You bought three?

I have a usb device that lets me plug a TV antenna into my computer so I watch all my footy on my computer monitor!

Unless you want to watch games live on the cheap. For those in non AFL states it's a good get.

I already have Foxtel Go/Apple AFL subscription but I like to watch/download replays from the AFL site. Not going to pay for the 3rd time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back