Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I had a 20kg dumbell in each hand. But I regret not starting of easy. They're killers

FFS i won't be doing 20kg dumbells ;) Might give the 30kg barbell behind the back a go.

How did you do them with dumbells?

FFS i won't be doing 20kg dumbells ;) Might give the 30kg barbell behind the back a go.

How did you do them with dumbells?
Ha alright. Dumbells are a lot more convenient with doing lunges because you hold them at the side and they counter weight, so it's straight down and up and not swaying with a barbell up high (see vid below). Maybe just go with 2x10kgs or 2x15kgs because trust me these cause pain.

Ha alright. Dumbells are a lot more convenient with doing lunges because you hold them at the side and they counter weight, so it's straight down and up and not swaying with a barbell up high (see vid below). Maybe just go with 2x10kgs or 2x15kgs because trust me these cause pain.

Ahhh too easy. I'll give them a go with 12's I think. My balance is s**t so the barbell might have to wait

I like them, one of the better leg movements I can do. I was up to 85kg at last work out... my butt hurts for days after!

cptkrk, what is the major issue if you have a tendancy to lean slightly forward if doing weighted lunges/single leg squats?
I tend to do this towards the end of a set which means I cut the sets back to ensure form, which of course means less volume.

where does it originate - the lead knee or torso do you think?

and where is the load placed during these exercises?

where does it originate - the lead knee or torso do you think?

and where is the load placed during these exercises?
Torso - been noted when I asked to check form, a definate lean forward in the torso. PTs advised to keep torso as upright as possible.

Weight is held in each hand via dumbells

core weakness but it might be the placement of the load - try 1 db held in front or bb on shoulders (front or back)

or lighten the load

but could be weak something else (glutes) that shifts you forward and presents at the torso

can you get a video up?

Bit hard to get a video up, but I'll try the other techniques you've suggested.

I have actually lightened the load quite a bit to keep the torso upright, to the point where is just supplements other leg exercises

105 chins this morning - changed second set from 10 to 15, amazing how much it made every set afterwards that bit harder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are walking lunges vastly superior to doing them on the spot? I do them on the spot just so I don't get in other people's way.

they train different qualities

walking lunges you travle forward the whole time so there's a deceleration component to stop you from smashing your knee into the floor

dynamic lunges is a step up from walking lunges as they both have a deceleration component but you need to push back on these so it's adds in an acceleration component

either are fine but definitely space dependant

I used to use dumbbells for walking lunges as well, but was sick of making sure the wrist was perfectly straight whilst also keeping my balance. Am using 8/10 kg kettle weights - depends how much I need to walk the next day. :p I'm find it easier to just focus on balance and core instead of worrying about my wrist moving around.

Bit off topic but looking to swim laps for something different, would bike short skins be appropriate attire?
Compared to nudity, absolutely :p

You don't have budgie smugglers? UnAustralian...

Well that was the next option. Might go with the skins, think they should do the job.

Why not pick yourself up a pair of these speedos? Has the modesty you want and is also great quality. Mine have lasted 10+ years. I imagine skins would be uncomfortable when wet.

uqa7u3y5.jpg

Cheers vonn. Undecided, the budgie smugglers may enhance my iliac furrow too, so undecided which way to go. :thumbsu:

Well, if it helps, the ocean is ******* cold in winter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back