Universal Love We fly as one - 2015 tag line for the club.

Remove this Banner Ad

"They" in this context (they could never tear us apart) refers to a number of entities, not just the administrators of the SANFL...

In 1996 when part of our entry conditions meant that we had to shunt the Magpies to Ethelton - paid for by us out of funds we had earmarked for AFL development...

In 2001, 2002 and 2003, when we were labelled as chokers even though our finals performance was better than a number of teams in the competition...

In 2004 when both Brisbane and ourselves knew the rules regarding home finals and the MCG, but to this day Brisbane still whinge about it after capitalising on our failures the past three seasons...

In 2007 when Geelong attempted to destroy our psyche by 119 points...

In 2010-2012, where internal problems and poor coaching had people in the media questioning our relevance to the conpetition...

In the same time period when we had to give up our rights as a founding member of the SANFL to placate the ravenous horses in order to reunify and save the Magpies...

In 2013, when we had to give up our zones and grass roots development to clubs who have no interest in developing the game over on the Eyre Peninsula...

Though all of that, the Port Adelaide Football Club has remained. The song is about solidarity in the face of adversity. I'll readily admit that some, or even most, of these problems were self inflicted. But the key point is that no matter how strait the gait, how charged with punishments the scroll...Port Adelaide is the master of its own destiny. So if that appeals, in as much as the Creed appeals, then yeah, it can have national or even international appeal.
I may be in the minority but I attribute part of the collapse of our crowds to the constant anti advertising denigrating treatment from Adelaides mainstream media
Imagine for a moment if the roles were reversed and Port had the most favourable gushing talk up all the time on 5AA and the Advertiser from our inception ( in 1990 even)
and the crows were constantly given the Cornes treatment

People make their opinions from their media exposure ( the Kurds Sadam Hussein and WMD for eg or the right wing radio shock jocks vs the lefty ABC media )
Mud sticks and I may be laughed off of here but I would attribute at least 5,000 to 10,000 per game non attendance to the constant media bias
I think that AFC has had a taste if this in the last year or so also

Good question.

Never Tear Us Apart plays on the Underdog archetype.
You're either with us or against us.

What often creates confusion is the conflating of the literal with the lateral, your understanding of the truth and someone else's emotional response to their understanding of the truth. Tapping into the emotional responses of your audience to change their behaviour is the holy grail of branding and the use of NTUA, no matter how much rational argument you throw at it, does this is spades.

Relating this back to "The team for all South Australians", I don't believe that it still gets the same emotional response from your audience that it did in the beginning. It's my opinion, a professional one at that, is that the time is right to phase it out.

It's also worth noting that NTUA may also have an effective lifespan as brand positioning that is entirely separate to how long Port may use it as a pre-game ritual.
That's a fair response, but while I see what you're saying I have to disagree with your initial point of it being limiting. I haven't looked into it much, but how often would TTFASA be used outside of SA? Entities don't just have one branding strategy for their entire product.

In comparing Adelaide and Port's strategies, it makes sense that Port are trying to expand nationally right now. A couple of years ago they were irrelevant. They need that national exposure and are doing that quite well. But I don't see much proof that they're building national appeal any more effectively than Adelaide, mind you. We've always had fantastic away support in Melbourne, for example, because we've a lot of ex-SA supporters. National exposure is good, but when you're competing with states that already have their own teams, you're fighting an uphill battle, and it's better to focus on your epicentre first.

Further, Port are always going to be hindered by their ties to the SANFL. Everyone who knows anything about AFL in Australia probably knows that Port Adelaide and the SANFL go hand-in-hand. The Crows, though, are a team from SA. What your less inventive supporters will call a "franchise" might actually be more attractive because it doesn't have the baggage. So in saying that, NTUA creates a victim complex that exacerbates that baggage and gives off the vibe of an identity crisis (OneClub) and would be no more effective nationally than TTFASA.

