Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

They may be a little too cold! Given you do warm up pretty quickly after doing laps, but something to consider for when you get in/out.

Does anyone use an iphone app to track their weight lifting? If so, suggestions??

I've just completed the 40 Day challenge for the second time, and hit a new bench pb of 86 X 5.
Bench should be 100 now, I'm not going to test yet though.

I'm about to start a new bench cycle Which is basically a single rep day with sets of 3 X 5 and 5 X 3 alternating, but more of the 3 rep sets. This will be on Saturday. Then on Monday a light bench day.

Question is. If I do complimentary exercises on Saturday, such as back exercises. How many sets/reps and at what intensity should I work to?

On Wednesday, will it be ok to blast the bi's and tris hard, or will this be detrimental to the bench.

I've just completed the 40 Day challenge for the second time, and hit a new bench pb of 86 X 5.
Bench should be 100 now, I'm not going to test yet though.

I'm about to start a new bench cycle Which is basically a single rep day with sets of 3 X 5 and 5 X 3 alternating, but more of the 3 rep sets. This will be on Saturday. Then on Monday a light bench day.

Question is. If I do complimentary exercises on Saturday, such as back exercises. How many sets/reps and at what intensity should I work to?

On Wednesday, will it be ok to blast the bi's and tris hard, or will this be detrimental to the bench.

train delts/tri's on bench days, not separate days - you want the recovery from what you've just done

on heavy bench day do 1 exercise for each for higher reps

on light bench day I'd suggest doing 1 exercise for your bench press weak point (off chest or lockout) then again 1 other exercise for tri's/delts for higher reps

it would make more sense to train every 3 or 4 days rather 2 out of 3 then have 4 days off but do what the program says

for other muscles train them to about an 8 out of 10 effort level - hit therm with just enough volume and intensity that you feel good about it then go home...the focus is bench press so keep it on that

so the order of the week will be bench + tris + delts / off / bench + delts + tri's / off / legs + back / off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 weeks. My only goal atm is to increase bench. I don't really care about anything else right now.

It's all good and well to want to increase one muscle group but you may find you develop shoulder issues if you over develop your chest. The shoulder is pretty much balanced between the chest and back muscles, developing one more than the other will pull it out of alignment and you'll go backwards as you'll be injured.

It's all good and well to want to increase one muscle group but you may find you develop shoulder issues if you over develop your chest. The shoulder is pretty much balanced between the chest and back muscles, developing one more than the other will pull it out of alignment and you'll go backwards as you'll be injured.

You may have misread my post. I've already finished a 12-14ish week cycle of Bench and back exercises such as rows.

The new one I start will also be including those same exercises. Hence why I asked how many sets and reps for those exercises.

But it will be basically bench and rows etc. That should be fine. Its a push and a pull.

The non 'lift as heavy as possible' goals I can relate to. I have hit 40 (last year), I want to be stronger, but also put on some mass. I respect those into Powerlifting and the massive weights they can lift, but it's not something I'm interested in doing. If I can get to 100kg for the bench press, 120kg for Front squat and 200kg for hip thrusts I'll be happy. It'd put me in stronger than most my age which is a goal.

Adding on some mass so I don't look so much like the guy at the beach getting sand kicked in his face to go with it is a goal as well. And sprint once a week as don't just want to 'muscle up' at the expense of everything else.
Well, it's half way through the year, so I'll kick off the updates. As per earlier advice I've switched over to 5/3/1. Due to my bulging disc my 4 lifts though are:
Front Squat, Shoulder Press (ultra ultra anal on form, as any sloppiness would have the back go), Bench Press and BB Hip Thrust.

Just finished the 5/3/1 week this morning of the 5th cycle.

Bench Press - most disappointing of the lifts, s**t this week, but overall have a projected 1RM at 100kg as the best across the cycles.
Shoulder Press - wasn't doing earlier, so started off a laughably low base. This week 57.5kg x 3. New goal for this lift is to get to a bodyweight 1RM. Which by the time I get there should be around 80kg. Happy with the progress.
BB Hip Thrust - started at 172.5 x 3, this morning 175kg x 6. Projected 1RM a touch over 200kg. Happy with the progress.
Front Squat - Tuesday night hit my mid-year goal - 100kg Front Squat - so stoked. Did 1 rep, probably could have banged out a second, but unsure and sticking with leaving it 'in the tank' for these for strength training.

