Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I've stepped into the gym this week and just felt like complete crap. Does anyone get weeks where they just struggle?

I was on holiday overseas for a week a couple of weeks ago but i've been back at the gym for a week and a bit now and my strength is lagging. There are a couple of factors that could add to it, in that i rolled my ankle at Basketball, which might have hampered my squats a little, but im not completely sure and that I just started a cut so i'm lacking a bit of fuel.

But I only managed to squat 140 for 4 today (including failing for the first time ever and getting stuck under the bar) when last week I put away 160 for 5 easily. Now that could have been to do with the ankle which was still a bit tender, maybe the psyiology wasn't right and I couldn't put the force down evenly or something. But on bench i struggled as well, struggling for 2 at 100 when i've repped for 5 easily before.

I hope it was just a bad week, but does anyone have any tips to maintain strength whilst on cut? I just started loading creatine again the other day so hopefully that will help.

plan in deload weeks and/or maintain strength with the minimum vol...you can maintain strength by lifting in the 75 - 85
5 range with speed...you'll definitely need to deload after failing at 140 when you got 160 last week or you'll fail again and drop down further into the recovery hole

Sometimes when i'm not feeling as strong, i will drop the weight and really try and increase the intensity of the workout.

not a great idea as you'll "overtrain" 9/10 from too much vol, not the load so you're better off keeping the wt as heavy as you can but for less reps

and fyi, intensity is the 5 of your rm you're lifting at so decreasing that decreases intensity not increases it...increasing vol is increasing fatigue ...a huge difference

you probably slipped into some lumbar flexion (lower back/hip rounding)...go through this sequence every day 3 - 5 times throughout the day

before watching any of these vids, record a video of you lying on your back and taking as big a deep breathes as you can through the nose and out the mouth and hopefully they don't look like this:

but like this:

do 10 of the correct breathing reps then do this this x 5 slow reps with that hard core bracing you got with the breathing:

then get up and turn the glutes on with 20 of these:

then do this for 10secs doing all the things from the 3 exercises above, squeezing everything you got:

see how that goes and in the meantime just keep your spine straight at the gym, no bending or rotating until the pain subsides to about a 3 or 4/10 then slowly bring the movement back

not a great idea as you'll "overtrain" 9/10 from too much vol, not the load so you're better off keeping the wt as heavy as you can but for less reps

and fyi, intensity is the 5 of your rm you're lifting at so decreasing that decreases intensity not increases it...increasing vol is increasing fatigue ...a huge difference

We have differing views, i'm not a big believer in over training, but will agree the fatigue/feeling weak could be a sign of needing a rest. Everyone bodies is different, what works for some won't work for others.

i used overtraining loosely as it's not something that happens as easily people think it does but the int vs fatigue things is followed religously by any s&c coach who knows anything, its not a "everybody's different" thing

I've stepped into the gym this week and just felt like complete crap. Does anyone get weeks where they just struggle?

I was on holiday overseas for a week a couple of weeks ago but i've been back at the gym for a week and a bit now and my strength is lagging. There are a couple of factors that could add to it, in that i rolled my ankle at Basketball, which might have hampered my squats a little, but im not completely sure and that I just started a cut so i'm lacking a bit of fuel.

But I only managed to squat 140 for 4 today (including failing for the first time ever and getting stuck under the bar) when last week I put away 160 for 5 easily. Now that could have been to do with the ankle which was still a bit tender, maybe the psyiology wasn't right and I couldn't put the force down evenly or something. But on bench i struggled as well, struggling for 2 at 100 when i've repped for 5 easily before.

I hope it was just a bad week, but does anyone have any tips to maintain strength whilst on cut? I just started loading creatine again the other day so hopefully that will help.
Yes

1. Check sleep
2. Stress
3. Check load, maybe deload for a week and try again.

I'm not a pro or anything, but I'd cut; lose a bit of strength and then build it up again, but keep in a slight surplus.

