Welcome Darren Glass and Jarrod Cotton

Remove this Banner Ad

so since last year we will have added ideas and knowledge from Port, Sydney and West Coast. Pretty happy with that!
Can we steal someone from Hawthorn just to round it out?
we did - cheney and lowden!

What would the players know?

I wish people would stop saying stupid blanket statements about Clarke and Campo with no reasoning or analysis other than an appeal to popularity.

I thought our ability to stop the opposition loose players outside of stoppages was appalling but there were other areas we were top notch. I don't know if the weak bits were Sando or Campo but I think considering the respect players have for Campo he must be a genuinely good leader and coach, and I think Phil can guide him in the right strategy for the midfield. I have no problem with Campo considering the actual evidence of internal respect and inside stoppage work stats. Does the midfield plan need some tweaking? Yes. Does that mean Campo is a s**t coach? No.

Clarke coached the best ruck in the competition. I don't know how else you want to judge him.

My only reservation with Clarke is that the only ruckman on our list that has improved is Sauce. We had already seen Sauce ruck pretty well although he was 3rd in line down at the Blues. His first year with us was outstanding, so I'm hesitant to place an enormous amount of credit onto Clarke for turning him around in a single pre-season. No other ruckman on our list has improved during their time with him and some may argue that both Maric and Griffin looked better after leaving. But again, can a single pre-season makes such a difference and I accept Maric was very serviceable for us.

It's definitely a bit harder with Campo because there's a very good chance that Sando wanted his midfield heavily geared towards winning contested ball and pounding it into our tall, envy of the comp, forward line. If that was the case then Campo has delivered outstanding results. Having said that after winning the contested ball and getting it forward, the midfield group is still responsible for defensive action and that was not particularly good. Having said that, I'd suggest that our poor defensive pressure started in a less than mobile forward line and was parlayed through the midfield. I'm expecting that we will be a lot more mobile next year and our forward line will be covering a lot more ground and allowing our mids to not have to work so far forward.

And to the disciples of Pods, covering ground does not refer to jogging back to defence to be a loose man. I'm referring to hard running and chasing in and around our forward 50 allowing our mids a chance to provide some pressure on the ball carrier when it's their turn.

Anyway, good appointment in Glass. I had been against recruiting any more L-platers, but with Sando gone and given Walsh's time in the game, then it's probably much less of an issue. I wonder whether Cotton was available full time last year, but we limited his input due to financial constraints or whether he may have been undertaking some study or another role himself.

Ha ha good call. Of course I was thinking more in terms of coaching or even list management. Hopefully one of them is smart enough to be able to offer a lot of inside information.
i know - smartassery runs through my veins.. :)

Great get for the crows, look after him.. Loving that this sort of news upset's the power flogs..
Still moaning about a bump? As stated before a bump outside the rules, but come on.. Do they realise this is football..

Don't mention Mark Bickley to them...

The only sobering thought about our coaching line up apart from fitness coach and Clarke still there (but only until Lade replaces him next year) is all posters badly wanted a ex forward player to become our forward coach but not only did we not get that in Teague but all his coaching background as a back coach .
Now we have to have faith in new coach but felt that aspect gone through to the keeper on this board.
But great to get Glass but the glass only half full .
BAssett is forward coach at Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great get for the crows, look after him.. Loving that this sort of news upset's the power flogs..
Still moaning about a bump? As stated before a bump outside the rules, but come on.. Do they realise this is football..
They obviously forgot about one of the biggest snipers the game has seen - Byron Pickett. Hypocrites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back