Weezer

Remove this Banner Ad

I just won 2 tickets from 78 Records for the show tomorrow night.

My wife and her sister are huge fans, so I said they could have them.

My wife just won 2 more tickets from XPress Magazine so we are all going !!!!!

The guy in 78 Records told me that he went to the in store 78 Records gig when he was in grade 7. I told my wife and she got out her signed Blue Album from the same gig !!!!!

Glad everyone enjoyed it – but not at all surprised. I mean, everything was working in their favour. Everyone there had at least a bit of emotional investment in Blue, no one was an a-hole, and it was just a full on nostalgia trip and experience. I don't know anyone who went to the Perth or Melbourne shows and didn't say it was one of their favourite ever gigs.

At the same time... I'm not sure I'd want to see them again. Nothing could better it. And I like the idea of having the last Weezer song I heard live being Only in Dreams.

good show in perth, yeah:thumbsu:
tbh though i would of prefered a career spanning set instead of hearing the blue album in full. it was good but they have so many good album cuts that could of been played. still pretty great though..

el scorcho got the best reaction and was by far the best song live.
perfect situation and world has turned were my other favs on the night. no real suprises for perth. no angel and the one:(

i doubt they will visit again so it was great to finally see them

I just won 2 tickets from 78 Records for the show tomorrow night.

My wife and her sister are huge fans, so I said they could have them.

My wife just won 2 more tickets from XPress Magazine so we are all going !!!!!

The guy in 78 Records told me that he went to the in store 78 Records gig when he was in grade 7. I told my wife and she got out her signed Blue Album from the same gig !!!!!

Sorry but I call bullshit. There were no kids there that day because they only let certain people upstairs. to see them in 1996 Great gig on Wednesday, everyone went away happy and that's a rare thing. That's also the 4th time i've seen them and never seen Rivers Coumo so animated.

Sorry but I call bullshit. There were no kids there that day because they only let certain people upstairs. to see them in 1996 Great gig on Wednesday, everyone went away happy and that's a rare thing. That's also the 4th time i've seen them and never seen Rivers Coumo so animated.

Not only was my wife at the 78 Records gig, but her 13 year old sister and her 2, 13 year old friends. Also, my mate's wife who would have been around 13 was also there, so although I was not there I tend to believe that some kids were allowed.

new lp has leaked. first impression is.. easily the most cohesive since GREEN front to back. the melodies have that instant ear worm ability of green. musicaly it grows from the complexity of RED. Some of these guitar solo's are the best ever in the =w= cannon. you can really tell alot of time and heart went into this one

Even two years ago I would've downloaded these as soon as it leaked. Weezer are just too terrible these days to even get excited about. The best result for Weezer would be a boring, safe, unadventurous album (aka Green). They just suck. Seeing them live was the death knell of my once intense fandom and adoration, too. That and turning 18 and realising I wasn't the man Rivers Cuomo is

new lp has leaked. first impression is.. easily the most cohesive since GREEN front to back. the melodies have that instant ear worm ability of green. musicaly it grows from the complexity of RED. Some of these guitar solo's are the best ever in the =w= cannon. you can really tell alot of time and heart went into this one

So now it's gone in to Oasis territory. Every time a new album came out there was the 'It's their best since Morning Glory!' but replace MG with the Pinkerton or the Green Album. The people that make these claims know deep down it's nowhere near the best since whenever. They know they're gone and those great years aren't coming back. They know they're in denial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If people are trying to use Green comparatively as a barometer of a good album, then the band really is cooked. Green is probably the most sterile album I'll ever hear

Even two years ago I would've downloaded these as soon as it leaked. Weezer are just too terrible these days to even get excited about. The best result for Weezer would be a boring, safe, unadventurous album (aka Green). They just suck. Seeing them live was the death knell of my once intense fandom and adoration, too. That and turning 18 and realising I wasn't the man Rivers Cuomo is

Seeing them live was one of the greatest nights of my life.

