Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't possibly do overhead presses, or snatches, because my arms don't raise even close to 20 degrees from upright. no flexibility.

there's your bench press problem

the brain/nervous system knows there's limitations there so it will limit what you can lift...it knows how much it can do (97) without fear of injury but it knows that anything more will result in injury and "protects you" from doing it but simply not letting you do it

the brain/ns won't let you lift anything you can't stabilise

I have progressed about 1 to 2.5kgs a week all year. I am only deadlifting once a week now on a 5 x 5 and only do max 145 for two sets. Being an old fart I do a lot of compound exercises but lately have devoted one day a week to leg day and do deadlifts first on that day - I just cannot push beyond 145 - I have lifted 150 a couple of times but only for two or three reps. The other days I do shoulders/arms and chest/back. Interested in your thoughts kirky. I have been smashing the cardio lately - running for an hour at least two or three times a week

I am a brain dead and feeble fifty year old

get off 5 x 5 for mine...good for beginners to low level intermediates but once it stalls you gotta move on or at least change the parameters which to me looks like you 3 warm ups then 2 max sets - correct?

anyway try working up to 3 rep max then do 1 - 2 back off sets x 5...you'll instantly be using heavier wts because the reps are lower but you'll still get some volume in with the back off sets...so you'll finish about 10% heavier (160 - 170) so working off 160 (always start with unders), if we plan it out it might look like this:

week 1
5 x 50% - 80kgs / 4 x 60% - 96 / 3 x 70% - 112 / 3 x 80% - 128 / 3 x 90% - 144

week 2 - increase each 5% topping out at 3 x 152ish
week 3 - same topping out at 160ish
week 4 - deload with 3 x 5 @ 40/50/60%

repeat

obviously you'll gauge what you do on what you feel but if it's coming after the weekend and days off then you should be good to go each session for deads on a monday

what other stuff do you do on leg days?

I'm currently on the original workout that got me that 9kg gain. Once I build up to my new pb, hopefully 87.5k I'll go to the smolov jr. I tried it 2 weeks ago, but I wasn't where I thought I was. Then will go to the singles sets I was trying to do in march.

not sure you'll want to go straight into smolov, especially with your shoulder range of motion - or lack thereof

take a video of yourself moving your arm through various ranges of motion and gimme a look at what's going on there (straight up in front and out to the side as high as you can go...give me a side view of the 1st one)

1 - you'll get good at what you do a lot (swings vs deads/squats)
2 - why don't you have the range of motion to them?
3 - can it be rectified?
4 - then correct programming can be used to progress to the lift you can't do (starting at knee ht rack pull and finishing with deads from the floor for example)

in the end do you want or need to to do these lifts? but to not do a lift because you can't do it can be a bit of a cop out, i mean many blokes can;t do bench presses properly from limitations but they still do cos they're easy but the dame problem with squats and deads means they don't do them because they are actually hard to do

I have long running patella issues so I don't squat much and my hamstrings are abnormally tight. I try and stretch them as much as possible and have looked up about every stretch known to man but I only get small results. Same goes with my shoulders, I've always had terrible thoracic mobility and as a result have too much lordosis. Also trying to rectify this, but in the mean time I try not to do any 2 handed pressing/jerking above the head because I end up using lordosis for the ROM rather than the shoulder.

Note I also said don't take that as advice not to do lots of mobility work, but at the end of the day you shouldn't be doing a lift if your doing it wrong. For me that is the over head stuff. It will just enhance poor mobility in one area and increase it in an area with too much. All the while using a lot of the wrong muscles too because the mechanics of the lift are out.

My goal is to be a functional human. I can't keep training if I am injured. That is why I don't do those lifts for the moment. One day I'd love to be able to, but attempting to now is a recipe for a layoff.

I have long running patella issues so I don't squat much and my hamstrings are abnormally tight. I try and stretch them as much as possible and have looked up about every stretch known to man but I only get small results. Same goes with my shoulders, I've always had terrible thoracic mobility and as a result have too much lordosis. Also trying to rectify this, but in the mean time I try not to do any 2 handed pressing/jerking above the head because I end up using lordosis for the ROM rather than the shoulder.

Note I also said don't take that as advice not to do lots of mobility work, but at the end of the day you shouldn't be doing a lift if your doing it wrong. For me that is the over head stuff. It will just enhance poor mobility in one area and increase it in an area with too much. All the while using a lot of the wrong muscles too because the mechanics of the lift are out.