A lot of what I say is just opinion and assumption. What I will say is that I'd like to see us phase TTFASA, too. I don't say that because I see it as a problem, but because I feel it's outdated and time to move on. I've no doubt Fagan has that in mind. If you get him to stand next to Trigg, and then try to point out which is more likely to drop the patriarchal drivel, it'll be him.

I may be in the minority but I attribute part of the collapse of our crowds to the constant anti advertising denigrating treatment from Adelaides mainstream media
Imagine for a moment if the roles were reversed and Port had the most favourable gushing talk up all the time on 5AA and the Advertiser from our inception ( in 1990 even)

People make their opinions from their media exposure ( the Kurds Sadam Hussein and WMD for eg or the right wing radio shock jocks vs the lefty ABC media )
Mud sticks and I may be laughed off of here but I would attribute at least 5,000 to 10,000 per game non attendance to the constant media bias
I agree that you will be laughed off.

That's nothing but self serving rubbish which attempts to shift the blame from the supporter base.

The fact is that your supporter base is currently made up of a significant % of front running bandwagon jumpers ( I know quite a few personally) who wouldn't know Fos Williams from Robbie Williams and think that John Cahill is just a place where you buy cars.

Whether these will become rusted on can't be known for probably ten years when the AFL natural cycle will again see you struggling.

Until then the supporter base should accept responsibility for their darkest years - years where they abandoned the club they apparently are so feverish to now worship. It was a time of utter humiliation and instead of trying to blame the media, the SANFL, the AFL and any other party you can think of, put your hand up and say " we were disgraceful supporters"

When this latest run of success evaporates and you are back with the pack, an opportunity for redemption will present itself - whether the supporter base will have the courage to stick strong is a question that can only be answered in those circumstances.

Blaming Port's problems on someone else? Id say you're in the majority as far as Port fans go.

Rucci on 5aa just now thought it was hilarious when some Port crud referred to our slogan as "Your fly is undone".

Had the smile wiped off his face in seconds when another panel member referred to Port's slogan as "and we will never tear up the tarps".
Have you ever read Rucci and his nob jockey mate Turbo Tom on Twitter. Couple of school boys. If my young fella carried on the way these two so called adults do, if give him a clip.

What a crock of crap, your supporters wouldn't let media bias stop them going if you were winning. When you were flying at AAMI you had big crowds, when you lost they dropped and when you were the laughing stock of the competition losing to newcomers like Gold Coast and the Bye they plummeted.

Rucci on 5aa just now thought it was hilarious when some Port crud referred to our slogan as "Your fly is undone".

Had the smile wiped off his face in seconds when another panel member referred to Port's slogan as "and we will never tear up the tarps".
The thing is that jibe out ours is lame, where as the tarps is gold

I agree that you will be laughed off.

That's nothing but self serving rubbish which attempts to shift the blame from the supporter base.

The fact is that your supporter base is currently made up of a significant % of front running bandwagon jumpers ( I know quite a few personally) who wouldn't know Fos Williams from Robbie Williams and think that John Cahill is just a place where you buy cars.

Whether these will become rusted on can't be known for probably ten years when the AFL natural cycle will again see you struggling.

Until then the supporter base should accept responsibility for their darkest years - years where they abandoned the club they apparently are so feverish to now worship. It was a time of utter humiliation and instead of trying to blame the media, the SANFL, the AFL and any other party you can think of, put your hand up and say " we were disgraceful supporters"

When this latest run of success evaporates and you are back with the pack, an opportunity for redemption will present itself - whether the supporter base will have the courage to stick strong is a question that can only be answered in those circumstances.
Post of the year. Janus once boasted that the fans not attending was there way of changing management, delusion is strong. He also said we were to pathetic as a supporter base to instigate a change of management, well we did without using tarps.

You don't need a marketing campaign if no one else has one. A lot has changed since the 90s. Most notably for the crows, Port Adelaide started winning games and a premiership.

