Toast We need to change back to Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

How was that the fault of the club name? Surely the administrators were the ones that f***** up the finances, or does a name cause a financial crisis all on its own now?
We were broke in 2003 and are $10mill plus in debt now, must be the FFC on the back of the jumper :)

Because cleveland made it a toast. We had nothing to do with it.
Bullshit. The mods are responsible for everything.

If I were mod, I would give everyone free toast. And the good kind, not the crap you get from Maccas or something.

I think it's possible in the future that we could going back to being called Footscray but for now I'm happy with us being known as the Western Bulldogs. I'm supporter who lives in the east and believe that the East West Day can be giving much more attention than it is currently to get some more support out this way. Ultimately we need to be winning on the field and having sustains success to attract support.

I still call us Footscray and will until the day I die, but this would be a horrible move.

There'll be no drop off in support, but there will be in sponsorship, and frankly, such an extensive rebrand would be a waste of the club's time and money for absolutely no net gain.

That said, it's up to the supporters to bring back that Footscray feel, because the club has to have both eyes fixed firmly on the road ahead.

Chant 'Foot-SCRAY, Foot-SCRAY' even at Etihad.
Get some banners acknowledging our history into the cheer squad - 'Welcome to the Land of Boulders', 'Up the Saltwater Lads', and so on.
Pack out the Whitten Oval every week in the VFL.
Bring back some old traditions and give them new life on the concourse outside Etihad.
Pressure the club into wearing some old heritage jumpers more often, like the ones we wore in the 80s (we already got our hoops back!).

Oh, and make timtamWB a mod. He promised us we'd get toast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That said, it's up to the supporters to bring back that Footscray feel, because the club has to have both eyes fixed firmly on the road ahead.

Get some banners acknowledging our history into the cheer squad - 'Welcome to the Land of Boulders', 'Up the Saltwater Lads', and so on.
Bring back some old traditions and give them new life on the concourse outside Etihad.
Pressure the club into wearing some old heritage jumpers more often, like the ones we wore in the 80s (we already got our hoops back!)..
Exactly. What would changing the name to Footscray actually achieve? Can anybody actually tell me? A lot of people still refer to us as Footscray, it's not like it's dead, it's well acknowledged that it's a part of us. Hell, our reserves are called Footscray now. Changing the actual moniker is just semantics. It's up to the supporters. And some of these things are already happening: Whitten Oval is getting very good crowds, we got the hoops back. Let's get BRG93 and VitalDread to get the Footscray chant in the AFL, and then wait for the club to just continue it on. We don't need to be rebranded as Footscray, but we need to get that emotion back, and that's all up to the people.

I will not post....
No We Don't!!!
/Thread
must not post...
Re watch the year of the dog and see how stuffed we were as a club financial as the footscray.
cannot post....
Would be a major step backwards and could end the club

No big sponsor wants to be any part of the "footscray" name no matter why we think.

It's as dead as the dodo let it rest :)
Don't make me!
"Western" saved our club, we nearly lost it altogether being Footscray so i'm happy to adopt the Western suburbs in order to stay alive and even thrive in the future. As was said above, we have our Footscray fix in the VFL now which is fantastic.

Just a side note, was the name "West Melbourne Bulldogs" ever thrown up? Sounds a little weird but I guess it's no different to North Melbourne Kangaroos...
Oh hell diddly-ding dong crap!
First, the Footscray name had nothing to do with club finances. It was just a ******* name! The only name we've ever won a premiership under. The same name we had the highest membership in Victoria under.
Administrative failure is why we were on our knees. We had short-sighted admin after short-sighted admin to the point we had no money and had sold all our players.

In fact we were just as ****ed in 2003 under the newly minted corporate bullshit Western name and had to take a shitty new stadium deal and beg an opposition club's president to help get us a ******* sponsor! We nearly lost our club that year and Footscray had very little to do with it.

Further Western did not save our club David Smorgon saved our club with his money and his passion, Western was just his payment. Western did not save our club anymore than Footscray did in 89' the people and their passion saved our club in both scenarios.

If you have a problem with Footscray then I have no idea why you don't have a problem with being associated with the whole western suburbs. Footscray is a very different place to what it was in the mid 90s. It is on the verge of trendy, much like Brooklyn in NYC. It has a hard edge and a tough brand. It is really not that different to Collingwood or Richmond. The greater western suburbs of Melbourne on the other hand encompass such fantastic shitholes as Scumshine, Werribee, Stab Albans, Deer Park and Braybrook.

