We will have 8 x 30 year olds on our list next year

Remove this Banner Ad

30 is such an overrated number. Just Because they turn 30, it doesn't meant they will retire there and then.

Still I reckon Guerra and Osborne will retire this season. Hodge, Mitchell, Sewell easily have 2-3 years left and Hawks can get some good mids in this draft.

Hawks might get Daisy Thomas if he is interested of winning another flag. He wont get another one at Collingwood.:D

So?? This bullsh.t notion that once your 30, somehow you lose all your skill etc. Just means more experience heads around the club!

Goo out, Cheney IN

Fishing for some 'Traut?

The side in the OP is light one key defender. Otherwise, looking pretty good. You'd think we'll stay in the top half of the ladder for the foreseeable future. Just looking at those either thirty-year-olds to be, I reckon they all have at least another season or two in them. As someone who is turning thirty next year myself, I don't see any problem at all with having 8 in one side. No problem at all.

Unfortunately, I think it's more to do with the salary cap than a skill or speed decline that sees guys over 30 shuffled off AFL lists. It's much cheaper to have a first or second year drafted player than a veteran. The younger guys will do anything they can to make their dream of playing AFL happen, and at that age they don't have many financial worries. Try telling a 30 year old that's been on $500,000 a season that they are now worth less than half that. Even then clubs would probably prefer to just pay a first year draftee salary. The veterans payment helps with this (I think it's $112,000) but doesn't completely rectify the problem as keeping veterans on the list somewhat kills the future of a club by preventing the recruitment and development of a younger player. The only way around this is in addition to the veterans payments, the list should allow 2-3 extra spots for players over the age of say 32 with an even better veteran payment allowance.

Decided to have a look at the average age of our Premiership teams to compare with our team at the moment. Figured it's relative to this thread and best off to put it here rather than start a new one.

Premiership Teams:
61 - 23y 15d Older than opposition
71 - 24y 114d Older
76 - 23y 300d Younger
78 - 23y 303d Younger
83 - 25y 180d Older
86 - 25y 288d Younger
88 - 26y 135d Older
89 - 26y 133d Older
91 - 26y 166d Older
08 - 24y 219d Younger

QF - Vs Sydney:
Hawthorn - 26y 140d
Sydney - 26y 91d

Our other main competitors on the weekend:
Geelong - 26y 224d
Freo - 25y 257d

Buddy is 83 days older than Spangher for those wondering.

We have quite a few young midfielders waiting in the ranks at Box Hill - Hallahan, Woodward, Anderson, Langford, so we need to ensure they get some AFL experience while we rest the over 30's on an ad-hoc basis next year. Of course the clincher is that we need to be in winning form and up in the top 4 before we can consider resting our veterans through the season. Clarkson and his team will need to show their development credentials this time, as Clarkson successfully did with Buddy, Roughy, Lewis and to some degree Ellis.

We have quite a few young midfielders waiting in the ranks at Box Hill - Hallahan, Woodward, Anderson, Langford, so we need to ensure they get some AFL experience while we rest the over 30's on an ad-hoc basis next year. Of course the clincher is that we need to be in winning form and up in the top 4 before we can consider resting our veterans through the season. Clarkson and his team will need to show their development credentials this time, as Clarkson successfully did with Buddy, Roughy, Lewis and to some degree Ellis.

The problem is that non of the Box Hill boys are going to become a Mitchell or a Burgoyne. We desperately need at least 1 replacement for those who will be an A grader to elite type midfielder. Sewell is easily replaceable with what we have. Hallahan, Langford or Woodward will be able to cover his loss.

yeah it's a non issue with the two expansion clubs coming in as the quality overall has thinned just a little that players hitting 30 don't just fall off a cliff also we are perfectly placed to start replacing them with free agency/un-compromised drafts over the next few years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I think sucklings days of being considered a defender are over. He might play a little defence on a needs/rotation basis but I don't think that's where the coaching staff have earmarked his return after injury.

The problem is that non of the Box Hill boys are going to become a Mitchell or a Burgoyne. We desperately need at least 1 replacement for those who will be an A grader to elite type midfielder. Sewell is easily replaceable with what we have. Hallahan, Langford or Woodward will be able to cover his loss.

No one expected Mitchell to become the gun he is now after winning the JJ Liston medal at Box Hill all those years back. I'd avoid discounting Hallahan with this in mind!

Not sure you can make that call now. Hallahan has shown some very good signs. He is a pretty determined individual. So is Anderson.

