we need a mini rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to over react when pantsed like that.

We had a good year, despite a less than ideal year for many players. Uncovered some kids, got some great experience while a whole host of players mover ever closer to their 'prime' years.

We have some areas to address, we all see the need for a FB - ideally Thompson should be our the 3rd tall that can take med sized forward. We missed Hansen but he is no FB, he's more suited to high mobile types. We knew this was a problem area going into the season, thats why we took Tippet as the best non AFL option. Theres also Delaney, but neither of these guys are proven and our window with our outside mids such as Wells, Boomer, NDS is limited. Id be happy to trade our first rounder to address this area.

Midfield: We should only get better. Wells missed a lot, the worry for me is just how long he took to recover from a stepped on foot? Then performance drop off once sore. Hopefully he gets a better run at next year. JZ, Cunners, Atley, JMac, Basti should only get better, Swallow will definitely be better. Boomer......well just disappointing performance last night.

Forwards: Needs a restructure imo. I hope we get Waite. We have Petrie on last legs and Brown only a pup who has shown great promise and will only get better. Id be looking at only playing one of Brown/Petrie if possible (form and injury may change that). Brown is clearly a better kick, better hands, more agile but Petrie is AFL hardened. With both we're a little top heavy struggle defensively on the rebound imo. Waite is a FA (free) allowing us to use picks elsewhere, he's agile, fast, strong mark and good below he's knees, although forward pressure has been criticized in the past - that will have to improve.

Youngsters: Brown, LMac and Turner have had great years and should improve dramatically over the next few. The smaller bodies of the later two were really shown up at times against their battle hardened mature Swans opponents. Likewise Brown will get stronger, he should make the ideal Petrie replacement imo.

In short, a full back has a massive flow on effect along with getting Hansen back. A key mobile forward, we cant rely on Drew last legs, Black more a medium (3rd tall option), Brown and Wood who are just babes while in a contenders window. Add in organic growth, finals experience, a likes of Cunners, JZ, JMac, Atley and co getting nearer their early prime years and we're in good shape.

Last edited:

Disappointing thread.

Wells got us into a semi final.
Harvey should have been All Australian.
Firrito had an excellent year.
Petrie one of the few that beat his man all night.

Wells had little influence.
Harvey had little influence.
Firrito hack it forward turnovers.
Petrie didnt finish.

Yes, a terrible thread indeed. The usual suspects are blinded by their ignorance. Wells and spud dumb turnovers led to 6 sydney goals. Drew misses 2 easy goals. And that is game over.

Yes, a terrible thread indeed. The usual suspects are blinded by their ignorance. Wells and spud dumb turnovers led to 6 sydney goals. Drew misses 2 easy goals. And that is game over.
I liked it better when you did the thread about how you were quitting bf. What happened there?

I liked it better when you did the thread about how you were quitting bf. What happened there?

I've been saying for a while that Tarrant would make a good CHB. He should do the pre-season with the backs. I also think it will help with his injuries.

Also Curran is still around. I really like this kid the couple of times I saw him live for NB. If he can get his body right then he will be a wildcard.

Edit:

My back six in 2015

LMac. Tarrant. Hansen
Jmac. Tippet Thompson.

Thompson to always play on the weakest forward, small or tall.

He would kill it as a half back flanker.

Last edited:
An extra top ten pick or two over the last 3 years would've been handy.

Getting Luke for 2nd pick last year would've been handy.

Finding brown and Turner was incredibly handy at those picks.

But aging wells and Boomer adds to the pressure of needing 'complete' players added to the list.

If we have another few wins this off season we may take the leap, but I don't think it's a given with this current crop. There's too many 'almost' moments with this list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The list needs minimal tweaking for next year. Injuries to some key backs left us vulnerable in the end.

Delist: McMahon, McMkenzie, Tarrant, LA, Curran, Hine. and either GRIMA or FIRRITO. Firritos body at least holds up so I would keep him one more year as back up.

If we can get Delaney and Tippet up and running next year without injuries they will make some difference to the way we structure up in the back line. You would have Tippet, Delaney as lock down backmen which frees up Thompson and Hansen to do what they do best and be 3rd men up and are capable of launching attacks from the half back line.

Garner is another player we need free from injury. He showed in a handful of games he has toughness, run and flair to be something.

