Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Start at http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

T-nation has a dedicated 5/3/1 forum that Jim Wendler (the program creator) is active in.
yeah thanks, I understand it all now from reading up on a few different sites, sounds pretty good.
the only thing though is I need to figure out my max 1 rep % for each exercise so I know how hard I need to go.
I don't have a spotter as I don't have a training partner, thinking of just using a bench press fixed machine instead to start with.

Dumb bells is also a hard one, as at a gym you cant just add weight, you have to replace a set for a heavier set. not really practical if you get me, going 80% 5 reps then take back increase dumbbell 85% 3 reps take back then dumbbell increase 90% for 1 rep its a lot of changing dumbbells. I might just leave dumbbells to one percentage even though program says should increase, so just a plain everything at 80-85%

its good idea for machined weights or easy adjusted weights like a bench press though.

Last edited:
yeah thanks, I understand it all now from reading up on a few different sites, sounds pretty good.
the only thing though is I need to figure out my max 1 rep % for each exercise so I know how hard I need to go.
I don't have a spotter as I don't have a training partner, thinking of just using a bench press fixed machine instead to start with.

Dumb bells is also a hard one, as at a gym you cant just add weight, you have to replace a set for a heavier set. not really practical if you get me, going 80% 5 reps then take back increase dumbbell 85% 3 reps take back then dumbbell increase 90% for 1 rep its a lot of changing dumbbells. I might just leave dumbbells to one percentage even though program says should increase, so just a plain everything at 80-85%

its good idea for machined weights or easy adjusted weights like a bench press though.
actually just read that that T nation program which is more understanding, dumbbells are just 5 sets 15 reps, yeah that makes more sense.

actually just read that that T nation program which is more understanding, dumbbells are just 5 sets 15 reps, yeah that makes more sense.
It's not good for Dumbbells as the main lifts. Don't worry about percentages for the other lifts (except BBB if you do that). The bench press get your '1rm' using an estimate calculator doing higher reps if you've no spotter. As long as you work up to 8 or less it will give you a reasonable estimate. Better to be light then use machines for bench or squat. They are nice in theory and started benching the same way for around a month before doing it properly, but they both miss working stabiliser muscles (dropping it from being a compound lift for hitting Max muscles efficiently) and because of that greatly increasing your chances of injury down the track due to muscle imbalances.

I don't try to do heavy chins / pull-ups, but have done (feeling heavy) triple chins with son two (around 25kg) to amuse him.

go heavy for chin ups trying to match your bench press numbers for the same reps (bw + external wt = bench press wt) and row eery training session you do

if you're failing off the chest then do bottom position pin bench presses with 3 secs between reps

if failing midway drop to 60 - 80% of max bench and do some explosive reps for sets of 1 - 3

if failing at lockout then tri's tri's tri's

ok I give you a little update of my progress, any advice is appreciated.
I've been going to the gym 5 days a week, been doing it for the last month, 2 months all up since I started. so I basically don't know s**t, I'm actually really enjoying going for the first time in my life, gets me out of the house and I feel good about going. I've gotten over the soreness phase as I can pretty much go everyday now, been using protein power for recover to help. but my problem is I'm not seeing results in myself though which is letting me down a little bit, I know its going to take time, I feel a little bigger and stronger, been upping all my weights on each different muscle group, I want to lose a bit of weight off the stomach, been adding 10 minute on the treadmill each time I go, I'm not eating bad, just normal meals eggs, chicken, etc. sometimes sushi- is that fattening I don't know, feels healthy. drinking plenty of water.

my program which was made up for me by an instructor is as follows.

5 minute bike to warm up
3 sets of assisted weight chin ups
3 sets of barbell standing shoulder press- use 23kg
3 sets dumbbell pec press 17.5kg each arm- I added that because I like doing them.
lunges 2 sets times 10-15 with 12kg dumbells
seated row 3 sets, about 43kg
incline press 3 sets forget how much I push on that one
leg curls 3 set, 30-40 kg
then its sit ups 2 sets times 20
push up planking- forget the name of it, you know what I mean- for as long as I can go times 2
10 minute treadmill on ok jogging pace level 11.

that's it, so my goals are pretty much I want to build my chest up a little bit to get rid of my man boobs lol and lose lower stomach fat.

what do you guys think, what would you maybe leave out and add.

