Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Yes, but you missed my point. The whole thing is that people taking it, run flat when the body gets used to the dosage, and you can no longer increase the dosage. If I was going to use it, like I said, I'd use it once a cycle, when I wanted to max the smash out my sets.

I don't see it any different to having a strong coffee before training except I get much better pumps from the pre workouts.... They were a lot more effective when DMAA was still legal ;)

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I don't see it any different to having a strong coffee before training except I get much better pumps from the pre workouts.... They were a lot more effective when DMAA was still legal ;)
Well I was following the Story on AFL and Caffeine, and medical information suggested that the benefits of caffeine are reduced as the body gets used to it. Hence why Ben Cousins had that problem. They start dosing small and go heavier each time. I've also spoken to a number of people who hit the flats after a month or two on pre-workout stuff. Its like anything, if you use something to get a high, you reach a plateau. You either need to come back down, or increase the dosage. The sensible thing to do is to use pre workouts periodically, so you're not on a higher level plateau.
As great as it sounds, if you had everything you ever wanted, all the money in the world, all the women, everything. Where can you go from there? Building towards something is always the key.

Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings
I still don't understand the hype around pre workout drinks. I know a few guys that are on this stuff, and from what I know its just loaded with a shitload of caffeine. From what I understand Caffeine provides minimal benefit for lifting sessions, but more beneficial for endurance type work. Furthermore your body adapts to the levels of caffeine, and each workout requires more caffeine, until the point you can't take anymore in.

I've seen guys taking this gear, fall flat after a month. I could understand if you intended to take it once a cycle to push yourself to the limit on a blasting session, but not regularly. I think Ben Cousins fell victim to this when he was playing, he ended up overloading on caffeine.

I used to be just as sceptical re: pre-workout stuff, until I tried this stuff:

Vitalstrength-1600-nitroxl-pre-workout.png

Have genuinely been lifting heavier and feeling so much more motivated and focussed during workouts since using it. 160mg of caffiene per serving, according to the nutritional information. I previously dismissed pre-workout supps as unnecessary sugary crap, but now I believe.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I used to be just as sceptical re: pre-workout stuff, until I tried this stuff:

Vitalstrength-1600-nitroxl-pre-workout.png

Have genuinely been lifting heavier and feeling so much more motivated and focussed during workouts since using it. 160mg of caffiene per serving, according to the nutritional information. I previously dismissed pre-workout supps as unnecessary sugary crap, but now I believe.
Like I said, I've spoken to a number of people who all experience flat periods after a month or two of pre workout. I'm quite content with taking things nice and steady. I've got all the time in the world :p

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Like I said, I've spoken to a number of people who all experience flat periods after a month or two of pre workout. I'm quite content with taking things nice and steady. I've got all the time in the world :p

Eh, see how I go I suppose. Have only been using it for like a month.

Might be in some people's interests to use this sort of stuff in cycles if they find it gets to a point where it doesn't work for them. Everyone's different though.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Eh, see how I go I suppose. Have only been using it for like a month.

Might be in some people's interests to use this sort of stuff in cycles if they find it gets to a point where it doesn't work for them. Everyone's different though.
Yeah, I kinda got to a point a few weeks ago where I realized, I'm not getting any younger, and trying to lift heavier and heavier is not the smartest idea. I've capped my lower body lifts, and just focusing on being fit and healthy.

Jun 23, 2008
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Yeah, I kinda got to a point a few weeks ago where I realized, I'm not getting any younger, and trying to lift heavier and heavier is not the smartest idea. I've capped my lower body lifts, and just focusing on being fit and healthy.

Yeah I think there's definitely a point where enough is enough, unless you're actually a bodybuilder or some sort of strength athlete.

I'm still fairly new to lifting, despite being in my mid-20s. I've done years of reading on bodybuilding, and probably should have gotten into it around 8-10 years ago, but I never really bothered (and never had one of those typical rake teenage bodies that really needed it), and just stuck with my chosen sports (basketball, 400m and high jump) instead. I think being a bit older helps me to take the ego out of it, but I still feel kind of inadequate being 6'4" and 120kg and already looking pretty "built", but then only bench-pressing 16kg dumbbells for 4x12 :p

Jul 25, 2010
AFL Club
Geelong
Lower back is really aching today after squats, with sharp pain if I move too quickly.