This has been my program for last few weeks, will continue for a few more weeks.
---
1: Upper - shoulder press, shrugs, bench, rows, chin-ups, dips, curls and tri extension
2: Lower - squats, 45o leg press, isolation stuff + core - planks and twists(?)
3: Rest
4: Upper - as stated
5: Lower - as stated
6 + 7: Cardio related - stair runs, repeats, skipping
---
Balancing Uni and work makes it difficult, but I find time! Has been working well for me.

What's everyone up to?

This has been my program for last few weeks, will continue for a few more weeks.
---
1: Upper - shoulder press, shrugs, bench, rows, chin-ups, dips, curls and tri extension
2: Lower - squats, 45o leg press, isolation stuff + core - planks and twists(?)
3: Rest
4: Upper - as stated
5: Lower - as stated
6 + 7: Cardio related - stair runs, repeats, skipping
---
Balancing Uni and work makes it difficult, but I find time! Has been working well for me.

What's everyone up to?

On Saturday hopefully hit a new pb 5x87.5 on the bench doing the 40day challenge Cptkirk setup

Then finish off the cycle on Wednesday and come Monday starting the Smolov JR.

On Saturday hopefully hit a new pb 5x87.5 on the bench doing the 40day challenge Cptkirk setup

Then finish off the cycle on Wednesday and come Monday starting the Smolov JR.

I thought you were benching more than that? Only say this because I felt like originally you and I were almost identical (you might've been a bit more even) and that was in the 90s a few months ago. GL with it anyway, interesting to see the results

I thought you were benching more than that? Only say this because I felt like originally you and I were almost identical (you might've been a bit more even) and that was in the 90s a few months ago. GL with it anyway, interesting to see the results
i had a flat spot after doing singles incorrectly trying too
heavy and not finishing. i went quickly to 82.5 then slowly making 2.5 increments. but i wasnt as comitted as i needed to be

Just started lifting a couple of weeks ago and was given this routine by a trainer at the gym -

3X12 Deadlifts
3X12 Squats
3X12 Bent-over Rows
3x10 Chest Press
3x10 Shoulder Press
3x10 Lat Pulldown
+ 15 minutes on the bike(HIIT)

With pretty light weight 3 times a week with swimming every other day. Sundays Off.

What do you guys think of this for a beginner?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just started lifting a couple of weeks ago and was given this routine by a trainer at the gym -

3X12 Deadlifts
3X12 Squats
3X12 Bent-over Rows
3x10 Chest Press
3x10 Shoulder Press
3x10 Lat Pulldown

With pretty light weight 3 times a week with swimming every other day. Sundays Off.

Without having seen you its fine. Sways towards back dominant but that's probably a good thing for a beginner. Most people have tight chests and poor posture. So in super general terms it gets my tick for sure.

3X12 Deadlifts
3X12 Squats
3X12 Bent-over Rows
3x10 Chest Press
3x10 Shoulder Press
3x10 Lat Pulldown

you need more variation but have you done those exercises before ans can you actually do them with the technique required to continually move forwards with them - deads and squats i mean?

you need more variation but have you done those exercises before ans can you actually do them with the technique required to continually move forwards with them - deads and squats i mean?

Squats yes, but i'm only just learning the deadlift so my form is far from perfect at the moment.

you'll learn better doing m ore sets with less reps like 5 x 3 etc cos if you do 12 s**t deadlift reps for 3 sets your back will s**t itself...and more exercise variation to "spread the stress" better

know what i mean?

Get your deadlift form down ASAP. And by this I mean definitely work on it with someone who knows what they're doing until you're comfortable. You can take a long time to get down the movement because it is odd, especially for people who have never lifted before. But every day I see people lifting like they're made of rubber and it's literally cringeworthy watching. Don't risk injuring yourself.

I agree with Kirk, but having said that they've given you a pretty decent base workout plan that just covers the basics. So the lifts are ok, but are you deadlifting 3 times a week? If you're doing the above 3 times a week (i.e. all those lifts on a single day, 3 times) you're gonna kill yourself. I'd start with a program you rip from the web (e.g. SS) or get someone else to write you one.