ok so a beginner - no worries

you need a low amount of exercises/movements and high frequency with them sort of like you're doing now but with a much better set up...531 needs actual 1rm's which would be stupid for you to try right now so leave that for your intermediate stage

so only the big movements - hip hinge, squat or single leg, row, chin up, core, chest press or push up, shoulder press

now make a list of hard and easy exercise variations of each:

hip hinge - deadlifts and glute exercises...goblet squats and step ups...inverted row and cable bar row...chin ups only...core has a million options...bench press and push up...shoulder press only

now bare in mind that you need to determine if you are ready for all of these exercises/movements or not? for example if you can't do 20 perfect push ups you've got no business doing bench presses...why? the main for me is that you'll lift a grater load with push ups anyway (70% of bodyweight load vs pretty much nothing like you do now)...also do you know how to squat? deadlift? do you sufficient thoracic mobility to overhead press in any capacity?

it's fine to say do 531 or whatever but you've got to know got to do the actual exercises don't ya?

so with the hard/easy exercises split them into 2 sessions:

#1 - hip hinge hard, single leg easy, row hard, chin ups easy, core, chest hard, shoulder hard
#2 - hip hinge easy, squat hard, row easy, chin ups hard, core, chest easy (no easy shoulder)

so hard can either be heavy wt or high rep...easy can be light wt or low rep...but this depends on where you are with each exercise..some will progress with weight, some with reps and some with exercise progression

go heavy for chin ups trying to match your bench press numbers for the same reps (bw + external wt = bench press wt) and row eery training session you do

if you're failing off the chest then do bottom position pin bench presses with 3 secs between reps

if failing midway drop to 60 - 80% of max bench and do some explosive reps for sets of 1 - 3

if failing at lockout then tri's tri's tri's
Thanks. I need to fit in more back work by the sound of it. Currently not matching pulling with pushing. Which I know is evil, especially since an office worker.

It's around the mid-point I feel weakest so that works in well with thinking about adding in a Dynamic Effort day to try and bust the sticking weight :)

ok I give you a little update of my progress, any advice is appreciated.
I've been going to the gym 5 days a week, been doing it for the last month, 2 months all up since I started. so I basically don't know s**t, I'm actually really enjoying going for the first time in my life, gets me out of the house and I feel good about going. I've gotten over the soreness phase as I can pretty much go everyday now, been using protein power for recover to help. but my problem is I'm not seeing results in myself though which is letting me down a little bit, I know its going to take time, I feel a little bigger and stronger, been upping all my weights on each different muscle group, I want to lose a bit of weight off the stomach, been adding 10 minute on the treadmill each time I go, I'm not eating bad, just normal meals eggs, chicken, etc. sometimes sushi- is that fattening I don't know, feels healthy. drinking plenty of water.

my program which was made up for me by an instructor is as follows.

5 minute bike to warm up
3 sets of assisted weight chin ups
3 sets of barbell standing shoulder press- use 23kg
3 sets dumbbell pec press 17.5kg each arm- I added that because I like doing them.
lunges 2 sets times 10-15 with 12kg dumbells
seated row 3 sets, about 43kg
incline press 3 sets forget how much I push on that one
leg curls 3 set, 30-40 kg
then its sit ups 2 sets times 20
push up planking- forget the name of it, you know what I mean- for as long as I can go times 2
10 minute treadmill on ok jogging pace level 11.

that's it, so my goals are pretty much I want to build my chest up a little bit to get rid of my man boobs lol and lose lower stomach fat.

what do you guys think, what would you maybe leave out and add.

Agree with cptkirk, you sound like a beginner so 5/3/1 is not for you at this stage. You will respond best with the simple exercises and not overdoing, you dont need to be doing 5 sets x 10-12 reps just yet.

Personally for me when i got back into lifting around 2.5 years ago, i stuck with full body work out 3 times a week for 2-3 months. Then after this satge i split up into body parts. The most common form will be day 1 - legs, day 2 - chest/tris/shoulders, day 3 - back/bis.

The main focus will be your goals, by the sounds of if you are more focus on looking in shape than what you can bench press. Typically this means as you progress you will have to focus more on splitting up your work outs into body parts, with higher rep ranges 8-15 and more volume.

Also you can spot reduce bodyfat, your body will dictate where it comes from and typically for guys the lower stomach around the belly button and lower back 'love handles" are reserved for when you get sub 8% body fat levels. Google HIIT training, this or a walk for 30-60mins on a fasted stomach is a technique that can be used to help burn body fat. But honestly the key to dropping body fat is diet. Reaclly track what you are eating, most people would be really suprised by how many calories they do consume. Whilst some foods are more beneficial than others, and fat, protein, carbs all have different actions on the body, overall calorie intake is what makes you fat.

Agree with cptkirk, you sound like a beginner so 5/3/1 is not for you at this stage. You will respond best with the simple exercises and not overdoing, you dont need to be doing 5 sets x 10-12 reps just yet.

Personally for me when i got back into lifting around 2.5 years ago, i stuck with full body work out 3 times a week for 2-3 months. Then after this satge i split up into body parts. The most common form will be day 1 - legs, day 2 - chest/tris/shoulders, day 3 - back/bis.

