Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

We have not had an elite shutdown player for years. With Kerridge and Wright gone and VB on his last legs I think Doedee is being groomed for that exact position. Luke Brown is doing an ok job but is quite short and needs some help...

We have not had an elite shutdown player for years. With Kerridge and Wright gone and VB on his last legs I think Doedee is being groomed for that exact position. Luke Brown is doing an ok job but is quite short and needs some help...
Nothing like recruiting a tagger with pick 13/17, hey.

I think we're all jumping the gun a bit early, watch him groomed as a big bodied mid!

Youre right our recruiters in their eyes saw Doedee as a better option than Burton, Collins, Balic, Bonner. If the consideration was a close call I could understand their logic but this kid was predicted to go around pick 50, with SEN saying a couple of clubs were hoping to grab him towards the end of the draft only yesterday.

To say this wasnt the most enormous punt of the draft is ridiculous. Collingwoods punt at 32 wasnt as great as this one, considering it was suggested this was a shallow draft and pick 13 was an important pick as talent was available, and was thin after pick 20.

As for trusting our recruiters, get the runs on the board first, be a consistent finals contender to earn that trust, its not given because they are the AFC.

It doesn't matter where amateur observers predicted anyone to go.

It matters that our recruiters, who have aced our first round picks and the vast majority of our selections for the last decade, thought he was best available pick.

They've been following his junior games since he was 15, they've seen him play as a forward and a mid. They have much more information than any of us.

By the way, if you're looking at consistent finals appearances over the last twenty years, we are one of the best sides in the competition.

To make decisions like this that appear to have no logic, there needs to be consequences, if this is a complete failure it will need to be revisited as all the failures we have had need be, or we will stay a middle of the table team with no chance of taking a flag.

But suggesting this isnt an enormous punt is just plain stupid. I am just interested to know their logic, instead of trust us, they have nowhere near earnt the trust of the AFC supporter base, we want a flag, its been too bloody long between drinks.

What are the other recruiting failures we've had in the last, say, ten or twelve years?

So Ogilvey grabbed Lever last year and hes are be all end all, Rendell left in 2012 and most would know he was good? I am not trusting Ogilvey with anything after one pick, lever is good, fair pick for a first rounder but I wouldnt expect anything less would you?

Many attribute Ogilvy with much of the success during Rendell's reign. He was doing the leg work and making the unexpected suggestions.

11745419_1459106387742275_7676522636770123712_n.jpg

You are winning as Poster of the Week by the length of the straight. Just fantastic work.

Yeah I reckon Rendall is a tad overrated and Ogilvy seems to be abit if a gun.

Bloody hell, Mike. I think we agree.

I liked Rendell, but some of the things he said didn't actually inspire confidence. Ogilvy seems like someone that just eats, drinks and breaths footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Many attribute Ogilvy with much of the success during Rendell's reign. He was doing the leg work and making the unexpected suggestions.

Ogilvy was in charge of victorian recruitment under Rendell, it was Ogilvy that got us Sloane, Dangerfield and Talia

With the amount of recruiting experts on this board, it's a wonder the crows even bother having half a dozen full time recruiters who spend every waking hour watching games, analysing recruiting metrics and doing character assessments.
No doubt I'm going to back the recruiting team over the media experts but I don't think they'd do insane hours individually but I guess as a collective it adds up.

Seem to recall the recruiters not getting big $$$ a few years ago when it was discussed so I guess there's a good chance many of them have other jobs as well but spend their weekends at the games. Guessing Ogilvie would be a little different to the others in terms of pay check since he's the main man.

With the amount of recruiting experts on this board, it's a wonder the crows even bother having half a dozen full time recruiters who spend every waking hour watching games, analysing recruiting metrics and doing character assessments.

The armchair eggsperts on this board really need to send their resumes into all the clubs.

I hope this kid turns out to be a superstar just so all the dummy-spitters can have enough egg on their face that you could smack them with a frying pan and call them an omelette.

Just like the Knicks fans in the last NBA Draft over Porzingas and look at him now

drafting is pretty much the key to having a shot at the flag!

Yeah... Nah.

Based on the last twenty years, some kind of concessions from the AFL are required

Drafting is great but you need more than one first round pick in a year to get a leg up... Three is preferred

jake kelly ? this selection potentially puts his position in jeopardy

i'm thinking they see doedee being more than a shutdown defender

No doubt I'm going to back the recruiting team over the media experts but I don't think they'd do insane hours individually but I guess as a collective it adds up.

Seem to recall the recruiters not getting big $$$ a few years ago when it was discussed so I guess there's a good chance many of them have other jobs as well but spend their weekends at the games. Guessing Ogilvie would be a little different to the others in terms of pay check since he's the main man.
3-4 full timers these days and 8-12 weekend watchers

the full timers do insane hours including driving hours a weekend (esp in victoria) and watching multiple games on weekend, vision from all leagues during week , training, interviews, phone calls etc etc

it becomes an obsession more than a job

Remove this Banner Ad

Back