They've literally been going boring and safe for a 15 years. The Red Album was a long way from "good" but at least it was adventurous. A boring, safe, unadventurous album for this would be worst case scenario. They need to swing for the fences.

Hurley and Raditude were alarmingly terrible and I haven't listened to Death to False Metal again since my first listen through and I never will.

So now it's gone in to Oasis territory. Every time a new album came out there was the 'It's their best since Morning Glory!' but replace MG with the Pinkerton or the Green Album. The people that make these claims know deep down it's nowhere near the best since whenever. They know they're gone and those great years aren't coming back. They know they're in denial.

Maladroit and the Red album were both better than the Green album. No album in the history of recorded music is better than Pinkerton or Blue.

If people are trying to use Green comparatively as a barometer of a good album, then the band really is cooked. Green is probably the most sterile album I'll ever hear

Agree, it's their 5th best album and probably has the least amount of interesting tracks. A Green album equivalent would be better than the last couple of albums but would still be really disappointing.

i'm comparing it to green with its earworm like melodies. green is far from my fav but it does have that going for it.
musically this is miles ahead. i think this will surprise alot of people who jumped of after make believe.

Okay, so i've listened to it about 10 times.

It's absolutely without question better than Raditude, Hurley and Make Believe. That much was obvious on first listen. It's not even up for discussion.

There are no We Are All On Drugs/Smart Girls/Love is the Answer/Songs not sung by Rivers from Red style catastrophic failures. That said, it probably doesn't have the high points of creativity that we heard on Red either.

It probably falls in the Maladroit category for me. Not as good as Blue or Pinkerton but some really good tracks and a really solid album all the way through. It's more substantial than the Green album in terms of creativity and probably just as consistent.

If you're an old fan that has stopped buying Weezer music, I can at least promise you that this is better than Raditude or Hurley, and quite significantly so.

I really like the production so far (unsurprisingly) but it's just a little bland. Pork and Beans was amazing, it was the kind of power of their 90s stuff and some experimentation, but a lot of this just sounds cardboard. Which is a lot better than the absolute embarrassment of Make Believe, Hurley, and Raditude, and I guess the songs are more varied and distinguishable than what's on Green, and it's a little less of a slug than Maladroit. Sits on that tier so far.

I really like the production so far (unsurprisingly) but it's just a little bland. Pork and Beans was amazing, it was the kind of power of their 90s stuff and some experimentation, but a lot of this just sounds cardboard. Which is a lot better than the absolute embarrassment of Make Believe, Hurley, and Raditude, and I guess the songs are more varied and distinguishable than what's on Green, and it's a little less of a slug than Maladroit. Sits on that tier so far.

Yeah, the Red album is all over the place. I really don't know where to rank it compared to other Weezer albums. The first half is up there with some of their very best stuff. It was great to see Rivers genuinely let loose and just go nuts with songs like The Greatest Man That Ever Lived and Dreamin', but half way through the album it completely changes gears with the songs sung by the other guys and it's terrible. It left me feeling so unsatisfied. I feel like if they got rid of those last 4 tracks and replaced them with B sides from the red album, it could be a clear 3rd overall.

This definitely doesn't hit the heights of the Red album in terms of creativity, but it's not all the way back to the filler of the Green album either.
I agree with your rating.

Angel and the One is probably the best Weezer song since the 90s. Amazing.

I've only given this LP one listen, but the last few songs on this one sound like a bunch of My Chemical Romance closers. I really, really like Da Vinci though

Angel and the One is probably the best Weezer song since the 90s. Amazing.

I've only given this LP one listen, but the last few songs on this one sound like a bunch of My Chemical Romance closers. I really, really like Da Vinci though

I would listen to the Angel and the One a lot more if it wasn't caught behind 3 tracks that I don't identify as Weezer songs.

My favourite songs are probably Da Vinci and Go Away, but that has changed several times since I started listening to it. Solid all the way through.

"Actually good" and "Best since Maladroit" sound about right to me :)

Good review overall. He's dead on that Weezer fans expect a lot, as if we deserve some sort of giant payoff for sticking with them through Raditude and Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back