Weight Training: Functional Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Deadlifting itself is a great grip-strengthening exercise. Are you using the alternate grip or the double overhand? The alternate grip is great for heavy weights and keeps the bar from rolling in your hand but the double overhand grip builds the grip strength best/fastest I read somewhere. Try doing all your warmup sets in double overhand reserving the alternate grip for heavy stuff. Straps can cause as many problems as they solve so I would avoid using them..Pull the bar like you would pull a rope or anything else, the bar should be further down near the hooks in your fingers, not in the middle of the hand which will help the rest of the lifting posture as well.
Cheers kaydub - I have been using double overhand for everything.
I tend to do 5 sets - 1 warm -up, and progressively add weight to a final set not exceeding 5 reps depending on the morning (normally closer to 3).

Bar is definately near the hooks of the fingers - last rep of the last set or two it's generally just 4 fingers lifting.

Have been going to the gym on and off for the past year (mostly off). Basically all i did was train the beach muscles, with a few squats thrown in. I would like to do it properly this time and am going to start Rippletoe's program to gain a solid base.

My goals are, in order:
1) Get leaner (am 6ft, 82 kilos)
2) Get stronger.
3) Get bigger.

Already doing a lot of cardio, just wondering how important diet is to gaining strength with SS (given that getting bigger isn't a huge thing for me at the moment)?

Have been going to the gym on and off for the past year (mostly off). Basically all i did was train the beach muscles, with a few squats thrown in. I would like to do it properly this time and am going to start Rippletoe's program to gain a solid base.

My goals are, in order:
1) Get leaner (am 6ft, 82 kilos)
2) Get stronger.
3) Get bigger.

Already doing a lot of cardio, just wondering how important diet is to gaining strength with SS (given that getting bigger isn't a huge thing for me at the moment)?

Good nutrition is vital. Just eat healthy fresh food and lots of it.

It's been posted on this forum before, but a good tip to help with strength is to stop drinking alcohol (unless you dont drink already of course). Alcohol has a catabolic effect on muscle.

Good nutrition is vital. Just eat healthy fresh food and lots of it.

It's been posted on this forum before, but a good tip to help with strength is to stop drinking alcohol (unless you dont drink already of course). Alcohol has a catabolic effect on muscle.

Yeah, am planning to give up the grog for a while. Saturday was supposed to be the last hurrah, yet unforeseen circumstances have changed that now.

With nutrition, if i'm planning to have a lower calorie diet in order to lose a few kilos, will it affect my strength gains?

If it's all muscle and you're around 6-10% I'd say you'd look both huge and shredded.

A lot of footballers are around 180-184 and sit around 78-82ish and look massive. It's a little bit leaner but I wouldn't say unhealthy.

Although, I guess if you can't see your abs already you've still got a bit of body fat. gl with getting that off before summer! :p

Try doing all your warmup sets in double overhand reserving the alternate grip for heavy stuff.
Definately makes a difference, cheers :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

alright, probably better ways if you're main goal is to squat 1.5 x bw

it means that you train to failure which in then name of strength is a big no no, let alone each week or thereabouts

doesn't seem to be enough in there myself, i'm not sure how squatting the same sets/reps 3/week is meant to work - just a lot of overload to me...if you're going to train a movement that often then the sets/reps need to change each session i think

alright, probably better ways if you're main goal is to squat 1.5 x bw

it means that you train to failure which in then name of strength is a big no no, let alone each week or thereabouts

doesn't seem to be enough in there myself, i'm not sure how squatting the same sets/reps 3/week is meant to work - just a lot of overload to me...if you're going to train a movement that often then the sets/reps need to change each session i think
Each session the weight increases. So if I'm doing 50kg on Monday, I'd then do 55kg on Wednesday, 60kg on Friday, etc. The theory is, since you're starting out lightly, (empty bar for an absolute novice to get the form right), you should continue to see steady gains without burning out until you approach 1.5x bw. Will see how that goes and if it does get too hard (I recover slowly enough as it), I'll probably change it to 3x5.

I started at 50kg today. Was doing about 80kg a few months ago (haven't been gym since about mid season) but only 3x6 and probably wasn't squatting deep enough. Starting lighter to get the technique right and also get used to the extra volume.

I know i sound like an old school hero, but you guys overcomplicate this s**t way too much. Every aspect of it.

? Reason I changed to this routine is because it's pretty damn simple. 2 workouts, 3 major exercises each, 2 optional exercises. Alternate workouts.

Seems fairly uncomplicated to me.

? Reason I changed to this routine is because it's pretty damn simple. 2 workouts, 3 major exercises each, 2 optional exercises. Alternate workouts.

Seems fairly uncomplicated to me.

I don't know, all this talk about how much weight to do, percentages of maximums, how much to go up per set or day or whatever. I just started training again after a 3 or so month gap, did arms on friday i couldn't even tell you what the weight was if my life depended on it. On any set. It was whatever felt right. It was whatever my muscles could handle without my joints and ligaments exploding. It might have been 80kg on tri-pushdowns or it might have been 120kg.