Just before starting the last cycle read Wendlers new book - Beyond 5/3/1 and did First Set Last of the same exercise after the main lift. Prior to that was doing other exercises as the main accessory lifts. Going to be following his latest advice of 5 cycles forward, 3 back, so after deloading next week, will be resetting. And going to do the 6 week BBB challenge (BBB 5x10 at 50% first 2 weeks, 60% next 2, 70% last 2), where I'll be going:

Monday : BP 5/3/1, Shoulder Press 5x10, Accessory stuff
Tuesday : Front Squat 5/3/1, BB Hip Thurst 5x10, Abs, Accessory stuff
Thursday : Shoulder Press 5/3/1, BP 5x10, Accessory stuff
Friday : BB Hip Thrust 5/3/1, Front Squat 5x10, Accessory stuff

Going to the BBB option as have put on some muscle the last 5 months (up to 78kg, but more a 4 pack, then previously close to a 6), but want to put on some more across the second half of winter and first half of spring, before switching into cutting second half of spring ready for summer.

So except for not as much progress with my bench press as I'd like very happy with my progress for the first half of the year, stronger and some more muscle and still on track to meet all end of year goals.

Bench Press - most disappointing of the lifts, s**t this week, but overall have a projected 1RM at 100kg as the best across the cycles.
Shoulder Press - wasn't doing earlier, so started off a laughably low base. This week 57.5kg x 3. New goal for this lift is to get to a bodyweight 1RM. Which by the time I get there should be around 80kg. Happy with the progress.
BB Hip Thrust - started at 172.5 x 3, this morning 175kg x 6. Projected 1RM a touch over 200kg. Happy with the progress.
Front Squat - Tuesday night hit my mid-year goal - 100kg Front Squat - so stoked. Did 1 rep, probably could have banged out a second, but unsure and sticking with leaving it 'in the tank' for these for strength training.

Monday : BP 5/3/1, Shoulder Press 5x10, Accessory stuff
Tuesday : Front Squat 5/3/1, BB Hip Thurst 5x10, Abs, Accessory stuff
Thursday : Shoulder Press 5/3/1, BP 5x10, Accessory stuff
Friday : BB Hip Thrust 5/3/1, Front Squat 5x10, Accessory stuff
How do you find shoulder press after BP? Significantly weaker?

I chuck shoulder press in early on. I find it doesn't take too much away from BP - which can be taxing

What sort of Accessory stuff are you doing - isolations? Complimentary exercises?
For Bench day, weighted dips. Also super set chin ups during warm up sets of BP.
Squat day, other than abs, I do back extensions, plus Bulgarian split squats. I do the BSS as was starting to favour my right leg too much and it has helped close up the gap in strength between them.
Shoulder day, super set pull-ups during warm up sets of shoulder press. Do some cable rows and one armed rows to get in the upper back work.
Hip thrust day - some hamstring curls, plus some calve work (upper legs coming along nicely, but calves still twigs).

All accessory exercises only 3 working sets each, I'm making sure not to try turning it into a long running body builder workout.

How do you find shoulder press after BP? Significantly weaker?

I chuck shoulder press in early on. I find it doesn't take too much away from BP - which can be taxing
I was previously doing the 5/3/1 sets then First set last for the same exercise, which is the weight of first working set for shoulders and bench as (trying to get out) 4 sets of 8 reps.

I tried it this week where I swapped it, as I will be in a couple of weeks for the BBB challenge and got out around 8/8/6 and 4 reps. Similar sort of numbers on bench FSL after shoulder 5/3/1 sets. So both still tired out the body to a good degree.

Probably around the same difficulty as doing them after the same lift, but with the days swapped I'll be hitting all the lifts twice a week (but with the different rep ranges), for the same overall volume, so looking forward to seeing how the body responds over the next couple of months.

The one that stuffed me the most swapping was the front squats this morning trying to get out 4x6 at 80kg after the 5/3/1 hip thrusts. After hitting a new PR at 175kg x 6 my glutes were fried and consquently had s**t strength coming out of the hole at the bottom, eeked out 2 or 3 reps for each of the 4 sets.

hip thrusts don't go real well with lowish reps...its essentially an isolation exercise so glute activation and usage is of utmost importance which you might not get when loaded as a max effort movement...maybe use a 753 or 864 set up with slightly lower %'s

hip thrusts don't go real well with lowish reps...its essentially an isolation exercise so glute activation and usage is of utmost importance which you might not get when loaded as a max effort movement...maybe use a 753 or 864 set up with slightly lower %'s
In general, should glute isolation stuff aim for higher reps?

hip thrusts aren't a traditional isolation and technically it isnlt as it crosses the hip and knee joints but it trains 1 muscle only - the glutes...so it stands to reason that if you're doing a hip thrust then you're wanting to train the glutes so if you're not actually feeling it in the glutes then why are you doing it?

instead of thinking of a specific number of reps for isolation exercises i think its better to think of for as many reps as i can feel the muscle working whether it be 3, 8 or 15...then you use a wt that lets you reach the specific reps you're after to match your goal

i did try hip thrusts for max effort type of stuff (5 rep max beating each week) but i stopped once i wasn't feeling it in my glutes enough which was 130kg-ish

Remove this Banner Ad

Back