As a priority we need at least 1 Key Position and another speedy outside player.

We have Wood and Dumont pushing hard and although Mullett had an indifferent year he is 22 and I believe capable of pushing himself to get back into our best 22.

Basti is definitely trade bait but wouldn't expect to get more than a pick between 20 - 30 for him (which is where we picked him up with). This draft is expected to go deep so it might be worth the gamble if we can get a low 20's pick for him.

The only player I have no idea about is KIERAN HARPER. This guy has done my head in this year and yes I know he has had injuries, but he has so much talent and potential I think he is worth giving him one more year. We aint gonna get anything for him in a trade situation so is worth giving one more year.

This pre season has to be bigger and better than any other team. I noticed the Sydney players and absolutely no fat. They are lean and toned and very fit. Some of our players need to have a look in the mirror and sweat their ass of this pre season.

Hold the faith and don't panic we will be up there again next year.
GO ROOS.

Good post but how long do we wait for the same old mob to wise up? 3 100 points losses in finals since 2008. The senior players just seem to give up too easily. We need new blood. We need players who give a sh.t North have a chance to salute in the next 5 years. The hard call has to be made now. Or we are f.cked as a club.

You were right in that it was the older players that let us down, but the rest of the post was semi stupid. Wells has missed most of the year, Boomer I'll grant you, was average, but playing on a good player, Black can now finally get his operation, and Petrie I'll grant you as well. We could've applied some scoreboard pressure if not for those missed shots and it's an old story, and Spud has had a fantastic year.
The Boomer comment is a cop out. Cunningham is not a superstar and Boomer should have at least been able to work into the game. The little champ let us down last night, but its time for this footy club to become less dependant on him. He shouldn't be copping tags at his age, but no one else has stepped to take the load off him.

Over lots of years of following the club I have seen and admired lots of champion players. But the club is bigger then any individuals. We aren't not essondonialists. We have to make the hard decisions and I feel scott is capable. His elevation of turner and brown and the way he has managed Levi and wright gives me hope.

The Boomer comment is a cop out. Cunningham is not a superstar and Boomer should have at least been able to work into the game. The little champ let us down last night, but its time for this footy club to become less dependant on him. He shouldn't be copping tags at his age, but no one else has stepped to take the load off him.

I think to be fair to Boomer, his preparation going into the game was far from ideal, one minute he is out of the game & then gets a late reprieve. It must have had some effect on him.

I can't understand the negativity regarding Wells either. The guy has missed 4 months of footy & is clearly not match fit. I'm sure next season will see him return to his best form.

I think to be fair to Boomer, his preparation going into the game was far from ideal, one minute he is out of the game & then gets a late reprieve. It must have had some effect on him.

I can't understand the negativity regarding Wells either. The guy has missed 4 months of footy & is clearly not match fit. I'm sure next season will see him return to his best form.
Wellsy was brilliant against essendon. But since then nothing. He can't pick and choose when he has to go hard. At this level go hard or go home

Am I wrong from watching scotts press conference and thinking he is confident of a premiership window 0'15? Although on another note really curious on the role of Harvey. Seems like he gets pushed over easily against a hungry,classy team

No excuses. The Swan are just too good. We are still a very very long way to the top. To me, beaten Essendon and Geelong was a very small step up the ladder. The way Port play tonight, I don't think we can beat Port either, let alone Sydney. I don't think with the team we have now are able to challenge the Swan 2015. Too big, too strong. As someone said on the post, it's like boys playing with men.

I think that the use of the "mini rebuild" or "rebuild" term has lead some on here to see this as a major criticism of our 2014 effort. 2014 was a very successful year for us in terms of moving up the ladder and getting finals experience into the group. However if we were to simply rely on natural improvement we will be lucky to have us repeat the 2014 success. While the younger players should improve, the older players won't and could be lesser. We do need to improve our list as we have a two year plus window to achieve the ultimate success. By season 2017 we can expect to have lost Harvey, Petrie, Wells, Firrito, Nick Dal Santo, Thompson, Grima, Gibson.

As has been stated we have a number of players who, if they can put their injuries behind them, could fill some hole e.g. Grima, Tarrant, Garner, Curran, Tippett & McMillan. Only the Club will have a solid fact based view on these. We also have a group that from the outside appear to be in the "won't make it category". These need to be moved on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back