Get your deadlift form down ASAP. And by this I mean definitely work on it with someone who knows what they're doing until you're comfortable. You can take a long time to get down the movement because it is odd, especially for people who have never lifted before. But every day I see people lifting like they're made of rubber and it's literally cringeworthy watching. Don't risk injuring yourself.

I agree with Kirk, but having said that they've given you a pretty decent base workout plan that just covers the basics. So the lifts are ok, but are you deadlifting 3 times a week? If you're doing the above 3 times a week (i.e. all those lifts on a single day, 3 times) you're gonna kill yourself. I'd start with a program you rip from the web (e.g. SS) or get someone else to write you one.

I'd agree if he was an intermediate lifter, but when your starting out you generally don't have sound enough coordination/awareness to torche yourself. For the short term it's about getting comfortable with basic lifts and learning a bit about weights - so the volume aspect is not a bad thing IMO. Keep it really simple. Squats and deads are essential to get right though - completely agree with that sentiment.

Thanks for all the comments guys, will defenietly need to work on my deadlift form.

I'm only doing barbell with no added weight(20kg's) while i get the technique right, is that still too much?

Thanks for all the comments guys, will defenietly need to work on my deadlift form.

I'm only doing barbell with no added weight(20kg's) while i get the technique right, is that still too much?

Here's my 'for what it's worth' idea regarding deadlifts.

I'm talking purely from personal experience, subjectively with how I progressed and anecdotally with how people I know have progressed. Deadlifts are one of those exercises where getting it right is often easy at a medium weight (at least initially). The best way of going about this is to read up online and get a good idea from some reputable sources on what constitutes a good deadlift. Secondly, get an idea of what it looks like and the mechanical way your body moves during the lift, and finally ensure that's what you're doing (through video or a good spotter watching you etc).

I found it very difficult to do this at low weights. Mainly because there wasn't that force pulling me down and I didn't have incentive to lift a weight that I couldn't curl (which I found confusing). I also found that the bar was too close to the ground making the pull awkward (but you can rectify this by either lifting the bar/plates on top of something or doing rack pulls (lifting from a cage where the bar is slightly off the ground).

Obviously your results may vary dependant on how strong you are / what your body composition is, but to answer your question (in a long rambling way! ~ sorry) a) No that's not too much - subjectively, b) I actually find a heavier weight, when you feel you can handle it, the best way to go.

And that feeds into why I feel doing high repetition deadlifting isn't too great.

For deadlifts themselves, I'd focus on a few things that you'll likely pick up from a bit of research and/or trial and error yourself when you get comfortable.

1) Try to open up your chest so you sit lower, prior to lifting. I see heaps of people bend over the bar and it puts you into a position where you end up levering the weight up (difficult to articulate this just with writing)
2) Don't make the start of the movement all hips and then back. Ideally it should be a smooth movement. At heavier weights and 1RM etc that goes out the window a bit, but you shouldn't lift hips then pull your back back (similar to 1.)
3) Intra abdominal pressure. You want to be braced through your core when you're lifting which assists in keeping your back straight. You don't want any lower back rounding and this will assist this. Personally, I hold breath throughout the movement.

*s**t, edit!:

I think deadlifting 3 times a week is excessive. Even twice is a lot. I mean if you're deadlifting 20kgs then it's not going to do you any harm, but it's one of the most taxing things your body can do. Ideally it's the movement that allows you to lift the most amount of weight in the gym of any exercise. Beyond any reasonable starting period, I think deadlifting more than twice a week is rough. But don't take my word for it, you can see for yourself and do some research. Good luck :)

Last edited:

I'm talking purely from personal experience, subjectively with how I progressed and anecdotally with how people I know have progressed. Deadlifts are one of those exercises where getting it right is often easy at a medium weight (at least initially). The best way of going about this is to read up online and get a good idea from some reputable sources on what constitutes a good deadlift. Secondly, get an idea of what it looks like and the mechanical way your body moves during the lift, and finally ensure that's what you're doing (through video or a good spotter watching you etc).

