Player Watch Tom Doedee - Departed for Brisbane, End of 1st Round FA Compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Premierships as the only metric of success is idiotic, agreed.

Distance to, and proximity to winning premierships is a fantastic metric, and just about the only one that matters.

Under that criteria, we have not been within cooee for a decade. Though i don't blame drafting. Our historic allergy to trading however...
We got robbed by biased umpires in 2012 from playing off in a grand final... So it's not like we were miles off.

Not sure what you are insinuating. Maybe you can give me some more infomation regarding this quote?
If I was the AFC and I wanted to stop negative comment towards the club I would "plant" a few of our own to shout down any "agitators" and talk up the club to ridiculous levels.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Have you ever seen Phil Harper and Baccs in the same room at the same time?? Hmmm

Doedee definitely fills a need if he lives up to AFC's predictions. Whilst its contentious where he should have gone, I think he is a missing piece in the back 7.

The ideal back 7 IMO has:
2 small defenders
2 medium defenders
2 genuine key defenders
1 3rd tall.

But going even deeper 1 of those 2 need to be a great 1 on 1 lock down player.

Brown is the elite 1 on 1 lock down small defender. Laird more attacking one.

Talia is the elite 1 on 1 lock down key defender. Hartigan the other.

Doedee will hopefully be the 1 on 1 lock down medium defender. Smith/Seedsman the attacking medium defender.

Lever potential all-Australian 3rd tall.

I think more and more, with less rotations, gun mids (who have good marking ability) will rest deep forward.
The likes of Fyfe, Dustin Martin, Ziebell, Dangerfield, Ablett. Then there is permanent dangerous medium forwards like D.Menzel, Breust, Stevie J types. Doedee definitely fills a missing piece in our back 7.

At this stage I wouldn't trust anyone in our best 22 to play on those types. We want Smith (while in defense) to be released and able to play attacking either as a loose man or playing on a non damaging forward.

Hendo is a garbage defender, Seedsman, Jaensch & Hampton are more attacking half backs. Kellg is capable to play as an accountable medium defender but he may not have enough tools to be in our best defensive 7 in our ultimate premiership team.

Doedee is by all reports a very good 1 on 1 medium sized defender who also has good athletic traits and appears to use the ball pretty well and makes good decisions.

I have also banged on about intercept markers in defense for a while now. In the last 2 years we've added to that with Lever & Doedee.

Having said all that I would have preferred Burton and our tall forward stocks are looking very shaky.
We saw what Dickson did to smith in the WB final. Smith is not a very good lock down defender.

Some good points here.

No, you should just agree with the whatever the AFC feed you. When the whole of Australia has questioned a drafting decision, its ok as long as a few BF posters say in the AFC we trust because we are the most succesful club in the AFL(not Premierships but in drafting).

Wow the whole of Australia. When was the referendum held?

So first it was all the experts, now its the whole of Australian. Tomorrow it will be the whole of the Asia Pacific, the day after it will be all of Europe and all of the Americas.
By Monday it will be everyone or thing living in the known universe, Tuesday it will be everyone in the known and unknown Galaxies.

By the way I'm still waiting for you to reply to my post # 1479 on page 60 which you have conveniently ignored. Your reply to that should set us all straight and vindicate your posting.

Last edited:
I want to get in on this. Tippett was a punt. Basketball background etc. Hudson was a punt. Basketball background and an awesome beard.

Obviously the Crows have him in mind for some reason.

That being said.....it feels odd to have gone against the grain. There are many decent selectors who did not rate him that high....hence him being a shock pick. Either we know something they don't (like Dangerfield) or we have taken a gamble. I don't mind a good punt though. Hope it pays off!!

Standing vertical jump was top 10% by memory , I posted it before . Speed was top 40% over 20m so above average but not lightning

Agility was definitely his best result and probably the thing that pricked recruiters ears at the combine

Endurance was middle of the road , but that's the easy part to work on

Surprising that bonner is 191cm + and doedee is 187cm as in footage doedee looks or plays taller

Bonner is a smooth mover and I'm jealous port have him

This is Bonner, who had two tackles the entire u/18 carnival?

I guess you can work on that, but it's a bit of a worry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Premierships as the only metric of success is idiotic, agreed.

Distance to, and proximity to winning premierships is a fantastic metric, and just about the only one that matters.

Under that criteria, we have not been within cooee for a decade. Though i don't blame drafting. Our historic allergy to trading however...

Probably fair enough re trading. Very frustrating in the past decade, how passive we've been.

I feel we're actually within two years of being highly competitive for a flag but perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

If I was the AFC and I wanted to stop negative comment towards the club I would "plant" a few of our own to shout down any "agitators" and talk up the club to ridiculous levels.

I love a good conspiracy theory. Have you ever seen Phil Harper and Baccs in the same room at the same time?? Hmmm

Nah.

Genuinely, what you would do is plant a few flogs saying things against the club, to unite the fan base against them.

This is the basis of all propaganda, from Goebbels to George Bush. Create a threat to unite people on common ground.

And I'm not saying that you're Joseph Goebbels in this analogy, Mike, but maybe you ARE Stephen Trigg. This internet persona that attacks the club is just a fiction, so that the rest of us unite second supporting our team

Probably fair enough re trading. Very frustrating in the past decade, how passive we've been.

I feel we're actually within two years of being highly competitive for a flag but perhaps I'm overly optimistic.

Problem we're going to have is just when the playing group start moving into that flag contention bracket and games experience, Thompson and possibly Betts may have retired.

Milera is super important in 3-4 years time.

Phil Harper is a lot more self critical of Phil Harper than BACCS will ever be

Problem we're going to have is just when the playing group start moving into that flag contention bracket and games experience, Thompson and possibly Betts may have retired.

Milera is super important in 3-4 years time.

I think Betts could play for another 3-4 years.

No it isn't. The head recruiter can't get to all the games. He listens to his recruiters.

Rendell was in charge up to his sacking, the decisions were made by him he was referred talent by his staff. To suggest Ogilvie was responsible for the success of drafting is just plain stupid. As Don Pyke will be responsible for the teams performance not Campo.

Ogilvie had a first rounder last year in lever and chose him at this stage it appears a good choice not complaining, but to say he is a genius based on this and this left field punt should not be discussed or criticized is ridiculous. Yes we will have to wait but I am actually glad some people see the need to discuss, even the club coining out and saying trust us. They know it's an odd pick and will be monitored, but to not fully trust the club is fair enough, unless you want to continue to put up with a middle of the table club for the next twenty years because that's what we have seen for the past 17 years.

Wow the whole of Australian. When was the referendum held?

So first it was all the experts, now its the whole of Australian. Tomorrow it will be the whole of the Asia Pacific, the day after it will be all of Europe and all of the Americas.
By Monday it will be everyone or thing living in the known universe, Tuesday it will be everyone in the known and unknown Galaxies.

By the way I'm still waiting for you to reply to my post # 1479 on page 60 which you have conveniently ignored. Your reply to that should set us all straight and vindicate your posting.

Club doing everything right then is it, looking forward to a fantastic season making the top 4, why don't you check most experts tips for the Top 8 you might find a worrying trend towards us.

Considering we have drafted so well for the past 7 years and trading who can complain about that we have effectively brought in Thompson, betts, Jacobs, Lynch, Jenkins and Chenney over this period, could that get much better?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back