We Need Waters.

Remove this Banner Ad

OK. And why do we want him?
Apparently... he brings with him winning culture and work habits (not sure how much of that is really him) as well as a good kick, and plays HBF which would allow Hurn to move to the midfield (despite him not having the tank)... who cares if he's 30, he's got a couple of good season in him (despite him being injury prone)...

Good thing he doesn't play in the midfield.

Oh really?

Obviously he doesn't, therefore the silly notion that Waters is the key to us being more successful is a load of shite, whilst our average midfield (our actual flaw) continues to be average. Him being in the team doesn't change that.

Oh really?

Obviously he doesn't, therefore the silly notion that Waters is the key to us being more successful is a load of shite, whilst our average midfield (our actual flaw) continues to be average. Him being in the team doesn't change that.

He's important to our back-line structure for the reasons outlined above so I think you should give this All Australian a chance.

He's important to our back-line structure for the reasons outlined above so I think you should give this All Australian a chance.

He'd help with our ball movement and allow Hurn to get up the ground, no doubt. But that doesn't change our fundamental flaw, which is our midfield.

it will be very interested to see how Simpson uses Waters next year.

Simpson seems to favour good ball users in the backline (ie. Hurn, Bennell, Ellis, etc) and Waters does not fit in that philosophy whatsoever as he is one of the worst kicks of a football currently on an AFL list.
Simpson played our new Brownlow medalist, a comparable kick to Waters in his preferred role this season. Assuming health, Waters will be played in his natural position and will be a much needed warrior down back. I miss seeing the stupid positions he puts himself in to take a mark.

Simpson played our new Brownlow medalist, a comparable kick to Waters in his preferred role this season. Assuming health, Waters will be played in his natural position and will be a much needed warrior down back. I miss seeing the stupid positions he puts himself in to take a mark.

who do we drop to make way for waters next year?

bennell is likely the one to miss out, which is a shame because he bring invaluable run and creativity to the team.

it's shame we didn't capitalize on Waters' inflated reputation by trading him at the end of 2012. we could have picked up a top line player.

I was pretty impressed with Beau's intercept marking in 2012, he read the play really well and was good at coming in as the extra man. Having said that, I would like to see him tried as a defensive forward as some others have suggested. I seem to remember him playing a solid final in the forward half one time, perhaps in the qualifying final against the swans in 06? kicked a couple of goals if memory serves.

Brilliant on field leader who stands up in big games. Will never forget how he cleaned up Jab Watson back in 2011. Also loved his mark in the 06 grand final and when he confronted Bazza after he sconned Staker.

Brilliant on field leader who stands up in big games.

he also has a track record of making calamitous errors in big games.

i think his return next year is problematic. it could very well offset the balance of our back line, which is probably the only area that has shown improvement under simpson.

i think his return next year is problematic. it could very well offset the balance of our back line, which is probably the only area that has shown improvement under simpson.

I call bullshit, I cant remember him making errors in big games.
His finals record is very very good.
Name these so called big game errors ?
I think you will find the errors where in run of the mill games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way.

He actually is at his best in big games.

If he is fit and they say he is , I can't see how adding a AA defender unbalances the team.

As far as his disposal goes he improved out of sight in this department in 2012 and early 2013.

He is also the only one who meets ALL necessary criteria in the leadership stakes.

he masks our midfield flaws. with waters and hurn and now yeo in the back line, these three basically intercept and bomb the ball back into our f50, completly bypassing our mids. We lose the ball they mop up and counter attack

You watch Hodge today and it makes you realise how important Beau is to our side.

please. bit of a stretch there.

waters may share similarities to hodge in terms of courage and reckless abandon, but that's where it ends.

hodge's kicking skills, decision making and overall footy smarts are all VASTLY superior to beau's.

Last edited:
please. bit of a stretch there.

waters may share similarities to hodge in terms of courage and reckless abandon, but that's where it ends.

hodge's kicking skills, decision making and overall footy smarts are all VASTLY superior to beau's.

Some credit here but the real question is has he lost leg speed. Whilst his arms are his weak point, he will only fit in is he has the pace to keep up with the game which has shifted in his 2 year sabbatical. He also makes other players around him play tougher and stronger. Imagine how much more confident Gaff, Yeo and Rosa will be when they hear Waters calling and guiding them!

Looking yesterday, Hodge Lewis and Mitchell - none of them particularly fast but they read the ball so well and make great decisions.

Not AFL standard.

Can't kick. Can't play. And we're not hard up for hard/mature bodies these days.

There's a lot of talk about him playing forward. I'd rather him play forward than back, but I don't think people realise how much it hurts when you have guys who can't kick kicking for goal.

Every time a Curnow, De Boer, McLean (insert about 30 players names who currently play in the AFL here) have a set shot, the chance of them kicking it is usually pretty slim. It hurts when guys who can't kick straight win the ball in the 50.

Not AFL standard.
Easily AFL standard.
Can't kick. Can't play.
Nat Fyfe can't play?
And we're not hard up for hard/mature bodies these days.
Do you mean we aren't struggling for hard/mature bodies? Because we definitely are, and they are definitely required for finals footy.

Easily AFL standard.
There's no shortage of players who can read the play as loose man in defence. His role makes him look better than he really is.

Waters' quality is backing into packs and being the muscle. A good thing to have. But he can't kick and hasn't be able to find a work around like Dabba Glass did.

Nat Fyfe can't play?
He has a dodgy boot but he still influences games way more to his team's favour. He's a match winner and they're not only rare as hens teeth but they are extremely valuable. Waters has way worse disposal and his attribute isn't quite as rare and not nearly as valuable.

Do you mean we aren't struggling for hard/mature bodies? Because we definitely are, and they are definitely required for finals footy.
We no longer need the Adam Selwoods of this world. I wouldn't think Waters is capable of playing midfield so in the back we have McKenzie, Brown, Hurn, maybe Yeo, maybe Wellingham. Forward we have Kennedy, Darling, Le Cras, Cripps. There's also Rosa, Shuey. Sheperd is getting there.

This is not where our deficiency is. Waters hardness and bravery is second to none (i rate him higher than J Selwood as people seem to mistake playing for free kicks with bravery), but his disposal really hurts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back