Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

BrockBlitz

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Cool, I was going to go there once, I didn't even take notice of your profile, and you're from Adelaide. Come and have a drink with me at the footy this season we can talk weights and progress, I go on my own so I get bored as **** sometimes.

Brilliant.

I only have standing tickets I must admit, it was all sold out by the time I got my act together.

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
you did 24 reps for your max reps set last week?
Yes but like I said I have dropped about 40kg from my estimated 1RM to work on form.
your assistance is exactly - lifts to assist lifting bigger numbers i the main lifts...you shouldn't be overly drained from these sessions...it's about volume and submaximal lifting...your only maximal lifting is the as many reps as you can sets for each lift each week...otherwise you;re getting all the reps with 1 - 2 reps left in the tank

if you can't eat 6 meals (which isn't essential) then eat more at what meals you do have, especially pre workout
Well I know my meal plan isn't perfect but it's the best I can do with a busy schedule.
Here is my weekday work/food roster..

5:30 - Wake up
6:00 - Gym
6:45 - Leave gym
7:00 - Protein Shake and start work
9:30 - Smoko, tuna and biscuits
12:00 - Lunch, hearty meal like a stew/goulash ect with rice
2:30 - 2 pieces of fruit
6:00 - Dinner, Meat and veg (something clean)
10:00 - Bed

Sometimes I feel hungry by 9:30 but most the time I'm pretty good, I just don't have time to make a big breakfest (can't at work).

HirdyLannister

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2013
Cersei's bed
AFL Club
Essendon
Well i was doing 1RM DL at 120kg but I dropped it to 80kg, wanted to work on higher reps instead of 1RM for this program. Since I've been tweaking the small things with form I'm feeling more exhausted with higher reps than I did previously the old way.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
i don't know why you'd want to work at such high reps foe the deadlift...it's a low rep movement because of its technique requirements...if you want to work on technique then drop the load 10 - 20% but still do low reps and more sets...you can only learn technique when you're fresh

Who here knows their grip strength for each hand?

When I went through my training as part of my job, I was required to test the strength of my grip in both hands. I did this four times in seven months. Each time the grip in my right hand ranged from 55-63, and in my left hand it ranged from 42-49. My left hand has always been weaker due to breaking my radius and ulna in my arm when I was 12.

To further test this theory, I have been going for 1km walks with a set of 15kg dumbells. It's only a normal walking pace. The last two times I have done this, each time I have had a 30 second break 10 times. The annoying thing is the grip in my left hand gives way well before the grip in my right hand has a chance to loosen. If I had equal grip strengths, I would be fairly confident of only needing to break 5-6 times instead of ten.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve my left hand grip strength, or is it basically screwed now? I have never regained 100% flexibility in that arm since breaking it. I would love to hear advice from anyone who has a similar experience.

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

When I went through my training as part of my job, I was required to test the strength of my grip in both hands. I did this four times in seven months. Each time the grip in my right hand ranged from 55-63, and in my left hand it ranged from 42-49. My left hand has always been weaker due to breaking my radius and ulna in my arm when I was 12.

To further test this theory, I have been going for 1km walks with a set of 15kg dumbells. It's only a normal walking pace. The last two times I have done this, each time I have had a 30 second break 10 times. The annoying thing is the grip in my left hand gives way well before the grip in my right hand has a chance to loosen. If I had equal grip strengths, I would be fairly confident of only needing to break 5-6 times instead of ten.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can improve my left hand grip strength, or is it basically screwed now? I have never regained 100% flexibility in that arm since breaking it. I would love to hear advice from anyone who has a similar experience.

My right side is stronger than my left as well and I've been using hand grippers to improve the strength in my left and right hands. You can buy them from k mart for around $3. There is still an imbalance, but at least it's diminishing.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
you've got to strengthen the hand as well as the grip so there's holding strength (what you're doing now) and pinching/finger strength where you'd do plate or hex dumbbell holds

also what you're training for endurance which is the total opposite of strength...drop your sets to 30secs for max load

you've got to strengthen the hand as well as the grip so there's holding strength (what you're doing now) and pinching/finger strength where you'd do plate or hex dumbbell holds

also what you're training for endurance which is the total opposite of strength...drop your sets to 30secs for max load
Yeah, good point. Cheers

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
cptkirk I've found this Smolov incredibly difficult, mostly due to the final day being rest free, and also its hard in a normal life to consistently work out like that. Something always gets in the way. If I make it through this week with a good effort I'll go another week, If I fail for the second time I'll can it.

I'm going to move onto something different with a few goals in mind. Increase top strength in bench, imcrease strength in back, and size/strength in biceps/triceps.

How would I structure a 12 week cycle:

Weeks 1:4
Monday:
High rack press (3")
Close grip bench sets of 3 or 5? what %1rm
Pullups/Chinups reps?
squats

Wednesday:
Bench reps/sets?
Chinese rows, chest supported rows

Friday:
Biceps (what do do for size AND strength) and can I do this twice a week, or will I get that from the chins on day 1?
Triceps
Deadlifts

Weeks 5-8
Rack press (5")

Weeks 9-12
Rack press (7-8")

This is an idea of the kind of layout, but what sort of weights would you do for each exercise for each 4 week cycle? Its hard to know how much weight to stack on for a high rack press for example, and what to do for close grip bench, and how to increase those accordingly for following weeks.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
when i did smolov for squats i changed the sets/reps around a bit so each day was similar to the sheiko program you've done a few times...not that i cam remember the exacts but say you have 6 x 3 @ 80 on 1 day, 8 x 2 @ 87 on day 3 then 10 x 1 @ 92 on day 3 then 6 x 4 @ 75 on day 4 then i did this:

75% = 24 total reps
80% = 18 total reps
87% = 16 total reps
92% = 10 total reps

so i then divided the total reps by 4 and just did the same for each day...did this for probably last 1 - 2 weeks i think for memory when i was really struggling

so each day you'll do:

75% x 6 reps
80% x 4 reps (give or take)
85% x 3 reps (give or take)
92% x 3 reps (give or take)

make sense?

you've come this far so stick with it

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
ok so just looked at the program

day 1 - 36 reps @ 70%
day 3 - 30 reps @ 75%
day 5 - 32 reps @ 80%
day 6 - 30 reps @ 85%

over 4 days it's 9 / 7.5 / 8 / 7.5

so do 5 reps @ 70% + 4 reps @ 75% + 4 @ 80% + 8 @ 85% + 4 @ 80 + 3 @ 75 + 4 @ 70

over 5 days it's 7.2 / 6 / 6.4 / 6

so do 4 @ 70 + 4 @ 75 + 4 @ 80 + 6 @ 85 + 2 @ 80 + 2 @ 75 + 3 @ 75

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
cptkirk I'm confused. I'm into day two in the morning of the Smolov cycle so I was going to see if I can nail it this week. If not are you suggesting I tackle this workout you posted the following week?

Personally I've had enough of the bench dedication. Its time to incorporate more muscle groups. Hence why I posted my possible suggestion earlier.

Jul 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong

I train grip strength with towel pull ups, plate pinching, grippers (captains of crush) & farmers walks. The grippers are an easy way to train one hand.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I train grip strength with towel pull ups, plate pinching, grippers (captains of crush) & farmers walks. The grippers are an easy way to train one hand.
I use the captains of crush, I can easily close the 1 and 1.5 3-5 times with a 3 second rest on the right hand, can't get close on the left hand.

I need to find a way of building my strength toward the COC#2.

Back