Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Ive now been lifting for over two years and I think I've got my routine down pat for me.

My number one tip to beginners! ¤¤* Hypertrophy¤¤

Unless you're on the gear, 10-12 reps is pointless. You'll get minimal gains and no strength increases and you'll fall out of love with lifting. Wait until youre 24 and on the juice after lifting fof 5 years to go to a hypertrophy split.

However I find the "bro" split is still a good start ing base, but disregard the tris/bis parts and get an arm day if you really want.

Here's mine

Mon. Chest - Incline
Tue. Back - Deads
Wed. Shoulders
Thur. Legs
Fri. Chest - Flat
Sat. Back - Row
Sun. Arms

This is a every day routine - but I usually skip a day once a week due to commitments or I cant be ****ed getting up in the morning - that day is usually arm day as they get worked enough as it is.

Every routine is like such

Major Main Lift - Ascending Sets(~5) Max 5 Reps) do not count warm up sets
Secondary Main Lift - Fixed Weight (x4) 5 Reps
Heavy Assistance Exc - Ascending Weight (~4) Max 5 Reps
Heavy Assistance Exc - Fixed Weight (x4) 8 Reps
Light Assitance Exc - Light Weight (x2) Max Reps

For exanple on Chest Day it would be

Incline Bench
warm, warm, 80x5, 90x5, 95x4, 100x3, 90x4
Flat Dumb
45x5, 45x5, 45x5, 45x5
Weight Dips
Bodyx5, +10x5, +20x5, +20x4
Cable Flys
10px8, 10px8, 10px8, 10px8
Pushups/Sideways Chest Press, Dumb Flys
Light xMax, Light xMax

For Back it would be
Deads
Warm, warm, 140x5, 160x5, 180x4, 190x2, 200x2
Dumb Row
50x5, 50x5, 50x5, 50x5
Pullups
Body x5, Body x5, +10x5, +10x5, +20x3
Lat Pulldown
Heavy x8, Heavy x8, Heavy x7, Heavy x6
Straigh Arm Pulldowns
Light xMax, Light xMax

You get awesome strength gains and your building solid dense muscles mass, its the only way to go

Nice post FBI - one quick q. - any reason for doing rows before pullups or is that just the way your routine works?

I tend to use weighted pullups as my "main" back exercise, going straight into pendlay rows afterwards (3 x 8).

Nice post FBI - one quick q. - any reason for doing rows before pullups or is that just the way your routine works?

I tend to use weighted pullups as my "main" back exercise, going straight into pendlay rows afterwards (3 x 8).
I normally start with pullups too, except on dead lift day.

But I just felt for the explanation where my two "big excercises" for back where barbell row and deadlift in, I'd slidr them in later, in truth pullups are almost always my first exercise

I was just corresponding it with dips in my chest day to make it easier to follow as they are both body exercises

Ah cheers - TBH my routines can work a little differently depending on availability of equipment and what order my week runs e.g. sometimes I'll do deads on back day, other times I have a basic compounds/ABW on Fridays I save them for, especially if I am doing legs the day after back/bis.

Did 1RM testing at uni today, I haven't done any proper weight training for a few months now due to main focus on soccer skills/cardio fitness, so did alright for not lifting for 3 months at all.

Bench = 45kg
Squat = 85kg

My goal last year was to bench body weight ~57kgs, but hit a major plateau at 40kg and just couldn't get past it so kind of gave up. Finding out my 1RM has given me motivation to get back into it though.

Flew back into Perth at some ungodly hour yesterday morning after flying for over 20 hours. Slept yesterday and wondered back into the local today to sign up again and start training. Fuarrrrrkkkkkkk! Tried to slip back into my previous split, but I quickly realised on the first bench that I needed a couple of weeks before thinking of doing that.

My warmup sets became my work sets. That bad. So I did a bit of a full body workout, and will probably continue that for a week or two so that my body settles again. Praying for muscle memory to come into effect!

Flew back into Perth at some ungodly hour yesterday morning after flying for over 20 hours. Slept yesterday and wondered back into the local today to sign up again and start training. Fuarrrrrkkkkkkk! Tried to slip back into my previous split, but I quickly realised on the first bench that I needed a couple of weeks before thinking of doing that.

