Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope so. I'd like to still be lifting at 60.

As a someone just about turn 48 I can tell you that a lot of lifting at this age becomes about managing niggles unfortunately.

A 30 year old body is a lot more forgiving.

I just love the brain in neutral aspect of it and the fully sick pump ule. Since I have been on my tendonitis enforced cardio ban I have bulked up - of course the wife hates it!

whaaaaat, I was fatigued after 2x5 at 92.5kg and 90kg respectively and pumped out 20 reps of 60kg, fresh I could easily do 20-30 reps of 65kg

Are AFL players really only this strong?

What a AFL players benches is completely irrelevant, well for someone like Dangerfield it is. His body strength is elite as is his attack on the ball. The strength of a player at the contest is most relevant, not benching 65ks for reps.

What a AFL players benches is completely irrelevant, well for someone like Dangerfield it is. His body strength is elite as is his attack on the ball. The strength of a player at the contest is most relevant, not benching 65ks for reps.
I know that I never said it was relevant to his playing ability.. Imo Dangerfield is the best player in the comp, I'm just surprised at his lack of strength.

I'd be interested to see what AFL players big three lifts are like though. Anyone got stats on players that are regarded as powerful/explosive - past and present eg.

Johno Brown
Fraser Gehrig
Brendan Fevola
Scott Pendlebury
Dustin Martin

Surely someone like Pendles would be putting up 2x bw squats and high numbers on bench, the way he explodes out of packs is ridiculous.

I know that I never said it was relevant to his playing ability.. Imo Dangerfield is the best player in the comp, I'm just surprised at his lack of strength.

I'd be interested to see what AFL players big three lifts are like though. Anyone got stats on players that are regarded as powerful/explosive - past and present eg.

Johno Brown
Fraser Gehrig
Brendan Fevola
Scott Pendlebury
Dustin Martin

Surely someone like Pendles would be putting up 2x bw squats and high numbers on bench, the way he explodes out of packs is ridiculous.

And i was saying bench press doesn't equate to strength for footy. Sure i could out bench danger but he would have me covered in a one on one on a footy ground.

And i was saying bench press doesn't equate to strength for footy. Sure i could out bench danger but he would have me covered in a one on one on a footy ground.
Of course, footy strength is much more than chest shoulders and triceps man, you need to be strong through your entire body

Of course, footy strength is much more than chest shoulders and triceps man, you need to be strong through your entire body

You did say you were surprised by dangers lack of strength, should of been lack of bench press strength :p. I think you would be surprised at AFL plyers bench press numbers that would be anything special and a lot less than your avg gym rat.

I spoke with a head S&C coach at an AFL club over the weekend.

He said the average squat for a seasoned afl player is only about 1.4-1.6 BW's, bench was about 1-1.5BW

Being strong is about 4th on the list of things they need to train for in order to be a good player. Not the number 1 focus like most of us...

It was max.

Players are always fatigued from running and the training they do, so in the gym can't be of a super high intensity or it will effect their next running/skills session.

We the public need to realise that at least half of what an AFL player does in the gym is injury prevention and conditioning, not strength gains.

As the bloke in question said 'I'd take a 5% reduction in injuries over a 10% gain in strength any day for my squad'

He makes a good point, law of diminishing returns on the strength front.

I wonder how much of their weight routines focus on muscle endurance rather than strength?

I remember someone saying they saw Cousins down their gym in his prime and he was banging out sets of at least 30 squats at a time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.5 X BW squat. For a single max - that is pretty average.

1.5 BW max for bench is very impressive

I'd guess just by looking at a lot of AFL players that there maxs should be closer to 1-1.1 for Bench and 1.5 -1.7+ for squat

Some of these players have very juicy hamstrings and quads , 150kg squats should be relatively easy for a Jobe Watson, Rockliff, Cloke, Darling type of players with thick legs

You did say you were surprised by dangers lack of strength, should of been lack of bench press strength :p. I think you would be surprised at AFL plyers bench press numbers that would be anything special and a lot less than your avg gym rat.

well for starters they don't train bench every mon, wed and fri at 6pm

injury prevention is a lot of their gym stuff so sub maximal loading to groove patterns and to basically overload the muscles for what they
ll get in a game from an eccentric contraction point of view...you've also got to take into account they'd get maybe 8 - 12 weeks tops to really hit the wts hard and then you've got to also take into account injuries from the previous season + training experience in the gym...like if they're in their 3rd year but haven't done a pre season yet through injury...

it's a lot different to what we have to contend with

1.5 X BW squat. For a single max - that is pretty average.

1.5 BW max for bench is very impressive

I'd guess just by looking at a lot of AFL players that there maxs should be closer to 1-1.1 for Bench and 1.5 -1.7+ for squat

Some of these players have very juicy hamstrings and quads , 150kg squats should be relatively easy for a Jobe Watson, Rockliff, Cloke, Darling type of players with thick legs

Obviously that was a ballpark figure, he said the pointy end do double BW squats.

injury prevention is a lot of their gym stuff so sub maximal loading to groove patterns and to basically overload the muscles for what they
ll get in a game from an eccentric contraction point of view...you've also got to take into account they'd get maybe 8 - 12 weeks tops to really hit the wts hard and then you've got to also take into account injuries from the previous season + training experience in the gym...like if they're in their 3rd year but haven't done a pre season yet through injury...

it's a lot different to what we have to contend with

Just found you in an old thread on T-Nation. Classic.

I wonder how much of their weight routines focus on muscle endurance rather than strength?

I remember someone saying they saw Cousins down their gym in his prime and he was banging out sets of at least 30 squats at a time.

For things such as squats there would be minimal strength endurance, especially not 30 reps. I'd think with some hamstring exercises as well as injury prevention stuff there would be higher reps but that's about it.

Has anyone had any experience with enhancing? I know this is a touchy subject for most.. just curious if anyone on here has actually jumped on a 'cycle' as they say...

Not looking for info just curious if people on this forum have used or not ....

In that case, no I haven't. I'm not 100% against the idea, but I don't think it will ever be worth it for me because I've never had enough consistency, commitment to diet or a solid training partner.

For it to be warranted, you have to be doing everything else at an elite level and not be competing in anything other than bodybuilding(I mean that in a moral/ethical sporting sense). Neither of which are me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back