I found it very difficult to do this at low weights. Mainly because there wasn't that force pulling me down and I didn't have incentive to lift a weight that I couldn't curl (which I found confusing). I also found that the bar was too close to the ground making the pull awkward (but you can rectify this by either lifting the bar/plates on top of something or doing rack pulls (lifting from a cage where the bar is slightly off the ground).

Obviously your results may vary dependant on how strong you are / what your body composition is, but to answer your question (in a long rambling way! ~ sorry) a) No that's not too much - subjectively, b) I actually find a heavier weight, when you feel you can handle it, the best way to go.

And that feeds into why I feel doing high repetition deadlifting isn't too great.

For deadlifts themselves, I'd focus on a few things that you'll likely pick up from a bit of research and/or trial and error yourself when you get comfortable.

1) Try to open up your chest so you sit lower, prior to lifting. I see heaps of people bend over the bar and it puts you into a position where you end up levering the weight up (difficult to articulate this just with writing)
2) Don't make the start of the movement all hips and then back. Ideally it should be a smooth movement. At heavier weights and 1RM etc that goes out the window a bit, but you shouldn't lift hips then pull your back back (similar to 1.)
3) Intra abdominal pressure. You want to be braced through your core when you're lifting which assists in keeping your back straight. You don't want any lower back rounding and this will assist this. Personally, I hold breath throughout the movement.

*s**t, edit!:

I think deadlifting 3 times a week is excessive. Even twice is a lot. I mean if you're deadlifting 20kgs then it's not going to do you any harm, but it's one of the most taxing things your body can do. Ideally it's the movement that allows you to lift the most amount of weight in the gym of any exercise. Beyond any reasonable starting period, I think deadlifting more than once a week is rough. But don't take my word for it, you can see for yourself and do some research. Good luck :)

Cheers for all the information, will take it all in and experiment for myself.

Most likely will stick to this routine for another week or 2 while i get comfortable with the lifts. Once i am comfortable with different lifts and techniques i'll probably change up my workout a bit to include more excercies on different days.

you'll learn better doing m ore sets with less reps like 5 x 3 etc cos if you do 12 s**t deadlift reps for 3 sets your back will s**t itself...and more exercise variation to "spread the stress" better

know what i mean?

Yeah, the first few times i dead the deadlifts my back was very sore..but that may have been due to form,not really sure.

I do want to experiment with different excercises though.

*s**t, edit!:

I think deadlifting 3 times a week is excessive. Even twice is a lot. I mean if you're deadlifting 20kgs then it's not going to do you any harm, but it's one of the most taxing things your body can do. Ideally it's the movement that allows you to lift the most amount of weight in the gym of any exercise. Beyond any reasonable starting period, I think deadlifting more than twice a week is rough. But don't take my word for it, you can see for yourself and do some research. Good luck :)

Great advice, i was going to throw in my two cents, but you stole my thunder. I definitely agree your form with deadlifts improves as you progress to a intermediate weight, because the pulls you down as such.

I don't think twice a week is to much even for a newbie, people will progress quickly with the weight of these as long as they stay consistent. But one thing we all agree on, keep the weight in check and nail the form first.

130kg deadlift this morning and my grip was the first thing to give up was my grip.

4 reps first set no problems
2 reps second set because I didn't adjust my lifting staps tight enough and my grip gave way
4 reps on the third set with nice tight lifting straps easing the load on my grip.

130kg deadlift this morning and my grip was the first thing to give up was my grip.

4 reps first set no problems
2 reps second set because I didn't adjust my lifting staps tight enough and my grip gave way
4 reps on the third set with nice tight lifting straps easing the load on my grip.
Ok. Best advice is to use chalk. I can do 110kg no chalk and static hold 220kg for 5 seconds with chalk
2. Try using a hook grip. Thumbs wrapped under fingers with a double overhand grip until you slip.
3. Use a reverse grip and over grip after that.

Seriously if you do a few static holds 10-20÷ more than deadlift you will have no probs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back