My warmup sets became my work sets. That bad. So I did a bit of a full body workout, and will probably continue that for a week or two so that my body settles again. Praying for muscle memory to come into effect!

Yep I fly on the Eastern Seaboard all the time - it *s your training schedule and seems to sap your lifting ability. Better to go in early before the flight

So yesterday did a morning steady state cardio (run in the hills around my house) with some sprints at the end. Polar beat analysis attached

3ysu2y3u.jpg

du9ehura.jpg

As you can see from this post I wear a heart rate monitor for every bit of training I do. Not because I feel like it gives me any competitive advantage or anything I'm basically just a numbers nerd and this kinda thing interests me :)

One of the strangest things I've noticed though is isolation exercises like bicep curls and kickbacks have a greater effect on my heart rate than pretty much anything else (including bench press, squats, deads and chin ups). Freakin weird o_O

One of the strangest things I've noticed though is isolation exercises like bicep curls and kickbacks have a greater effect on my heart rate than pretty much anything else (including bench press, squats, deads and chin ups). Freakin weird o_O
Very weird - I'll get light-headed sometimes straining for the last rep or two of squats or deadlifts (actually, for deadlifts it's normally after the last rep, just for a second. Weird.)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't get me wrong I feel it way more on squats and deads (also get giddy from heavy deads) but the effect on my heart rate is about the same on isolation arm exercises which is kinda strange.

Proximity to the heart maybe? Even the fact that it probably doesn't use as much of your other systems to do bicep curls compared to heavier compounds might come into play.

Bearing in mind that I have no medical or anatomical training or knowledge...

Proximity to the heart maybe? Even the fact that it probably doesn't use as much of your other systems to do bicep curls compared to heavier compounds might come into play.

Bearing in mind that I have no medical or anatomical training or knowledge...
Dude you're a fully qualified brofessor. Don't shun it, own it.

As you can see from this post I wear a heart rate monitor for every bit of training I do. Not because I feel like it gives me any competitive advantage or anything I'm basically just a numbers nerd and this kinda thing interests me :)

Haha, yeah. I wore one a few times in the gym a couple of years back, my highest reading was from alternate front raisers.

It also comes down to the order in which you do exercises to. Heart rate can take a while to get going on some days i.e try starting leg day with calf raises.

Interesting point regarding isolation exercises having a greater effect on heart rate.

I'm not sure how you calculated the rate (did you write it down, review data or just glance at the monitor), but I'd say it could be affected by how the exercise fits into the routine as opposed to the exercise itself (but likely both). For instance when I'm performing the larger compound lifts like deadlifts I'll have at least a 3 minute rest between sets. When I'm doing isolation work (lateral raises, flyes etc) then that's reduced. Since I'm not spending as much time lifting, it's likely that my heart rate is going to have dropped significantly.

Secondly it might have to do with the rep count. I generally keep all major lifts to 5 reps or under (aside from BBB aspect of 5/3/1) compared with all isolation work which is 8-10. 5 reps of a squat compared with say 12 bicep curls (24 in total if alternating) is more time of your body actually lifting.

Maybe not as crazy as it first seems.

Interesting point regarding isolation exercises having a greater effect on heart rate.

I'm not sure how you calculated the rate (did you write it down, review data or just glance at the monitor), but I'd say it could be affected by how the exercise fits into the routine as opposed to the exercise itself (but likely both). For instance when I'm performing the larger compound lifts like deadlifts I'll have at least a 3 minute rest between sets. When I'm doing isolation work (lateral raises, flyes etc) then that's reduced. Since I'm not spending as much time lifting, it's likely that my heart rate is going to have dropped significantly.

Secondly it might have to do with the rep count. I generally keep all major lifts to 5 reps or under (aside from BBB aspect of 5/3/1) compared with all isolation work which is 8-10. 5 reps of a squat compared with say 12 bicep curls (24 in total if alternating) is more time of your body actually lifting.

Maybe not as crazy as it first seems.