The main focus will be your goals, by the sounds of if you are more focus on looking in shape than what you can bench press. Typically this means as you progress you will have to focus more on splitting up your work outs into body parts, with higher rep ranges 8-15 and more volume.

Also you can spot reduce bodyfat, your body will dictate where it comes from and typically for guys the lower stomach around the belly button and lower back 'love handles" are reserved for when you get sub 8% body fat levels. Google HIIT training, this or a walk for 30-60mins on a fasted stomach is a technique that can be used to help burn body fat. But honestly the key to dropping body fat is diet. Reaclly track what you are eating, most people would be really suprised by how many calories they do consume. Whilst some foods are more beneficial than others, and fat, protein, carbs all have different actions on the body, overall calorie intake is what makes you fat.
Yeah I think I agree that 5,3,1 probably isn't for me just yet. I feel like I'm at that stage now though where I'm ready to start to split the body parts into different days.

I'm going to make my own program up for each day and go from there, slowly increasing reps and weight. had a gym instructor help me the other night with squats and deadlifts getting the technique right which helps. Last time I checked my body fat it was at 20% so I got a long way to go to get that down although Im not really fussed just yet about that, I just want to get my program right and continue going and enjoying it.

Thanks. I need to fit in more back work by the sound of it. Currently not matching pulling with pushing. Which I know is evil, especially since an office worker.

It's around the mid-point I feel weakest so that works in well with thinking about adding in a Dynamic Effort day to try and bust the sticking weight :)

the easiest way is to accelerate every rep you do anyway, like you would a light wt so when you work up to a heavy set, do all sets like de would be...then do some extra back off sets the same way at with 10 - 20% less wt than you worked up to

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ok cheers.my rack is identical to that.

so basically it's just starting from the bottom.

Why not just go to midway and do more reps rather than locking out?

you've got to build acceleration off the chest through to lockout...moving in such a short range of motion won't build the acceleration you need

try sprinting 5m then having to turn and sprint again for 5m - you can't get anywhere near your top speed as you spend most of the time decelerating and accelerating

how's your boy travelling?

you've got to build acceleration off the chest through to lockout...moving in such a short range of motion won't build the acceleration you need

try sprinting 5m then having to turn and sprint again for 5m - you can't get anywhere near your top speed as you spend most of the time decelerating and accelerating
ok. My 1RM is just over 100kg so I should do it with one plate like you are in the vid?

how's your boy travelling?
not bad. He's not dedicated enough though. Starting to fall right down the pecking order at the Chargers. As you know, it's pretty cutthroat.

ok. My 1RM is just over 100kg so I should do it with one plate like you are in the vid?

not bad. He's not dedicated enough though. Starting to fall right down the pecking order at the Chargers. As you know, it's pretty cutthroat.
work up to a 3 rep max for them weekly hopefully beating it for 3 - 4 weeks in a row...follow up with 2 - 2 sets of full range of motion at the same wt for explosive reps

if you watch a lot of my vids you'll notice i use teeny tiny wts as i usually film 50 or so vids in a row after i've trained!

could he make the bog leagues if he dedicated himself ya think or not quite?

Yeah well ok so this is the thing that confuses me, most people, even the instructor yesterday are saying to me to split each day into muscle groups as it's more effective.
But I'm not looking to baulk up much just my chest a bit, and then to lose weight, alright then I'll stick to my fullbody program 3-4 days a week. You saying that's better for my goals.

Yeah well ok so this is the thing that confuses me, most people, even the instructor yesterday are saying to me to split each day into muscle groups as it's more effective.
But I'm not looking to baulk up much just my chest a bit, and then to lose weight, alright then I'll stick to my fullbody program 3-4 days a week. You saying that's better for my goals.

Because you are a beginner your body will respond to less than volume, as opposed to someone who has trained for 2, 4 or 10 years. You split up your program into body parts to allow for more volume. Continue with full body until you either get bored after another 3 months, or hit a bit of plateau. If you want a bigger chest maybe add in an extra chest exercise or an extra couple of sets to your current full body work out.

oh i thought he might have been closer to top age - plenty of time then...you often here of TAC's having a great 2nd half a season, some good showing in the championships/finals and they get drafted...how tall is he and what position? lewis taylor is only 173cms and won rising star last yr

oh i thought he might have been closer to top age - plenty of time then...you often here of TAC's having a great 2nd half a season, some good showing in the championships/finals and they get drafted...how tall is he and what position? lewis taylor is only 173cms and won rising star last yr
he's 185cm. CHB type so really needs to end up 191+ and hes seems to really slowed down growing. I was similar, grew really fast to 184 then stopped growing when i turned 16.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back