Welcome Draft Pick #11 - Wayne Milera

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon if we had a pick in the top 10 Milera or C. Ah Chee would have been at Port

*At our first pick I'd say it was best player (in our eyes) still available regardless of what anyone thinks our desperate needs are.

You blokes did well I think in the Trade & Draft period

You wouldn't think so with the way some carry on here.

Gary Buckenara says 6 draftees are likely to play AFL next year. Milera is one of them.

Some of his form this year in the SANFL would probably have warranted a call up (ignoring Wright's gold pass).

Hey he's played against them he knows more than them.

I played with and against a few AFL listed guys in my youth, the most rubbish 2 turned out to be the only 2 that had good careers.
Played against nick reiwaldt and David hale in juniors, I could never see the hype around Hale at the time. Riewaldt played like he was a one man team, didn't matter where he was everyone seemed to just give him the ball, even our team.

Lol, so we should believe you instead of people whose job it is to identify talent? When every club had him rated in the top 12 non academy players?

I don't care if you don't believe me... I wouldn't believe some random on the internet either

I'm just saying when they stay average forever let me know I'm right and you're wrong and if they turn out handy enough I'll be more than happy to admit I'm wrong. Usually thats what by mark my words means...

We don't need a Bonner type. His weaknesses are that he has no contested game (which is very hard to teach) and no defence. We already picked up Seedsman/Menzel who have similar issues but have more runs on the board.

I'd argue, Arch, that you can teach contested footy to a degree. Bonner will never be at a Wines/Boak contested ball level, but Hinkley will deliver the same message that Polec received. Hinkley won't play players who can't win their own footy when it's their turn to go.

I do agree that he lacks the defensive side to his game. It will be interesting to watch over the pre-season, and see if Bassett's influence will improve that side of his game.

The front of the Advertiser said "Wayne's World" but unfortunately the article was about Milera, not spruiking a new columnist they'd employed.
:eek: ....you mean i didn't get the job? .....but i've spent the money already & studied Rooch's style, if that's what you call it

But it's about bloody time my username progressed from Wayne Carey to someone a little more current & relevant

Happy with the Milera association ......but Damn, i thought i had that job!

I'd argue, Arch, that you can teach contested footy to a degree. Bonner will never be at a Wines/Boak contested ball level, but Hinkley will deliver the same message that Polec received. Hinkley won't play players who can't win their own footy when it's their turn to go.

I do agree that he lacks the defensive side to his game. It will be interesting to watch over the pre-season, and see if Bassett's influence will improve that side of his game.
Don't agree with this. Polec always had a little bit of an edge to him as a junior, just hadn't shown much of it at AFL level due to inexperience.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Polec's still as soft as Nathan Lonie though let's face it. He rocks up to the game and the boot studder's placed a pair of skis at the front of his locker.

Don't take this the wrong way because you know how highly I rate him but Polec is still soft, mate. Seen him squib plenty of contests. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that though. You don't need to be hard at it when you have contested beasts like Wines/Boak. My comment was more that we don't particularly need an outside Bonner-type after our recruiting of Seedsman/Menzel/Hampton (the first two who have those questions marks on them too) and even Milera.

I'd argue that if a player is very outside at 18, he'll probably always be that way to a degree. It's hard to teach that.

Don't take this the wrong way because you know how highly I rate him but Polec is still soft, mate. Seen him squib plenty of contests. There's nothing necessarily wrong with that though. You don't need to be hard at it when you have contested beasts like Wines/Boak. My comment was more that we don't particularly need an outside Bonner-type after our recruiting of Seedsman/Menzel/Hampton (the first two who have those questions marks on them too) and even Milera.

I'd argue that if a player is very outside at 18, he'll probably always be that way to a degree. It's hard to teach that.

Polec has squibbed contests, but he has also won some of his own footy, too. At the end of the day, you are exactly right when saying that if your role is an outside distributor, you don't need to become a contested footy beast- you just need to go when its your turn. My comment re. teaching contested footy to a degree, is learning exactly that.

Really cannot believe Port got Bonner at 40ish? With their first pick anyway, rate him over Milera having played against both.

They are not being judged on how good they are now, but how good they will be and the extent to which their skills, style and physical character will translate to the next level

Not sure how much of that you can glean by playing in a team against them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back