Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

That is pretty young to start, if you wanna work on your game to be better maybe develop a big engine ie (run a lot)
I figure I have to get stronger to get state for tac cup and stuff and I already do 2.5kms a day.

Lifting weights so young can impede your bone development.

Shouldn't start until at least 16 I reckon, and should be careful you don't go heavy.

You can get strong using bodyweight exercises and theres lots on the internet

Bodyweight would be the way to go at your age. Work you core a lot and you will be able to shrug tackles and keep your feet. I dunno, but do other kids at your age lift weights?
At least one guy in my team foes and he made AA.

Have heard this said a lot, but is this actually proven? Just seems like one of those word-of-mouth things that becomes a "truth" by getting repeated a lot.
Read a few articles and it does say it's a "myth" BUT it also says that lifting too heavy can impede your epiphyseal growth plates, which was my point anyway.

I don't know how you go figuring out what's "too heavy" which is why I'd recommend doing bodyweight exercises. You would still have the upper hand considering no one really trains properly at that age.

I've been reading up on a few strength programs, and I've seen some do a week 1-4 3x10 for example, then slowly bring it down like, week 5-8 4x8, week 9-12 5x3 or something like that.

Why?

Is it, getting used to that rep range and heavy weight? Or is there a specific reason they slowly drop the reps and increase the sets?

I've been reading up on a few strength programs, and I've seen some do a week 1-4 3x10 for example, then slowly bring it down like, week 5-8 4x8, week 9-12 5x3 or something like that.

Why?

Is it, getting used to that rep range and heavy weight? Or is there a specific reason they slowly drop the reps and increase the sets?

its a very basic progression where the assumption is that as the weight gets heavier, then the less reps you'll be able to do (eventually)...i use a similar progression with my clients but the speed of progression is based entirely on the client, not the program

so i'll have clients say start at say 3 sets of 8 and we'll increase the weight each week or/session until getting the full 8 reps for all 3 sets looks and/or feels like a 9/10 effort level (10/10 is technical breakdown and I don't wanna go there with paying clients)

once we get to that point then i'll generally keep the progression the same (increasing weight each session/week) but drop the reps like the program above (5 then to 3 generally) bit i don't 4 weeks at one rep range then move to another after another 4 weeks

as a beginner this is your best type of program to follow for most of your training but take the progression for as long as you can, if you can keep getting stringer with 8 reps rather then 6 then stay with that for as long as you can before dropping down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cptkirk Keen to buy some olympic weightlifting shoes... what are your thoughts? I have really poor ankle mobility.. been working on it using the videos you linked a while back but perhaps I haven't been diligent enough and still lack mobility...

Would I be able to use these on my normal flat shoes...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Inov-8-Power-Heel-/321400794190?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

Or do you need the inov-8 shoes?

not my area really but i'd be hesitant to add the heel lift option over actual shoes - i mean can you really tighten it enough so it doesn't slide or slip while your trying to throw a wt over your head?

if your just o lifting for footy then you could get away barefeet or flat shoes and modify the exercise a little (or simply do something different to get the same effect)

what are you doing o lifts for? and where does your lack of ankle mobility break them down?

I'm 14 and want to start doing weights to get stronger for footy what do you guys suggest?

yep bodyweight first mate - you do need to get stronger for sure but initially get the most from the least is the way to go...so aim for these:

single leg exercises all x 15 reps each leg - split squat, step up, reverse lunge, bulgarian split squats, walking lunges, dynamic lunges
squats - 20 reps but with perfect technique
hip hinge movement pattern - 20 reps
push ups from floor - 15 reps
chin ups full range of motion - 10 reps

if you can work p to those then you'd get far greater results once you move to wts then if you go straight to them now

not my area really but i'd be hesitant to add the heel lift option over actual shoes - i mean can you really tighten it enough so it doesn't slide or slip while your trying to throw a wt over your head?

if your just o lifting for footy then you could get away barefeet or flat shoes and modify the exercise a little (or simply do something different to get the same effect)

what are you doing o lifts for? and where does your lack of ankle mobility break them down?
Not really Olympic lifts like clean and jerk more so squatting.

When squatting, I find it hard for my knees to go over my feet without my heels coming off the floor. When my heels are elevated I squat a lot easier and deeper. My hip mobility is fine and I am not a quad dominant squatter.. so using the process of elimination I'm putting it down to my ankles...

What's the best guide online - perhaps with video - for a beginner. I don't wanna be huge. Nicely toned with good pecs.
Video for what?

There are a lot of videos

Not really Olympic lifts like clean and jerk more so squatting.

When squatting, I find it hard for my knees to go over my feet without my heels coming off the floor. When my heels are elevated I squat a lot easier and deeper. My hip mobility is fine and I am not a quad dominant squatter.. so using the process of elimination I'm putting it down to my ankles...
Why don't you squat with a plank beneath your feet?

cptkirk

Can you give a brief outline as to what core exercises should be done to develop a strong core strength, particularly for football.

Also, a way to test your core strength, to track your progress as well.

I saw your video on core exercises, and it was great, but you did a lot of them in quick succession, and I can barely do a minute plank, let alone go through them that quickly.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

so the vid just showed a whole heap of exercises which you'd all do seperately, not as the 1 sequence like i did...

standing core exercises are obviously the best options for footy but you've got to be ready for them which is built through prone/supine versions like in the video...it's all bout developing tension and being able to hold it in a variety of positions

So pissed off right now.

Hit 87.5 the other week for 5 reps. Took a full week off, started a singles and working set program and ******* failed on 96KG today, after starting conservatively at 90kg for a single 3 weeks ago.

Every time I do a high intensity singles program I lose strength. What the hell is going on. I seem to do alright with the high volume stuff. but according to the workout I'm doing I should have been able to hit 96kg hands down.

seems your nervous system can't handle the real high intensity stuff...no big deal, stay with the 75 - 90% stuff that has given results in the past...that being said you can't bench heavy-bench heavy-bench heavy and not expect to hit a snag or 2

attaining a big bench is a product of speed, strength and hypertrophy but it seems you only train for 1 of those factors - maybe try the other 2, stay away from max lifting for a bit and see what pans out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back