Most people say sit "back" into a squat, don't let your knees go past your toes etc. The fear is that squats will damage the knees. Well, my knees are really tough. When I put my weight there, I have no issues. When I sit back into "conventional" technique, my back usually has problems. I came across this:

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

I'm pretty convinced that knees behind toes is bullshit. Especially if you have longish femurs! Unless I'm lifting a huge amount, I'd rather put pressure on my knees than back/hips.

Last edited:

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Lower back is really aching today after squats, with sharp pain if I move too quickly.

Most people say sit "back" into a squat, don't let your knees go past your toes etc. The fear is that squats will damage the knees. Well, my knees are really tough. When I put my weight there, I have no issues. When I sit back into "conventional" technique, my back usually has problems. I came across this:

http://www.biomechfit.com/2012/02/09/3-squatting-myths-that-refuse-to-die

I'm pretty convinced that knees behind toes is bullshit. Especially if you have longish femurs! Unless I'm lifting a huge amount, I'd rather put pressure on my knees than back/hips.

you've got some mobility problems somewhere (ankles, hips and/or thoracic spine) but the knees and toes thing is beyond silly and basically tries to for a square peg in a round hole for everyone who walks this earth

if knees over or behind toes hurts or doesn't allow correct technique then try the other way

here's a vid of my squat w/ knees going over but, my back is neutral an d my feet stay flat so we're all good:

Well I was following the Story on AFL and Caffeine, and medical information suggested that the benefits of caffeine are reduced as the body gets used to it. Hence why Ben Cousins had that problem. They start dosing small and go heavier each time. I've also spoken to a number of people who hit the flats after a month or two on pre-workout stuff. Its like anything, if you use something to get a high, you reach a plateau. You either need to come back down, or increase the dosage. The sensible thing to do is to use pre workouts periodically, so you're not on a higher level plateau.
As great as it sounds, if you had everything you ever wanted, all the money in the world, all the women, everything. Where can you go from there? Building towards something is always the key.

So what about stim free pre workouts? Do you believe they have no purpose either?
I agree that you can (and will) achieve results without pre workouts but IMO a lot of them are still worth their money. Dismissing them all is like saying that you don't need protein powder. Yes, you can still get your requirements from food sources but supplementing still has its place.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
i think he's saying save the stim for personal best workouts, not all of them othrwise the effect is next to nothing and where do you go for stim after that?

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So what about stim free pre workouts? Do you believe they have no purpose either?
I agree that you can (and will) achieve results without pre workouts but IMO a lot of them are still worth their money. Dismissing them all is like saying that you don't need protein powder. Yes, you can still get your requirements from food sources but supplementing still has its place.
Again I've been misread!!! If you want to get benefit from pre workouts, you can't have them every day. Think about doing your max workout every session. Working 100%, sooner or later your body is going to either fail, or its going to reach a plateau and you're going to fail to make progress. Life in general follows a pattern of peaks and troughs. I'd rather sit in a trough, knowing there's somewhere to go, than to sit at a plateaued peak, with nowhere to go. Any surprises that so many celebrities suffer drug problems?

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Does the body adapt to beta analine, argnine, citruline malate and all the other stuff in pre workouts (honest question)?
I'm not saying to have it everyday but many of the ingredients in a good pre-workout aren't there simply to give you energy.
I'm not a sports scientist, so I'm not really sure. I think its important to build to something though. Start out with none, and build up dosage through your program, then go back to none.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Cheers for the help mate. At the moment time is a little bit of an issue, I work full time and have 2 young kids so it's usually 7:30 or 8pm by the time I can get started. With the stuff I have at home I've just got a bench and some dumbells squashed in garage so space is also a bit of an issue, so apart from bench press I'm using dumbells for everything else, I've got a chin up bar so before I got back into weights I was doing basically full body weight routines but I found I wasn't really getting the results I was after so I got back into the weights, which worked well for me in the past. I think I might pull it back to 3 sets per exercise, 3 times a week and throw in some push ups, chins etc at the end and see how it goes.

No worries, i see i didn't realise you are working out in a home gym (nothing wrong with that) so you have limits with the amount of exercises. I will say don't chop and change to much with routines as you will never know what works for you, experiment a little with what you do. But bodyweight exercises will definitely help, if you want read up on this guys website;

http://jasonferruggia.com/

He is very big on bodyweight training and has some good ebooks that aren't to pricey at all.

Personally i have found the "one thing" that works is consistency, even a a crappy program (within reason) done consistently will yield results.

Starting a new program this week after a week+ of holiday, supersetting all exercises on same bodypart - certainly makes the workout more efficient.

Could be a time saver, although backing off the weight a little to start with.

Back