That said, I have said more than once that we should not change back for one reason and one reason only, and that is because we have sold the AFL on the bullshit Western name. All this despite the fact that it has had no effect on garnering support from the western region of Melbourne (we were always the team of Melbourne's west) and has made very little difference to our quest for sponsorship. We still struggle big time with both and that is mostly tied to our lack of success. I have mostly made my peace with the 'Western' name but please don't give me the line of bullshit that the Footscray name had anything to do with our woes in the late 80s and 90s. It is just a ******* name it hasn't got that much power, actually any administration worth its salt would've have turned it into a positive for our club rather than conditioned us into believing it is a negative and tried to shy away from it.

I will not post....

must not post...

cannot post....

Don't make me!

First, the Footscray name had nothing to do with club finances. It was just a ******* name! The only name we've ever won a premiership under. The same name we had the highest membership in Victoria under.
Administrative failure is why we were on our knees. We had short-sighted admin after short-sighted admin to the point we had no money and had sold all our players.

In fact we were just as ****** in 2003 under the newly minted corporate bullshit Western name and had to take a shitty new stadium deal and beg an opposition club's president to help get us a ******* sponsor! We nearly lost our club that year and Footscray had very little to do with it.

Further Western did not save our club David Smorgon saved our club with his money and his passion, Western was just his payment. Western did not save our club anymore than Footscray did in 89' the people and their passion saved our club in both scenarios.

If you have a problem with Footscray then I have no idea why you don't have a problem with being associated with the whole western suburbs. Footscray is a very different place to what it was in the mid 90s. It is on the verge of trendy, much like Brooklyn in NYC. It has a hard edge and a tough brand. It is really not that different to Collingwood or Richmond. The greater western suburbs of Melbourne on the other hand encompass such fantastic shitholes as Scumshine, Werribee, Stab Albans, Deer Park and Braybrook.

That said, I have said more than once that we should not change back for one reason and one reason only, and that is because we have sold the AFL on the bullshit Western name. All this despite the fact that it has had no effect on garnering support from the western region of Melbourne (we were always the team of Melbourne's west) and has made very little difference to our quest for sponsorship. We still struggle big time with both and that is mostly tied to our lack of success. I have mostly made my peace with the 'Western' name but please don't give me the line of bullshit that the Footscray name had anything to do with our woes in the late 80s and 90s. It is just a ******* name it hasn't got that much power, actually any administration worth its salt would've have turned it into a positive for our club rather than conditioned us into believing it is a negative and tried to shy away from it.

Lol couldn't help yourself

I still call us Footscray and will until the day I die, but this would be a horrible move.

There'll be no drop off in support, but there will be in sponsorship, and frankly, such an extensive rebrand would be a waste of the club's time and money for absolutely no net gain.

Pressure the club into wearing some old heritage jumpers more often, like the ones we wore in the 80s (we already got our hoops back!).

Oh, and make timtamWB a mod. He promised us we'd get toast.
I get what you're saying here and it is a possibility. But if there ever was to be a rebrand (there probably shouldn't be) it is up to our administration to sell sponsors on it. Much like North did with their change back, which was sold off both tradition and stability and actually worked to galvanise their supporter base and attract new sponsors at the same time.

If Gordon and Garlick are as good as I hope they are they could do it with aplomb.

I get what you're saying here and it is a possibility. But if there ever was to be a rebrand (there probably shouldn't be) it is up to our administration to sell sponsors on it. Much like North did with their change back, which was sold off both tradition and stability and actually worked to galvanise their supporter base and attract new sponsors at the same time.

If Gordon and Garlick are as good as I hope they are they could do it with aplomb.
Could not agree more.
Can't you morons do anything right?
Plenty of stigma surrounding names like Collingwood and Adelaide, and they get by.

If you have a problem with Footscray then I have no idea why you don't have a problem with being associated with the whole western suburbs. Footscray is a very different place to what it was in the mid 90s. It is on the verge of trendy, much like Brooklyn in NYC. It has a hard edge and a tough brand.
Love this. Footscray is a hub of creativity, diversity, culture and growth, and yet the people are still working class, passionate and tough as nails.

The stigma wanes with each passing day. We should be proud that we're from Footscray. There might've been a dark age in between, but we've got a long history of hard yakka and booming industry to look back on, and a bright future ahead.
Amen. Administrations of both Footscray and the AFL in the 80s have plenty to answer for. Any club was capable of signing a high profile sponsor, so long as they weren't bullied and coerced by the V/AFL, and so long as they weren't run by some weak willed milquetoast with no guts or sense of pride in the jumper.

Luckily our club wasn't first in line when Oakley had the sniff of blood in the nostrils, and that our supporters fought and fought and came away with their football club intact. We've got far more to thank than a vague geographical moniker.

Yeah it's close to Knifepoint and just up the road from Stab Albans.
Do not like - you're standing up for Footscray as a suburb but dissing other suburbs?

tumblr_mig21eW8RJ1rvl01zo1_500.png

But she's got a new hat

Remove this Banner Ad

Back