My goal is to be a functional human. I can't keep training if I am injured. That is why I don't do those lifts for the moment. One day I'd love to be able to, but attempting to now is a recipe for a layoff.

hams will be tight from various ailments but work your glutes hard in posterior pelvic tilt for starters plus flexibility them probably isn't your issue, it's pelvic...also work on your core a lot with some diaphragmatic breathing as they could be also stabilsing your pelvis if your core isn't

some breathing drills for the thoracic spine should get you in a decent position in regards to overhead movement but you might also need to look at improving scapula rhythum, upward rot etc which you'll only get from actually lifting your arms up over your had (not neccesarily loaded though)

the brain/nervous system knows there's limitations there so it will limit what you can lift...it knows how much it can do (97) without fear of injury but it knows that anything more will result in injury and "protects you" from doing it but simply not letting you do it

This was exactly my problem with squat depth, kirky's previous advice in this thread got me over my form issues.

hams will be tight from various ailments but work your glutes hard in posterior pelvic tilt for starters plus flexibility them probably isn't your issue, it's pelvic...also work on your core a lot with some diaphragmatic breathing as they could be also stabilsing your pelvis if your core isn't

some breathing drills for the thoracic spine should get you in a decent position in regards to overhead movement but you might also need to look at improving scapula rhythum, upward rot etc which you'll only get from actually lifting your arms up over your had (not neccesarily loaded though)

Nail. Head. Pretty much all the things I'm doing at the moment. Cheers though, sound advice.

One more thing that you may be able to help with. I'm getting the feeling that my medial gastro is not firing well at all. I have hyper developed gastros - genetics, but the medial head is quite gooey. Even when it's activated it's not as solid at the lateral head. I'm pretty sure it is because I've been using toe flexors. Any big hints on how to rectify this problem other than calf raises making sure you don't use toe flexors ? I am beginning to think that my patella issues could have been from this originally - I have trouble building medial quad too.

get off 5 x 5 for mine...good for beginners to low level intermediates but once it stalls you gotta move on or at least change the parameters which to me looks like you 3 warm ups then 2 max sets - correct?

anyway try working up to 3 rep max then do 1 - 2 back off sets x 5...you'll instantly be using heavier wts because the reps are lower but you'll still get some volume in with the back off sets...so you'll finish about 10% heavier (160 - 170) so working off 160 (always start with unders), if we plan it out it might look like this:

week 1
5 x 50% - 80kgs / 4 x 60% - 96 / 3 x 70% - 112 / 3 x 80% - 128 / 3 x 90% - 144

week 2 - increase each 5% topping out at 3 x 152ish
week 3 - same topping out at 160ish
week 4 - deload with 3 x 5 @ 40/50/60%

repeat

obviously you'll gauge what you do on what you feel but if it's coming after the weekend and days off then you should be good to go each session for deads on a monday

what other stuff do you do on leg days?
That is top shelf brother thanks

One more thing that you may be able to help with. I'm getting the feeling that my medial gastro is not firing well at all. I have hyper developed gastros - genetics, but the medial head is quite gooey. Even when it's activated it's not as solid at the lateral head. I'm pretty sure it is because I've been using toe flexors. Any big hints on how to rectify this problem other than calf raises making sure you don't use toe flexors ? I am beginning to think that my patella issues could have been from this originally - I have trouble building medial quad too.

do you roll off the outside of your foot a lot when you run and walk? check the heel on your shoes

i don't think a calf size descrepency would result in knee problems though...bow legged at all?

do you roll off the outside of your foot a lot when you run and walk? check the heel on your shoes

i don't think a calf size descrepency would result in knee problems though...bow legged at all?

On the topic of calves, i was discussing with a PT the other day about growing the size of the calf muscles through volume. I was talking about my brother who has taken this year off footy and focused on the gym, at the moment he is placing some extra emphasis on getting bigger calves. The PT said, whilst he made some size over the course of the next 6-9 months (prior to next season). If he played footy next year his chances of injuring his achillies would be greatly increased as well as shin splints due to extra work placed through the calves and the additional (very minor) muscle growth.....? Sounded like crap to me.

