Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I understand the 1 rpm but if I do that I do pyramid training and would still pump out big sets e.g 16reps, 12, 10, 6, 4, 1, 1, 1, 10, 16

if you're gong for a 1rm (or rpm?) then doing 48 - 50 reps before you even reach your max is not testing or even training your max...not even close...a max is NEVER tested under any fatigue at all otherwise it isn't really your max

if you're gong for a 1rm (or rpm?) then doing 48 - 50 reps before you even reach your max is not testing or even training your max...not even close...a max is NEVER tested under any fatigue at all otherwise it isn't really your max
If your fatigued after 3 sets leading into your 1rm your obviously not fit enough!

That's rubbish
So you wake up in the morning do nothing until you train (all day if you train pm don't even go to work) so what happens do you walk in to the gym do your 1rm then go home.

FFS surely 40 to 50 reps or 100 or 200 push ups can't fatigue you that much before that 1rm . And if it does you can't be fit.

So you wake up in the morning do nothing until you train (all day if you train pm don't even go to work) so what happens do you walk in to the gym do your 1rm then go home.

FFS surely 40 to 50 reps or 100 or 200 push ups can't fatigue you that much before that 1rm . And if it does you can't be fit.

why would you just do a 1rm and go home? why would you do a 1rm anyway?

hey here's a idea based on actual strength conditioning principles - do your heavy sets while your fresh then your vol after it

and fitness has nothing to do with bench presses or push ups...nothing at all

Id be fatigued as * after 200 pushups haha

I always do minor warmups before 1rm's

Bar for 5
Plate for 3
Then start hitting a max.
Might jump to 90kg do a rep easy
Go to 100 do a rep easy
Go to 110 do a rep clean
Go to 112.5 do a rep slow but a strong finish
Go to 115kg just get it
Take a few minutes off (up to 5) see if i can go to 117.5kg - if I cant hit it call it and move on to the rest of my workout

This time last year my NYR was to do one extra pushup a day for the year finishing on NYE at 365, I got bored mid March and gave up. Spewing I did as it would have been good to find my limit.
I've been doing 50 push ups every wicket and 50 sit-ups for every 6 hit when watching the big bash and I watch it most nights!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

cptkirk what are your thoughts on locking out your knees on calf raises? The gym I'm at now doesn't have a seated calf raise machine so at the moment I'm doing them on the smith machine but have realised that i basically have my legs completely straight during all phases. Would this be bad for my knees? Because I'm pretty sure it's recommended to not lock your knees out similar to leg press.

bs on both of those

1 - you can't achieve the optimal calf contraction in standing position without locked out knees

2 - the leg press thing probably comes "constant tension" in regards to muscle growth

just ensure you;re not slipping into knee hyperextension and you're golden

bs on both of those

1 - you can't achieve the optimal calf contraction in standing position without locked out knees

2 - the leg press thing probably comes "constant tension" in regards to muscle growth

just ensure you;re not slipping into knee hyperextension and you're golden
Okay cheers yeh I'm definitely not hyperextending.

Was doing squats today and was feeling a lot of pressure on my lower back after my 5 sets of 5.

Is this normal? Is my form off? Am i going too heavy?

It's feeling pretty good now, but right after, never really felt it on my lower back that much after squats

Was doing squats today and was feeling a lot of pressure on my lower back after my 5 sets of 5.

Is this normal? Is my form off? Am i going too heavy?

It's feeling pretty good now, but right after, never really felt it on my lower back that much after squats
In the last rep or two are you getting 'butt wink'?
That would place more pressure on the lower back I assume - it's common for people with decent flexibility to have to watch for it.

When I first started not keeping my core constantly engaged while doing squats and DL my lower back was feeling pressure, it wasn't pain/hurting I could just feel it. I think the natural curve of the lower back was curving to much and I needed to keep the core engaged to pull it back to normal.

If that makes sense...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back