3ysu2y3u.jpg

du9ehura.jpg

Polar beat keeps track of every second I'm training #beatbrotheriswatching

As an aside

My morning 6k jog was very frustrating, legs were seriously lacking some running power and endurance. Outer quads in particular quite painful for the last 3k. The only cause I can think of is a massive leg sesh on Tuesday but that's 4 days ago.

Dem 100kg squats and 120kg deads tho, prefer to lift and be an average runner than a full blown cardio bunny.

Come 8pm though and my legs feel a lot better for the run. Might just punch out a couple of kms a couple of days after a heavy legs sesh to blow out the cobwebs.

So for the last 2 months or so I've been regularly going to the gym. However I think I may have strained my back and have had some back soreness and pain for the last month or so. It's become a lot worse over the last few days but it's feeling a lot better now. What are some light exercises I can do that won't put a massive amount of strain on it? Will just using an exercise bike be ok? Or should I just let it rest for a few days?

I've stepped into the gym this week and just felt like complete crap. Does anyone get weeks where they just struggle?

I was on holiday overseas for a week a couple of weeks ago but i've been back at the gym for a week and a bit now and my strength is lagging. There are a couple of factors that could add to it, in that i rolled my ankle at Basketball, which might have hampered my squats a little, but im not completely sure and that I just started a cut so i'm lacking a bit of fuel.

But I only managed to squat 140 for 4 today (including failing for the first time ever and getting stuck under the bar) when last week I put away 160 for 5 easily. Now that could have been to do with the ankle which was still a bit tender, maybe the psyiology wasn't right and I couldn't put the force down evenly or something. But on bench i struggled as well, struggling for 2 at 100 when i've repped for 5 easily before.

I hope it was just a bad week, but does anyone have any tips to maintain strength whilst on cut? I just started loading creatine again the other day so hopefully that will help.

Polar beat keeps track of every second I'm training #beatbrotheriswatching

As an aside

My morning 6k jog was very frustrating, legs were seriously lacking some running power and endurance. Outer quads in particular quite painful for the last 3k. The only cause I can think of is a massive leg sesh on Tuesday but that's 4 days ago.

Dem 100kg squats and 120kg deads tho, prefer to lift and be an average runner than a full blown cardio bunny.

Come 8pm though and my legs feel a lot better for the run. Might just punch out a couple of kms a couple of days after a heavy legs sesh to blow out the cobwebs.

When i was younger i use to run a lot, i always found my running was better in the afternoon as opposed to the morning. I purely put this down to being on my feet during the day walking around and moving more just warms you up and lossens up the body as opposed to feeling a bit stiff from just waking up first thing in the morning and going for a run with out much of a "warm up"

I've stepped into the gym this week and just felt like complete crap. Does anyone get weeks where they just struggle?

I was on holiday overseas for a week a couple of weeks ago but i've been back at the gym for a week and a bit now and my strength is lagging. There are a couple of factors that could add to it, in that i rolled my ankle at Basketball, which might have hampered my squats a little, but im not completely sure and that I just started a cut so i'm lacking a bit of fuel.

But I only managed to squat 140 for 4 today (including failing for the first time ever and getting stuck under the bar) when last week I put away 160 for 5 easily. Now that could have been to do with the ankle which was still a bit tender, maybe the psyiology wasn't right and I couldn't put the force down evenly or something. But on bench i struggled as well, struggling for 2 at 100 when i've repped for 5 easily before.

I hope it was just a bad week, but does anyone have any tips to maintain strength whilst on cut? I just started loading creatine again the other day so hopefully that will help.

I've found i have days as opposed to a week were i feel crap, the most important thing is you are in the gym working away doesn't matter if you aren't hitting your normal lifts or setting new PB's. You are in the gym working away and getting some training in as opposed to giving up sitting on the couch at home. Sometimes when i'm not feeling as strong, i will drop the weight and really try and increase the intensity of the workout.

So for the last 2 months or so I've been regularly going to the gym. However I think I may have strained my back and have had some back soreness and pain for the last month or so. It's become a lot worse over the last few days but it's feeling a lot better now. What are some light exercises I can do that won't put a massive amount of strain on it? Will just using an exercise bike be ok? Or should I just let it rest for a few days?
how did you hurt it and/or what movements re-enacts the pain?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back