What? Marketing is a new thing ... coolio.

And the thing that you think has changed a lot as far as the Crows is concerned is Port winning games and a premiership?

Wow, we really need some games of footy so we have something meaty to discuss - this is getting surreal o_O

Hang on, let me just phone Godwin. I need a ruling on the genocide of the Kurds by Saddam.

Port are actually in the fortunate position of being able to frame their national brand profile with the benefit of having learned from AFC's mis-steps since the early 90s.

It's like the second child in any family always benefits from the hard yards done by the first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port are actually in the fortunate position of being able to frame their national brand profile with the benefit of having learned from AFC's mis-steps since the early 90s.

It's like the second child in any family always benefits from the hard yards done by the first.

If this is the case, are they a special need child.

How many times have the made a mistake in this national branding exersize?

AFC have mostly ignored people below Gen X which allows PAP to throw caution to the wind in terms of imbuing their marketing with energy and vitality. And they seem authentic when they do so, AFC unfortunately feels a little contrived but while the crowds are healthy and the coffers are ok, maybe it ain't such a big deal. But it will be eventually.

I mean how long will Camry be the major sponsor? I can't think of a dowdier brand or product. It is so sensible and uninspiring. I know, maybe we could approach these guys to take over!

Mod Comment: Very clear troll who has been skating on thin ice as it is. Feel free to report any activity that isn't positive towards the club. Poster needs to establish themselves as a legitimate fan before any more negativity or slightly snide remarks to the club, or its fans here, will be tolerated.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:
Play the ball not the man.

Does anyone care to actually refute my analysis instead of calling "OMG TROLLZ!!!1!"

AFC have mostly ignored people below Gen X which allows PAP to throw caution to the wind in terms of imbuing their marketing with energy and vitality. And they seem authentic when they do so, AFC unfortunately feels a little contrived but while the crowds are healthy and the coffers are ok, maybe it ain't such a big deal. But it will be eventually.

I mean how long will Camry be the major sponsor? I can't think of a dowdier brand or product. It is so sensible and uninspiring. I know, maybe we could approach these guys to take over!

Wrong again Webster, Toyota are the major sponsor of the crows, not Camry. It's been that way for years.

Webby - I think you should build some credibility as a crows fan by posting in a positive manner about the club in other areas before only posting in a manner that aligns strongly with how Michaelango Rucci would express his opinions. I've asked others to not label you as such - but you need to help out here as well by establishing yourself as a crows fan by the content of your posting. If you can't be bothered doing that, as well as expressing your opinions which of course you are entitled to do, then there is no reason to believe you are anything but a troll and/or Rooch himself. Neither of which is welcome here if all you want to do is paint the club in a negative light.

I'll have you know that the Crows Camry has crowned its reputation as one of Australia's most popular and enduring vehicles with total sales in Australia passing the 850,000 mark.( as of Dec 2014 )

Now in its 32nd year in Australia, the impressive milestone reinforces the position of Camry as part of a powerful group of Toyota vehicle brands that have become household names.... Just like th Adelaide Crows:)

Webby - I think you should build some credibility as a crows fan by posting in a positive manner about the club in other areas before only posting in a manner that aligns strongly with how Michaelango Rucci would express his opinions. I've asked others to not label you as such - but you need to help out here as well by establishing yourself as a crows fan by the content of your posting. If you can't be bothered doing that, as well as expressing your opinions which of course you are entitled to do, then there is no reason to believe you are anything but a troll and/or Rooch himself. Neither of which is welcome here if all you want to do is paint the club in a negative light.

When he tells us, we should have a company that makes adult diapers as a sponsor, this makes his a troll.

Andrew your Avatar says you are a Adelaide supporter however reading your history of posts I seriously doubt that you support our club and your intentions seem to be to cast shadows over the club

Im starting to think its time that you have a spell

Remove this Banner Ad

Back