I'm not bow legged, but yes I do use the outside of my foot too much when running/walking. I tend to pronate a bit too. I wore orthotics for a while but that seemed to make my feet hurt a lot - especially in the plantar fascia region. Any and all suggestions will be helpful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i can't say it plays a part at all but really only at the elite/top end sort of stuff...after 2 "serious" bench press cycles and not a lot of consistently from then to now you're not there yet - correct programming can easily overcome it (partials, wt gain, weak point training, pin presses, accomodating resistance etc) and even then it really depends what your after...are you after a big bench for the numbers, aesthetics, competition, other sport performance etc

I wanna see where i can take it. I have a calculated 100kg bench i want more for that and 2x bw for legs for 5 reps which ive done for deadlift and close for squats. And look good for the ladies :D importantly i seek longevity. Aiming higher beyond 2.5 bw will be detrimental to that.

Im not understanding the shoulder issue with bench. However i checked out my mobility tonight and it aint bad. I did some overhead squats with wide grip, and im paralell through body all way through. Narrow is too hard and i need my shoes to keep balance. Ill upload a video when i can.

I'm home on the 28th of this month. Is it sick that the thing I'm most excited about is going down to my gym to sign up again?

I feel as though I'm wasting away here.

lol I know that feel, every time I come back from holiday or something, my motivation for lifting is absolutely through the roof.

I need your help :)

Back workout any suggestions.....I have been missing back sessions as I feel I can't get a good enough workout in them. I find it really hard to get that burn sensation.......my arms will be more sore than my back tomorrow (from all the rowing type movements).o_O

Back workout any suggestions.....I have been missing back sessions as I feel I can't get a good enough workout in them. I find it really hard to get that burn sensation.......my arms will be more sore than my back tomorrow (from all the rowing type movements).o_O

Try pullovers () he does it badly but you get the idea.

Other notes:
1. Try to think about using your back muscles. Your mind plays an epic part of which muscles you recruit when doing an exercise. So really think about pulling your elbows past your body and not using your biceps.
2. Still struggling, maybe do back before doing deads. I find they are a great finisher if your doing heavy deads.

do you pinch shoulder blades together and finish the rep with a slow eccecntric?

play around with various row exercises like these ones i've demonstrated here with light wt:

then choose 1 or 2 that you feel doing the most work through the back and do 5 x 10 everytime you go to the gym and on off days simply practice pulling your shoulder blades down and back as much as you can...in a month you'll be good to go...don't increase wt unless you feel the same work going through the back as you did the previous wt

Try pullovers () he does it badly but you get the idea.

Other notes:
1. Try to think about using your back muscles. Your mind plays an epic part of which muscles you recruit when doing an exercise. So really think about pulling your elbows past your body and not using your biceps.
2. Still struggling, maybe do back before doing deads. I find they are a great finisher if your doing heavy deads.

These are a good exercise, but it involves a fair bit of chest to and use to improve size and separation of the serratus under the rib cage. A great finisher exercise when doing a chest/back workout.

Just because you don't get a burn doesn't mean you aren't getting a good work out. If you are finding your arms are more sore than you may be using to much weight and incorporating to much pulling, just "muscling" the weight rather than moving it. Look to increase your forearm strength to help move more weight as you progress, when doing back exercises drop the weight slighlty and really focus on contracting the muscles.

Exercises on my back day;

wide, neutral, close, underhand grip chin ups
Over hand bent over rows
DB one arm rows
Lat pull down wide grip
Cable rows close grip
Back extensions

My gym also has a lat pull down machine/hammer strength chest press. Basically is a reverse close grip pull down. Also they have a seated row machine, the arms are fixed above the seat and i do an underhand row.

Just google back exercises if you are unsure of any of these exercises.

Weighted chins, slow on the eccentric movement.

If your normal sets are (for example) sets of 8 reps with a 20kg plate, drop it to 5-6 reps and slow the eccentric phase until 5-6 reps are the max you can do for working sets.

Great for anyone wanting to change up their routine as well.

Weighted chins, slow on the eccentric movement.

If your normal sets are (for example) sets of 8 reps with a 20kg plate, drop it to 5-6 reps and slow the eccentric phase until 5-6 reps are the max you can do for working sets.

Great for anyone wanting to change up their routine as well.

I'm all for weighted chin ups, but i would recommend it for someone who can confidently complete 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps at bodyweight only before adding 20kg plate. Once you can hit 3-4 sets x 10-12 reps at bodyweight, add 10kg plate once again do 3-4 sets, by max reps, once you hit the 10-12 range again up the weight to 15kg or 20kg.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back