We will have 8 x 30 year olds on our list next year

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's hope by the end of the 2015 season another plus 30 player has been replaced and is fining it hard to get into the side. E.G Langford taking Sewell's spot.

It will be interesting to see how we manage the load on our older players next year if we get a better run with injuries.

This year the likes of Mitch and Gibbo missed games through injury but if they are right to go do we still give them breaks to put games into the likes of Litherland and Jed if they happened to be starved of opportunity?

Hodge and Mitchell are not getting any faster and I fear their form may drop off if they can't get their bodies to the contests as they have before. Hopefully we get similar outputs from them in 15 but they will both struggle in 16.
I respect your opinion but I'm not sure what evidence there is for a Hodge/Mitchell decline when they were two of the best three players on the field in the best performance by a Hawthorn team in at least 25 years...

Neither of them really rely on leg speed for their effectiveness - more so quick reflexes and reading the play. I think that they each have at least 2 more years left, but will probably be managed and play only 18-20 games at most per H&A season.

I predict.
2015 Threepeat Lake retires
2016 Finish 6 - 8 Mitchell, Hodge, Burgoyne, Hale retire
2017 Mini rebuild 6 - 8 Gibbo reitres
2018 Lewis captains flag then retires
2019 Roughead captains back to back then retires
2020 Langford captains another threepeat then retires to replace his dad on the AFL Comission.

Let's face it, nobody know including the players.
We have topped up to win the flag again in 2015 whilst Mitch, Hodge, Lake, Gibbo & Burger at still at the top of their game
That's going to feel a lot like losing Lillie, Chappel & Marsh.

I'm a little more pessimistic than some re our oldies. I think lake and hale have 12 months left and Hale will play half the year at Box Hill.
Gibbo slowed down markedly this year both in foot speed and he missed several critical attempts at the golden fist that he would previously have got to. Frawley will help but Gibbo might only have one to go as well.
Burger was looking great this year and will go for 2 more.
Hodge and Mitchell are not getting any faster and I fear their form may drop off if they can't get their bodies to the contests as they have before. Hopefully we get similar outputs from them in 15 but they will both struggle in 16.
Plenty of opportunities for young blokes to step up coming soon.

I took Gibbo's misses as a result of a lack of confidence post his surgery. It took him a long while to get back to the top level.

I expect he'll be better in 2015, but not as good as he was in 2013.

I respect your opinion but I'm not sure what evidence there is for a Hodge/Mitchell decline when they were two of the best three players on the field in the best performance by a Hawthorn team in at least 25 years...

Neither of them really rely on leg speed for their effectiveness - more so quick reflexes and reading the play. I think that they each have at least 2 more years left, but will probably be managed and play only 18-20 games at most per H&A season.
Fair enough. Yes they were fantastic. It's really just a gut feel based on:
- hodge's body has taken a pounding over the years
- he's not the line breaker he once was.
- he plays his best loose man in defence because he can't outrun blokes one on one and reads the play so well.
- every year over 30 in the modern game is hard yakka.
- Mitch I think lost a yard after the hammy and he didn't have many to start with.
- the kicking left foot for goal worries me. It smacks of loss of confidence in his leg.
- he was helped by not being tagged due to the arrogance of several teams.
- no doubt he is the best extractor, indeed our best player for 10 years, his hands are a joy to watch, I just have a feeling he won't be able to keep his sharpness after another 12 months at the coal face.

Hopefully, I'm wrong. They have both given me much to cheer.

Last edited:
Youd think the six of them and the rest will be aiming for a huge year, and if that comes off, the hunger may be totally satisfied

Some serious shopping to be done if the majority of them retire next year, just to use up the salary caps space

Remove this Banner Ad

Back