1. Tipping 2014 Winners

Third place: Chopper69 ( $150 + Platinum)
    Second place: scottsdale pies ($350 + Platinum)
    First place: muttley45 on 150 points ($500 + Platinum)

A special mention goes to BIG DADDY, Fabregas, Reardo and Woodie99 who tied for 4th place on 146 points!

See you in 2015! BigFooty's Draft Tipping 2014 will be announced in a timely manner.

Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by cptkirk, Sep 22, 2011.

Put it out there
  1. lysp

lysp All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    You should always train every part of your body regardless. All your muscles counter-act each other so only half training can cause imbalances in them.

What i think your friend is trying to say is that as you start to train, fat on your body (and legs) will lower and you'll gain some muscle which will in terms of size keep them around the same size. You may find they might even get a little bit smaller if you lose some weight.

In terms of what sets/reps to use, it shouldnt really matter. Just follow whatever program you are doing. Increase weight when you can complete the sets without failing (progressively overload) and don't worry too much about size changes, you wont get anything too noticeable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Hungryhaydo

Hungryhaydo Rookie

Essendon
    Other teams:
    ahh that sounds a bit more like it...

i was gonna say...if i can powerclean 130kg i would be ballin :p

Does anyone here teach proper power clean form..? around the melbourne area..

Looking at you cptkirk...
  3. Capt_Concussion

Capt_Concussion Team Captain

Melbourne
    Other teams:
    We just finished a two month base building/strengthening program and now we're starting to concentrate more on specific muscle groups every session.

I don't have much fat on me. Fat % wise, my mate and I would be roughly the same. I just have large muscular legs which don't seem to have much power in them at the moment

I've read so much about to build power you lift heavier weights with low reps and to build mass you lift lighter weights at more reps and to tone you lift even lower weights at even higher reps. Any of that correct?
  4. cptkirk

cptkirk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    to increase vertical leap it's 2 things only:

1 - get stronger
    2 - drop bodyfat

anyone can do low level plyo's at any stage of their training because sprinting is plyometric and there's some big boys who run around in reserves football...power cleans are decent but i don't class them as the holy grail as they take so long to teach and you can get the same results from easier and safer exercises

getting stronger means increasing your 3 - 5 rep max for back squats in this case
  5. Slattery_20

Slattery_20 Premiership Player

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Finally got squats and deads (regular sets anyway) back over my (tiny) bodyweight. Had about 3 months off gym at the end of last year and it set me back a fair way.
  6. lysp

lysp All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Finally failed on my squats today.

Started again at 3x6x100kg at the end of January. Managed to get up to 122.5 which i repeated last week as i struggled. Tried to give 125 a go today and failed on the 3rd rep (of 5-6). Dropped the weight for 2nd/3rd sets back to 120 and got through it just although was pretty fatigued.

Going to reset it back down to 115 and build my way up again. Might even give smolov a try in 5-6 weeks time.

Also i've been doing a 20 rep set as 4th workset and have got that from 12-14x80kg in Jan to 20x90kg today (still pushed through quite easily even though i failed earlier in workout). I will keep slowly increasing the weight on this set as i don't feel the need to drop this one back.

Quite happy with the progress as i was previously stuck around 100-102 for ages last year.
  7. PoidaCat

PoidaCat Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Andrew Mackie
    Regarding Dumbell and Barbell Bench Press do you guys find that you keep your shoulders retracted even on the push part of the movement?

It makes ense to keep them retracted since when you have heavy weight providing downards resistance you'd want to have a much support to your body/back/shoulders on the bench as possible.

But the squeeze of the chest seems to work against keeping the shoulders retracted.

Maybe I need to address my technique it's why my chest is so poor.
  8. benchwarmer5

benchwarmer5 Team Captain

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Do you guys think it's possible to put on muscle and lose fat at the same time ?

I need to lose about 6kgs of fat but I have increased my food intake so I put on muscle from weight training. It feels weird to be eating more and trying to lose weight but I'm hoping the extra muscle will increase metabolism ect
  9. cptkirk

cptkirk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    you should able to retract and squeeze the pecs at the same time...protracting the scap just rolls your shoulders forwards more, it doesn't give you more squeeze
  10. cptkirk

cptkirk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    it can be done but it will be a very slow process...drop the 6kgs then build muscle
  11. Hungryhaydo

Hungryhaydo Rookie

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Look up recomping bro...

Its a good way to do just that...but like @cptkirk said...its a long process.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. RED ONE

RED ONE Est. 1870

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Anyone know of any good gyms in the Melbourne CBD? I'm heading there for the weekend so I want to get a few workouts done while I'm there.
  13. cptkirk

cptkirk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    doherty's if you wanna lift big i'd suggest
  14. RED ONE

RED ONE Est. 1870

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Yeh I was thinking dohertys. Might send the missus off to a fitness first while I'm there :)
  15. ThePezDispenser

ThePezDispenser BFSC Platinum

North Melbourne
    Other teams:
    LeBron James, Phil Heath
    A week a Doherty's will cost you a bit.. Pretty sure I saw a sign saying $15 visits.. Insane amount of money for one workout!
  16. cptkirk

cptkirk Team Captain

Sydney
    Other teams:
    pm me what you need to get dine and maybe you could do it my studio if i have everything
  17. RED ONE

RED ONE Est. 1870

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Just need some free weights mate. All good though, I don't wanto to put you out.
    Ohh and to make this post complete. Heres something that should answer most of the upcoming questions about weight training.
    [youtube]Q6rSrFpl-wE&feature=related[/youtube]
  18. lysp

lysp All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Reached another goal today.

BP using 50kg DB's (highest my gym has). Got 4 reps out and then dropped back to 47's for the last 2 sets (hitting 6 + 5 reps).

Only issue i had was balancing them on my knees as the shape of the plates are more vertical and less flat than the 47's so they were wobbling around everywhere.

Off to the physio tomorrow to check out my arm/elbow issue. I suspect he's going to tell me to stop pressing for a week or two, so glad i got this goal knocked off today.
  19. Syphoncom

Syphoncom Team Captain

Collingwood
    Other teams:
    Arsenal
    Monster. Well done.
  20. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Williamstown Seagulls
    Awesome numbers cfol :thumbsu:
  21. Kong

Kong User of non-performance enhancing PEDS

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Good stuff.

Personally I find lifting heavy dumbbells a lot more satisfying than heavy bench.
    chargers 09 likes this.
  22. lysp

lysp All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    I'm just glad my gym is a "fitness club" and doesn't go up to 60kg dbs.

Although some places only go up to 40's..
  23. Hungryhaydo

Hungryhaydo Rookie

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Nope, it's $10 casual...

Much much better than $22 for a finance first..oops I mean fitness first gym..
  24. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other teams:
    Williamstown Seagulls
    My gym only goes to 32.5kgs. Freaking annoying for bench.

They're building a new cardio wing, hopefully they shift some equipment and buy more weights
  25. RED ONE

RED ONE Est. 1870

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Yeah $10 or even $15 is very cheap. I checked out the platinum Fittness First last time I was in Melbourne it was $35 for a casual visit.