WBD 2015 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else heading to training at Maroochydore (Sunshine Coast) this weekend? Looking forward to seeing the boys in action....

I'm going to try to get down there but it's almost 250km each way for me to get there. I'll pm you on Saturday if I'm going and maybe we can catch up?

I've never really understood the criticism about his pace, as his forward pressure has always been one of his best attributes. For mine he's the obvious Gia replacement. Clever, good mark for his height and a very reliable, if not the best set shot for goal remaining in the side. A skill that a number of players competing for his spot are yet to master.

I agree. Is another that will benefit from having a monster FF up front.

You don't kick 100 goals in Div 1 EFL unless you are a VERY good footballer.

Will be interesting to see how players differ under the new game plan. We might see guys like wallis and dickson getting more of the ball and chasing less.
Will also be interesting to see whether the best form of defence turns out to be a good offence.

I think you make some very good points, from my observation the points you have raised are very relevant, that is certainly in the direction I see the Beveride game plan heading.

Will be interesting to see how players differ under the new game plan. We might see guys like wallis and dickson getting more of the ball and chasing less.
Will also be interesting to see whether the best form of defence turns out to be a good offence.

Isnt Dickson more a lead out forward then a crumber?

I agree, he does like a lead, but he also does some pretty good work crumbing.
I see him very much as the Gia replacement others have mentioned. There are a few differences in that Dickson is stronger and uses that to get away from opponents (breaking tackles or stiff arming), while Gia would out maneuver people. Other than that though, they both lead well and both crumb. Both excellent set shots.

I agree, he does like a lead, but he also does some pretty good work crumbing.
I see him very much as the Gia replacement others have mentioned. There are a few differences in that Dickson is stronger and uses that to get away from opponents (breaking tackles or stiff arming), while Gia would out maneuver people. Other than that though, they both lead well and both crumb. Both excellent set shots.
The other issue is Gia was our best ball user in heavy traffic, while Dickson either shoots at goal or tries to get free to hit a leading player up.
Dickson is nowhere near the midfielder/higher forward Gia was but he could be a super-sub goalkicking type. All depends on how Bevo sees his role in 2015

Good coaches can make bad kicks kick well too imo. I know
I didn't always think Boyd was a bad kick, I started noticing from 2010 onwards which coincided with the decline of Eade as an in form coach for our group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A shoe in? If he plays 22 games sure, but I don't think he's anywhere close to playing 22 let alone something like 10. I think a few will go past him if they already aren't.

A shoe in? If he plays 22 games sure, but I don't think he's anywhere close to playing 22 let alone something like 10. I think a few will go past him if they already aren't.
He'll play 15 games minimum, barring injury. And he'll definitely kick more than Boyd.

Why is Dickson always the one that people don't rate? He's one of our smartest forwards and is good enough to kick more than Boyd this year.

when i was at training the other day i noticed Dickson, he looked trim and fitter and it made me think that he and Tom Campbell both were drafted in the same year and after 3 years at the club that 1 if not both are at an AFL standard of fitness.

lets not forget that they both came from a low starting point.

Wouldn't call it a shoe in, needs to start the season well or I could see him falling behind some others. If he gets going early though I can definitely a see place for him to fit in.

You guys think it's a genuine 50/50 bet that Dickson kicks more than boyd?
If they play a similar amount of games Dicko kicks more hands down... For all his perceived short comings he knows how to kick goals and will be a handful in a team with quick ball movement IMO....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back