Rioli will only get better and better as a mid and should become A grade. Puopolo has improved out of sight as a mid and for mine is going to be a genuine rover something we have lacked for sometime. It is the current 2nd string AFL mids that need to step up to A grade status not the box hill apprentices. Lewis will become a mainstream mid too I reckon. Not sure Breust can given his legspeed. And as others have said free agency opportunities exist. Plus we have genuine depth and should be able to trade for picks and with Graham Wright our recruiting has been amazing.

Love the meatloaf avatar by the way.

No one expected Mitchell to become the gun he is now after winning the JJ Liston medal at Box Hill all those years back. I'd avoid discounting Hallahan with this in mind!

Mitchell was a totally different level to Hallahan. Without knowing the exact numbers Mitchell would have got close to double the votes in about 10 or so games. Although I wish it was a sign we may have a Mitchell mark 2 on our hands. unfortunately I don't think we do.

Not sure you can make that call now. Hallahan has shown some very good signs. He is a pretty determined individual. So is Anderson.

Rioli will only get better and better as a mid and should become A grade. Puopolo has improved out of sight as a mid and for mine is going to be a genuine rover something we have lacked for sometime. It is the current 2nd string AFL mids that need to step up to A grade status not the box hill apprentices. Lewis will become a mainstream mid too I reckon. Not sure Breust can given his legspeed. And as others have said free agency opportunities exist. Plus we have genuine depth and should be able to trade for picks and with Graham Wright our recruiting has been amazing.

Love the meatloaf avatar by the way.

Rioli IMO will never and should never become a full time midfielder. He is the best small forward in the country. I really don't see why we should risk him his his history of injuries. I don't mind him rotating through every now and then, but that should be all. Lewis could become an A grader (maybe) and Puopolo tries hard and reads the play well, however he lacks the skill to even think of becoming the player we require. Anderson will be interesting to see how he develops, same with Hill. Breust and Smith are going to have interesting years next season. I feel they are both at cross roads in their careers between being very good players and A grade/ elite type players.

I mentioned somewhere 2 months ago we should target Adams (GWS). His defensive pressure and ability to find the ball regularly make him a good replacement for a Mitchell type (although his disposal is not even close to Mitchell's).

Mitchell was a totally different level to Hallahan. Without knowing the exact numbers Mitchell would have got close to double the votes in about 10 or so games. Although I wish it was a sign we may have a Mitchell mark 2 on our hands. unfortunately I don't think we do.

Reckon it was 31 votes out of 11 games.

There are more recruiting areas than box hill hawks though...

Still What the hawks will use their 1st and 2nd round picks will be very interesting.

Sewell is replaceable but is still a Handy player as well. Hence why I think he will be around for another 2-3 more years.

There are more recruiting areas than box hill hawks though...

Still What the hawks will use their 1st and 2nd round picks will be very interesting.

Sewell is replaceable but is still a Handy player as well. Hence why I think he will be around for another 2-3 more years.

You make a great point. In fact the best recruiting ground IMO over the last few seasons has been the WAFL. You just have soooo much talent and potential in that league.

The players I mentioned though are Hawthorn listed players. You are right again in what Hawks use their 1st and second round draft picks on will be very, very interesting. I cannot see us getting an Anderson type player again (would have likely gone first or early second round). I feel the Buddy situation is going to affect the entire draft for almost every club. If you follow the EPL Buddy is the Bale of the last trade period.

You make a great point. In fact the best recruiting ground IMO over the last few seasons has been the WAFL. You just have soooo much talent and potential in that league.

The players I mentioned though are Hawthorn listed players. You are right again in what Hawks use their 1st and second round draft picks on will be very, very interesting. I cannot see us getting an Anderson type player again (would have likely gone first or early second round). I feel the Buddy situation is going to affect the entire draft for almost every club. If you follow the EPL Buddy is the Bale of the last trade period.

Yeah I agree with your thoughts on Buddy. Im more surprised that if Buddy Leaves, Hawks only get pick 20 as a compo pick. It should be at least between pick 5-10 in my opinion. Yet if Collingwood loses daisy thomas, their compo pick is pick 11 and he has been injured all season.

Heres my gut prediction...

If buddy Leaves: Hawks 1st round pick will be a key forward.

If Buddy stays: Hawks 1st round pick will be a midfielder.

WAFL has a fair bit of talent. I wouldnt be half shocked if the hawks grab a mature aged player again like puopolo.

Personally I think sucklings days of being considered a defender are over. He might play a little defence on a needs/rotation basis but I don't think that's where the coaching staff have earmarked his return after injury.
RB, is this based on your gut feel? Or do you have some inside knowledge?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back