Weight Training: Functional Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Weight Training: Building Muscle

So why does my lower back hurt any time I try and introduce squatting to a program? I've tried traditional high-bar and the Starting Strength low-bar style. Filmed my form, which seems ok. Certainly could do with more depth (I can manage to just about parallel), but my lower back isn't rounding, as far as I can see.

Is it normal to have a pretty constant sense of discomfort/mild ache (I wouldn't call it 'pain', per se; just a general stiffness/oreness) while sitting when you first start squatting? Doesn't hurt at all while standing/lying down. And no discomfort while actually squatting. It tends to be an after-the-fact issue.

I'm hesitant to just 'push through it' the way I would with most other minor discomfort, 'cause I don't particularly want to risk injuring my back. But I would like to get it sorted out so I can start squatting, as I am a skinny mofo who needs it.

I have the exact same problem.

I'd be very surprised if someone was squatting and had gone to such lengths to rectify it and wasn't aware of how to breathe in the exercise!

Do bodyweight squats give you the same sensation?

Are you sure it's causal? It's not related to deadlifts or any other exercise you're doing in the gym? Or exercise you're doing outside of it?

Having said that, I would expect some sort of soreness from squatting, especially considering you're doing it intermittently at best from what I can tell. More likely for it to be in the quads and glutes though than the lower back.

Don't get the problem with bw squats. Or even bar squats,really. It's once I start adding the weight. Back's fine today having just woken up, but it'd be sure to start aching were I to sit down for any length of time. It's a pretty distinct sort of discomfort from the usual DOMS. And yeah, I don't feel it in my legs much at all, really. I'm doing the SS progression, and am nowhere near my actual limits of my leg strength yet. It's my back that's slowing me down.

I'm familiar with taking a big breath and bracing the abs throughout the rep, but it doesn't seem to help much.

it's not breathing, it's bracing - completely different...maybe you need to look it up too

Not really, I know exactly what it is.

It's still (without the addition of a belt which helps*) still, to me, the breathing part of a lift, I'd be very surprised if someone didn't know how to manage that if they were squatting, deadlifting etc - hence what I said. But what you said is definitely still relevant if he doesn't.

*I wouldn't advise using a belt if you're just starting to squat or dead and getting pain, even if it did rectify it. I'd rather go light enough to not experience pain and work back up.

I still think it's possible the poster is just experiencing some stiffness from not having done them. Even if I've missed a certain exercise or been away on holiday for a while, coming back is always a little bit of a shock.

his posture is probably out of whack and stuck in lordosis so i'd maybe drop squats until he improves his hip/ankle mobility, stretches and hip flexors and quads and strengthen glutes and core and then bring them back

squats strengthen squats

the glutes are used at certain points of the exercise but if you couldn't rely on them soley to strengthen the glutes in my opinion

and you also can't strengthen what doesn't work

squats strengthen squats

the glutes are used at certain points of the exercise but if you couldn't rely on them soley to strengthen the glutes in my opinion

and you also can't strengthen what doesn't work
Yes squats strengthen squats but that doesn't mean the only people who should do squats are power lifters who are going to compete.

You can still do squats alongside other glute excercies imo.

With your third point; thats why I thought you meant activate them. Hating on my office job. Co-workers must think I'm crazy with the constant stretching I do!

his posture is probably out of whack and stuck in lordosis so i'd maybe drop squats until he improves his hip/ankle mobility, stretches and hip flexors and quads and strengthen glutes and core and then bring them back

Are there general benchmarks in regards to flexibility/mobility you ought to be able to meet before jumping into the squat? I've seen plenty of things you (and others) have posted on here, and plenty of other stuff from around the net, about hip mobility and the like, and I've given them all a decent crack. Still get the sore back after squatting.

step 1 - ankle mobility aiming to get 15cms from wall without your foot caving inwards, especially your arch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8g_IKe7inY

step 2 - checking what squat depth you should aim for like this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQRkr4kebTw

lumbar flexion in a regular squat is where the bum starts to tuck under at the bottom of the movement like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwPy_EI3tok

you need to find a box that gets your arse down to it BEFORE you go into lumbar flexion

step 3 - thoracic extension which will let you know if should back squat, front squat or goblet squat...if you can'y get your arms back properly to hold the bb on a back squat then your body weight will shift forward and coupled with ordinary ankle and hip mobility, you're knee's will not like you very much...test like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9a-CrWswJw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYaO1bssLk

if any of these is a fail, even by a little bit then it needs constant addressing...i would go as far as to say you'll probably fail all 3 of them and if you do, stick with goblet squats until your mobility is up to par and try deadlifts for lower body strength

Cheers kirky. Have filmed my form before, and don't seem to be going into lumbar flexion. I do notice the bar drifts forward on the way down, though, which is probably the cause of my problems.

I'll work on mobility and stick to the goblet for the time being.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great advice about the ankle mobility, I found out I have terrible ankle mobility and it has lead me to all sorts of foot problems. 15cm is a huge number for most people, I see him do it in the video but I honestly think most people would be happy with 10cm!

I about 7/8 atm and I have been working at it for almost a year, but I started with about 1cm when I finally severely strained my fascia.

Most people need work in ankle mobility and don't even know it! The techniques in this video and cross massage with an ice bottle on the tendons/fascia have made all the difference for me, so I would recommend this to anyone with ankle problems (everyone)

[YOUTUBE]vxr9-IB0Rr4[/YOUTUBE]

I just tried and managed 17. Any further than that and my knee wasn't making the wall lol.

11cm - and some smarmy comments from two fat workmates.

"It's a heath and fitness thing" saw them lose interest pretty quickly

with the kneeling test it's 10cms range of motion from a 90 degree starting point but here are the rules for the standing wall ankle mobility test:

1 - hip, knee, ankle and 2nd big toe are to stay in perfect line with each other

2 - make sure your arch doesn't fall in and you go into pronation or flat feet

3 - make sure that your pushing directly down into the floor from your hips through the testing leg so your heel is taking all your bodyweight

4 - your knee must actually touch the wall, not get near it

5 - do in barefeet

now re-test and post your results

with the kneeling test it's 10cms range of motion from a 90 degree starting point but here are the rules for the standing wall ankle mobility test:

1 - hip, knee, ankle and 2nd big toe are to stay in perfect line with each other

2 - make sure your arch doesn't fall in and you go into pronation or flat feet

3 - make sure that your pushing directly down into the floor from your hips through the testing leg so your heel is taking all your bodyweight

4 - your knee must actually touch the wall, not get near it

5 - do in barefeet

now re-test and post your results
I was doing it wrong. 12cm.

17cms.

Though before I had to stop running I used to run ~8kms a day barefoot, maybe that helps?

I'm also pretty flexible in general for someone who doesn't stretch, often getting in the +12 range with the hands over the feet etc.

Replaced the back squats with goblet squats last night, and feeling a lot better for it. Deadlifted, too, without much by the way of back discomfort today, so it seems like it's something I'm doing when squatting.

Filmed my goblet squats, and my range of motion and back angle were pretty good, it looked like. Would that suggest my problem with the back squat is more to today with upper-body mobility?

For that ankle thing, I can get from 21-22cms. And I'm only 171cms, so that should give an indication as to how flexible my ankles are. My ankles are really flexible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back