Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Work in the 4-6 rep range for and as soon as you hit 6 reps up the weight. Many sites will tell you 8-12 reps is best for hypertrophy but this is not (necessarily) the case.

I'm really liking Mike's advice from this site http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-build-a-workout-routine/

Then again there's this site which says constant tension is the key to hypertrophy http://www.musclecamptv.com/welcome?from=optin&&vtid=youtube&internal_vtid=youtube which I'm inclined to agree as who have probably the best upper bodies in the world? Gymnasts.

This site has some of the most scientifically sound advice on the net http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/

Also check out AthleanX on YouTube

Agreed - I'm a big advocate of going into some pure strength training for a while if you've stagnated - 5x5 (4-5min breaks) for the big lifts, 5/3/1, etc

Big weights = big boys

Work in the 4-6 rep range for and as soon as you hit 6 reps up the weight. Many sites will tell you 8-12 reps is best for hypertrophy but this is not (necessarily) the case.

I'm really liking Mike's advice from this site http://www.muscleforlife.com/how-to-build-a-workout-routine/

Then again there's this site which says constant tension is the key to hypertrophy http://www.musclecamptv.com/welcome?from=optin&&vtid=youtube&internal_vtid=youtube which I'm inclined to agree as who have probably the best upper bodies in the world? Gymnasts.

This site has some of the most scientifically sound advice on the net http://bayesianbodybuilding.com/

Also check out AthleanX on YouTube

Thanks so much mate - specific help is great for guys like me. Will try lower reps and higher weights for a while to mix things up.

if what you've done has run its course then do the "opposite" so full body or lower/u[pper body workoutswith a spread of rep ranges

Going back a way but thanks for your advice - I hoped you'd respond as I have seen over the years how active and knowledgable you have been on here. Is it easy enough to sufficiently work your muscles if you are trying to do your entire body (or upper/lower) in about an hour? (this is as long as I get in the gym most days as I work long hours). Also, if its not too much trouble, can you suggest a few must do exercises (and good rep ranges) for a half body workout given what I was doing (all the major compounds I'm guessing - sqauts, military press, chin up, bench, deadlifts?).

Finally, at the moment my schedule means that sometimes I will have a run of 3-4 days where I can't get to the gym - how much do you reckon this will thwart my progress - right now I'm guessing a lot given I have been doing single muscle group per day so sometimes some parts get left for nearly two weeks at a time.

Thanks again for your advice.

Going back a way but thanks for your advice - I hoped you'd respond as I have seen over the years how active and knowledgable you have been on here. Is it easy enough to sufficiently work your muscles if you are trying to do your entire body (or upper/lower) in about an hour? (this is as long as I get in the gym most days as I work long hours). Also, if its not too much trouble, can you suggest a few must do exercises (and good rep ranges) for a half body workout given what I was doing (all the major compounds I'm guessing - sqauts, military press, chin up, bench, deadlifts?).

Finally, at the moment my schedule means that sometimes I will have a run of 3-4 days where I can't get to the gym - how much do you reckon this will thwart my progress - right now I'm guessing a lot given I have been doing single muscle group per day so sometimes some parts get left for nearly two weeks at a time.

Thanks again for your advice.

when doing full body workouts it doesn't mean that you need to do an exercise for every part of the body, that's not the point of them...it just means you'll be efficient with the exercises you choose to do and some hit some muscles directly while hitting others directly each workout

so realistically you could get away with doing only bulgarian split squats (glutes, hams, quads), bench presses (pecs, delts, tir's) and chin ups (back, bi's) for 1 workout making it a long 60mins if you're just doing them - don't get married to 1hr sessions

doing something like that gives you extra time to do some sprints or cardio in the same workout

alternatively you could do something like deadlifts (glutes, hams, lats), military press (delts, tri's and rows (mid back, bi's) that hits most of the body then do another one that hits the remaining area's you missed (chest, quads in this example) the next workout while covering some of the same area's again...there's a bazillion ways to do it

if you can foresee a run of 3 - 4 days that you'll be out of the gym then work the same muscles for 2 - 4 days in a row in the lead up to it and then they'll recover with your days off

Yeah I've stolen a few things from that.

Interesting that he doesn't seem to do any military press - guess benching is enough

No chins or squats either?

Looking for a bit of advice regarding weight training. I'm 21, went to the gym on and off for a few years but never maintained the motivation to get any significant results.

Recently shifted to a home gym and currently have all the bare essentials (bench, plates, bars, kettlebell, medicine ball) and simply just looking to gain for strength for footy and get a bit of muscle definition.

Any advice on a rough program or anything at all would be appreciated. Would getting in a personal trainer to set up a program using my equipment be beneficial or a waste of money/time?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

W
Looking for a bit of advice regarding weight training. I'm 21, went to the gym on and off for a few years but never maintained the motivation to get any significant results.

Recently shifted to a home gym and currently have all the bare essentials (bench, plates, bars, kettlebell, medicine ball) and simply just looking to gain for strength for footy and get a bit of muscle definition.

Any advice on a rough program or anything at all would be appreciated. Would getting in a personal trainer to set up a program using my equipment be beneficial or a waste of money/time?

Waste of time and money, unless you have a mate who is a PT or regular gym goer to help you out for free. Plenty of advice on here and the web, just need to do a bit of reading.

My tip would be to start of with a basic full body work out 3 times a week. Bodybuilding.com will have plenty of programs you can adapt to suit your equipment.

why would a bodybuilding.com program be any better then something a pt could put together? don't lump all pt's in as s**t one's

Agreed not all PTs are s**t, in fact I didn't even say they are s**t, more so the fact you can put a program together yourself with a bit of reading without paying a PT.

Last edited:
Wish my PWO would hurry up and arrive, it's leg day today and I'm already mentally failing just thinking about it :(

Oh and does anyone else use that hexagonal bar thing you attach the weights onto and stand in the middle instead of classic straight bar dead lift?

Does wonders for your technique :)

So, squats went a little something like this today:

40kg x 10 (warm up)
60kg x 10 (warm up)
80kg x 7
80kg x 5
85kg x 3
87.5kg x 1
85kg x 3
80kg x 5
60kg x 12 (super ATG)

Felt sick like a pussy after that, did some light traps work and went home. Haha. Oh well at least I got me squats in.

Found this interesting article on T Nation about doing 10 sets of 3 reps for the compounds. It might be 10 years old but good advice is timeless.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/science-of-10-x-3

But the most neglected aspect of hypertrophy/strength training is a lack of speed with the concentric muscle action (lifting the load). You must attempt to lift the load as fast as possible, even if the speed isn't super-fast due to the large load that must be utilized.

Three lines of separation in my left delt

giphy.gif

image.jpg

Taken a few weeks ago

Sorry about blur

As you can see, I'm not really a hard gainer

Cutting hasn't always come easy doe.

Anyways, critique till your fingers bleed

Last edited:
image.jpg

Taken a few weeks ago

Sorry about blur

As you can see, I'm not really a hard gainer

Cutting hasn't always come easy doe.

Anyways, critique till your fingers bleed

I know you said in a recent post you are clean bulking. But what is your main goal, big and strong or get lean?

I always thought I was a hard "loser" of bodyfat, truth be known I just ate too much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back