I can't comprehend doing it any other way.

Tues = chin ups (upper back, biceps) // deadlift 3x5 (lower back, legs) /// leg extentions 3x5 (thighs) /// calf raises 3x5 (calfs) /// pull downs 3x5(upper back) /// core

Wed = chin ups (upper back, biceps) /// bicep curls 3x8 // bench press 3x5 (chest) /// tricep extention 3x5 (triceps) /// shoulder raises 3x5 (shoulders) /// crunches (abs)

Fri = weight crunches (abs) /// squats 3x5 (legs) /// lunges 3x5 per leg (legs) /// step up plyometrics (legs) /// core (abs)

Sat = decline bench 3x5 (chest) /// tricep, narrow grip bench 3x5 (triceps) /// incline bench 3x5 (shoulders) ///push ups (chest) /// dips (triceps) /// wingspan (shoulders) /// pull ups (arms) /// curls 3x8 (biceps).

Done a bit of work last offseason found some favourite exercises (bench, wingspans and curls) and learnt some you just need to do (shoulder press, deadlift and chin ups). 20 year old but havent spent too much time in the gym, dont wanna get massive just a bit of strength to compliment my running game.
critique it guys.

If it's all muscle and you're around 6-10% I'd say you'd look both huge and shredded.

A lot of footballers are around 180-184 and sit around 78-82ish and look massive. It's a little bit leaner but I wouldn't say unhealthy.

Although, I guess if you can't see your abs already you've still got a bit of body fat. gl with getting that off before summer! :p

Goals aren't geared towards the start of december, more towards the end of march.

Warm up sets, then 5 sets at the same weight. Aim to increase by a few kilos each session till reaching 1.5x bodyweight squat. After that, change the program as it'd be taxing otherwise.
Migth want to think about mixing the chins up a bit and any week you do workout B twice.
I plateaued for a couple of months until I started changing it up.
Doing weighted on Mondays (just a dumbell held between the feet), on Thursday doing max reps of just BW. Seems to make a huge difference.

know i sound like an old school hero, but you guys overcomplicate this s**t way too much. Every aspect of it

coming from someone who just had a 3 month break and done an arm day....if you don't have planned progression than you're program or whatever you do is useless

Each session the weight increases. So if I'm doing 50kg on Monday, I'd then do 55kg on Wednesday, 60kg on Friday, etc. The theory is, since you're starting out lightly, (empty bar for an absolute novice to get the form right), you should continue to see steady gains without burning out until you approach 1.5x bw. Will see how that goes and if it does get too hard (I recover slowly enough as it), I'll probably change it to 3x5.

I started at 50kg today. Was doing about 80kg a few months ago (haven't been gym since about mid season) but only 3x6 and probably wasn't squatting deep enough. Starting lighter to get the technique right and also get used to the extra volume.

just not sold on the emphasise of the squat above everything else...what if you can;t squat properly because of structural difficulties?

Tues = chin ups (upper back, biceps) // deadlift 3x5 (lower back, legs) /// leg extentions 3x5 (thighs) /// calf raises 3x5 (calfs) /// pull downs 3x5(upper back) /// core

Wed = chin ups (upper back, biceps) /// bicep curls 3x8 // bench press 3x5 (chest) /// tricep extention 3x5 (triceps) /// shoulder raises 3x5 (shoulders) /// crunches (abs)

Fri = weight crunches (abs) /// squats 3x5 (legs) /// lunges 3x5 per leg (legs) /// step up plyometrics (legs) /// core (abs)

Sat = decline bench 3x5 (chest) /// tricep, narrow grip bench 3x5 (triceps) /// incline bench 3x5 (shoulders) ///push ups (chest) /// dips (triceps) /// wingspan (shoulders) /// pull ups (arms) /// curls 3x8 (biceps).

Done a bit of work last offseason found some favourite exercises (bench, wingspans and curls) and learnt some you just need to do (shoulder press, deadlift and chin ups). 20 year old but havent spent too much time in the gym, dont wanna get massive just a bit of strength to compliment my running game.
critique it guys.

not great really - 3 bench variations plus push ups and dips? the chest doesn't do everything for footy and not a great deal in actual fact...

and how are your rounded shoulders?

if i was you, i'd cut chest exercises to 2/week and replace the others rowing variations

coming from someone who just had a 3 month break and done an arm day....if you don't have planned progression than you're program or whatever you do is useless

I always do arms for the first 3 or 4 workouts after a long layoff. It helps my shoulders and elbows get back into some form and just helps me prepare mentally for what's coming.

My size and progression are fine, my program is far from useless because i don't have a program. The problem is too many people listen to faux-scientists when it comes to weight training and increasing size/strength, instead of just using common sense and finding what's best for them through experience.

For me, progression is : am i lifting more than i did last week/month, am i gaining strength/size, and am i managing my shoulder/elbow/back problems ok?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back