Competitions WCE Board Mock Draft v2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

#19 Carlton – Kyle Langford (VIC – Util)
Height: 190, Weight: 73kg, DOB: 01/12/1996
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Range: 5-20
Profile: Versatile tall.

Going best available here and I believe the Blues would be absolutely ecstatic if Langford made it this far! Whilst he isn't the same style player as Bontempelli despite their similar physiques, the comparisons are still fair. He shapes as a bottom ager still growing into his body and once he physically matures and puts on some more size this guy could be anything from 2nd or 3rd tall on either side of the ground to a dominant midfielder or flanker. I see him as a medium risk high reward type player who could even go as high as #5 to Collingwood. There's a lot of potential here and I suspect come the real draft he'll be snapped up a lot earlier than here.

I'm trying to tag "Don't fear The_Reaper" but he's not coming up as an option.

Saints Select Jarrod Garlett with 21 and Reece McKenzie with pick 22 write ups to come. soz about the hold ups was at work

GWS take Oscar McDonald with pick 23, and "Steele, Jack Steele" with pick 24

eagles rule

Very good selection there FiveStrings McDonald is very underrated on BF and at 23 he presents excellent value .....well done. :thumbsu:

23. GWS Giants - Oscar McDonald (key defender, North Ballarat Rebels, 196cm/88kg)

Very capable key defender, a good size and quite mobile for his size. The brother of Melbourne's Tom who despite being a late pick himself has blossomed into a best 22 defender and hopefully little bro Oscar will do the same.

As Monocle said, may be a bit underrated on here but in any event I was happy to reach a little to fill a need for GWS who are a bit short on key backs and have lost Frost this offseason, with what may end up being their last live pick. Had Lamb slipped a couple of extra spots it would have made my decision a lot more difficult.

24. GWS Giants - Jack Steele (mid/forward, Belconnen Magpies (academy selection), 186cm/82kg)

Academy selection for the Giants. Steele is a real competitive beast who hits the contest hard and tackles hard. He's a good user of the ball and a strong runner, although not particularly fast. He was eligible for last year's draft by a couple of weeks and missed out, but has come on in leaps and bounds this year. Also has my favourite name in the draft - if he wasn't a footballer he should be a secret agent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

26. Peter Bampton (182cm, 83kg midfielder from Norwood, SA)
Plays like: Tom Liberatore/Luke Dunstan
From Knightmare:
Best position/role:
Midfield – on the ball.
Strengths:
Inside game – Bampton’s point of difference is his inside game. He is a terrific inside extractor as someone who consistently wins the contested ball and then gives it off to outside runners by hand. He is clean by hand and has the composure inside to find his targets and the best targets inside the contest. He goes in harder than anyone else into the contest showing real aggression and a hard attack on the ball and will consistently win the ground balls. He does all the off the ball work delivering hard bumps and shepherding as applicable. When he tackles guys, he really tackles them with ferocity. He has the strength over the ball where he will not get knocked off it showing the strength to beat more mature competition to the contested ball.
Aggression – Bampton consistently demonstrates a hard edge inside the contest and really attacks every contest with a real hard intent to win the footy, he buries guys in his tackles and will deliver hard bumps around the contest.
Immediate impact – Having performed and performed exceptionally well against men at SANFL league level in 2013 and early 2014 it can reasonably be expected that Bampton can play regular senior AFL games from season one.
Strength – Has good strength in the contest really barrelling through at force and has good AFL weight already on his frame at 83kg.
Endurance – Runs all day and gets to every contest, runs a 15+ beep.
Off the ball work – Bampton frequently when involved inside the contest will give it off by hand and then look to put in a hard bump on opposition players to let them know that he is there. He is also willing to bump around the field and shepherd as appropriate.
Ability to draw free kicks - Bampton has shown a real knack for drawing free kicks as someone who can draw high tackles and by going in lower and harder than others into the contest.
Skillset – By hand Bampton is terrific and is an excellent inside extractor finding the outside runners and in congestion choosing the best option consistently, showing real composure with ball in hand and summing up his options well. By foot while not overly penetrating or damaging he is a mostly safe but efficient kick who shows a willingness to lower his eyes and find the best targets. By foot he is also a relatively good kick into the forward 50 as someone who for leading targets will kick it out in front of them to lead onto. By hand and foot whether in space or congestion Bampton makes the right decisions and it all shows with his excellent disposal efficiency at SANFL league level. Bampton has clean hands and rarely fumbles.
Weaknesses:
Outside game – Bampton while an efficient user of the footy is not likely to do much damage outside the contest as not an overly penetrating kick or a threat to break the lines. He also does not find a whole lot of outside ball as a genuine inside player at this stage doing his best work and finding most of his footy inside at this point. He will need to learn where to run and more frequently find the open spaces to present as more of an option around the ground.
Athleticism – As an athlete while Bampton gets by and moves sufficiently well to adjust seamlessly to play at the next level he is not a threat to break the lines, sidestep guys or outleap anyone in game.
Ability forward of centre – Bampton can occasionally sneak forward and hit the scoreboard but at this stage it is not a feature of his game.
What I expect will improve:I expect the natural improvement of Bampton’s inside game to continue and to become more and more dominant. I also anticipate Bampton makes going forward and having an impact a more prominent component to his game. While he likely never becomes overly proficient outside the contest I anticipate Bampton will with time begin to find more outside ball.
Who he can become? I see Bampton developing into a player of similar style and quality to Tom Liberatore as that hard but high level contested ball winner.
When will he be ready to play? Bampton is ready to play and play well from his first season and if healthy he is capable of debuting in round one if the opportunity is there given his proven performance over the past two seasons at SANFL League level.
How to best utilise him? Bampton is best utilised as an on the ball through the midfield.
Interpretation of his numbers: SANFL League numbers these past couple of seasons through the midfield have been outstanding. His contested ball winning numbers are excellent. His disposal efficiency is good. He has shown that he can draw free kicks to a high standard. And he has shown that he can consistently win the contested ball against strong competition and be among the dominant midfielders on the ground which are all signs suggesting he can play right away.

27. Jack Cripps (198cm, 85kg, DOB: 20/01/1996; East Fremantle)
Highlights
Comparison: Jack Fitzpatrick
Good height, clunks marks, very good contested ball winning ability for his size. Leads well and uses good patterns. Large frame with plenty of room to add weight. Game is eerily similar to Jack Fitzpatrick, chance to be a gun once his body fills out and he learns to use it.
Best game of the season:
17k11hb
11m1g1b5tkls17ho

Last edited:
12 hrs is up, your turn to pick thorne89.
Oh, and we're halfway to my first pick.
lucille-bluth-celebration-gif.gif

Remove this Banner Ad

Back