MRP / Trib. Week 2 vs Geelong - Ballantyne 2 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Stop going for the ball? Why would he do that? His arm went out looking for the ball? He didn't make it. Tucked his shoulder in and hit Taylors shoulder first then slipped up.

There was absolutely nothing wrong with what he did. Nothing.

No point arguing with him.

I just hope the club challenges it.

because there's nothing wrong with what he did
The MRP disagrees and seeing that they always disagree with the way Freo players conduct themselves the best thing to do is try to stay on the right side of them.

At the end of the day it was accidental, but he did collect him high and Taylor was a bit dazed for a while. Worth 1 week, but because of Ballas' history as a repeat offender they made it 2. It's very annoying but not the worst injustice we've received at the MRP

Sorry I don't normally enjoy getting into people over their comments, but that has to be the most ridiculous statement ever made on BF.

Why? He's 27, had a late start to the season because of injury, is clearly not as fit as it should be, did something stupid again, regardless of our opinion if it was there or not. For me to say to bring in Croz - hope he steps up and keeps ballas out for a while and make him earn his return

The most ridiculous statement ever made on BF?

Go troll some other pages, you'll find better.

At the end of the day it was accidental, but he did collect him high and Taylor was a bit dazed for a while. Worth 1 week, but because of Ballas' history as a repeat offender they made it 2. It's very annoying but not the worst injustice we've received at the MRP

They made it three .

Why? He's 27, had a late start to the season because of injury, is clearly not as fit as it should be, did something stupid again, regardless of our opinion if it was there or not. For me to say to bring in Croz - hope he steps up and keeps ballas out for a while and make him earn his return

BF must be playing up, they initially quoted this post
"Glad we didn't get Taylor, weak as pi$$ the way he went down. Smallest guy on the field. Poor me, ill play on and swing a few punches, then say I was affected to my club doctor so it doesn't look good for his tribunal viewing.

Weak as sh%t."

Well, you can rage against the AFL and their inconsistency and hope they change or Ballantyne can stop doing things that get him cited. Which do you think is more likely?
I don't want Fyfe or Ballas to change the way they attack the contest so I guess we just deal with it. No way I would call something so 'split second' stupid though.

They made it three .

Under the old system he would have carry over points and it would be 225 base points, plus 80 odd carry over points, plus a loading for bad record to be either high 300s or low 400s, so 3 weeks with an early plea.

If it was high 300s we would have challenged it at the tribunal, lost, and been stuck with 3 weeks and 90 odd carry over points. If it was low 400s we would have taken the early plea, so 3 weeks with 50 odd carry over points

I'm not saying this new system is perfect, but it is an improvement

To be fair, him calling your post ridiculous is no more off the mark than you calling Ballas actions stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want Fyfe or Ballas to change the way they attack the contest so I guess we just deal with it. No way I would call something so 'split second' stupid though.
Last year Fyfe said he'd have to change the way he attacked the ball after he was suspended for his bump on Rischetelli.

I don't think Ballantyne should be suspended, but the fact is the MRP and the media are going to scrutinise everything he does. They get off on suspending players like him, and he should know that.

Three weeks is absurd for that hit. But it's up to him to make sure he stays away from scrutiny. He had options. He braced for the bump and went in with the shoulder.

Yeah, making genuine attempt at the ball. Shame on him.

Ballantyne was playing football. Very different to when Johnson hit Mitchell last week ..... if Ballas did that, I'd call it stupid.

When was the last time our legal team successfully appealed an MRP verdict? I hope we don't challenge, will end up getting 3 I have very little doubt.

Is that a problem though?

Take the plea and he misses WCE and Sydney.

Challenge and lose and he only misses Melbourne as well. Which really should be a win anyway. Of course, you probably don't want him to miss too much footy, but it's not really a massive risk. Even if it's a 30% chance we get it somehow down to 1 week i'd think about taking it.

The main problem that still remains with the MRP is they design the punishments on the assumption that someone will take the early plea. Hits that are worth 1 week are graded as being worth 2 weeks, so people will still get a week for the hit. The original punishment is overly harsh, in an attempt to dissuade people from challenging their finding. It leads to situations like this one where a minor hit by a so called "serial offender" is graded at 3 weeks when it should be graded at 1

Corrupt AFL has no shame.

Intentional punch draws half the penalty of an accidental bump where there was no alternative. I guess in Ballantyne played for the Tigers, he'd be walking free.

I do hope we challenge this and not roll over again

I assume you're referring to the two cases from this game, and it doesn't. They effectively amount to the same thing. Balla's is two only because he has the bad record thing.

Carryover points are BS

They don't use carry over points any more, just a 'flat rate' extra week thing - which I think isn't much better. Agenfrida has the right idea, carry over penalty should only apply to certain offences, or be far more mitigating on 'accidental' actions.

Yep. And deliberate, not careless.

The gymnastics they do for a campaigner like Johnson then pull this s**t
Of course they do. He's loveable larrikin Stevie J. Ballantyne is the most hated pest in football.

It's in that context that Ballantyne has to change how he plays. Jonathan Brown went from hotheaded thug with anger management issues to everyone's favourite bogan key forward. The more Ballas does this the more it feeds into justifying these suspensions, and the media and MRP analysing every bit of physical contact he does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back